IGNORED

HSC01 Round 5: Clowns/Brickyard

ballyalley

"Clowns" and "Brickyard" (both on the same cartridge) are the two games for Round 5 of the Astrocade High Score Club. Round 5 will last two weeks. The round ends on Sunday, April 17'th at 8pm MST.

Clowns/Brickyard

"Clowns" is a color port of the Midway's 1978 B&W arcade game "Clowns." The second game, "Brickyard," is a "Breakout" clone.

post-4925-0-70976200-1459878366_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-09268300-1459878434_thumb.gifpost-4925-0-49754700-1459878433_thumb.gif

"Two exciting and challenging games! Brickyard! Score points by breaking through the wall of bricks. Eliminate the last brick for a big bonus. Two players can even play at different skill levels. Clowns! Get the highest score on the laugh meter as your clown catapults off the teeter-totter to break through the balloons. Up to 4 players."

The "Clowns/Brickyard" cartridge ROM image (called "brckyard.bin") is part of this archive:

http://www.ballyalley.com/emulation/cart_images/cart_images.html#AstrocadeROMCollection

The "Clowns/Brickyard" manual is here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/cart_manuals/pdf_manuals/Brickyard_(instructions)(bally)(color)(300%20dpi).pdf

Here is a brief review of "Clowns/Brickyard" from Digital Press.com:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/clowns.htm

Here is a second review of the "the game."

http://videogamecritic.com/astroal.htm#crev680

Here is a video review of "Clowns/Brickyard" by "Nice and Games:"

"Brickyard" play settings for the Astrocade High Score Club are:

Difficulty - Intermediate
# of Balls - 5

"Clowns: Play settings for the Astrocade High Score Club are:

# of Clowns - 5

(Note that "Clowns" does not offer varying degrees of difficulty.)

As usual, 10 points can be earned this round (excluding bonus points): "Clowns" and "Brickyard" will be worth 5 points each.

"Clowns/Brickyard" Bonus Points

There are two ways to score bonus points in "Clowns/Brickyard:"

1) Highest Level Reached - The player who reaches the highest level will earn a bonus point. I'm not sure how easy it will be to keep track of which level you're on. I guess the total number of points can be used to figure-out which level a player reaches.

2) Beating 1,722 Points in "Brickyard" - The "Scoreboard" (from the "Arcadian" newsletter) from February 9 - March 14 1984 featured a high score of 1,722 points for "Brickyard" set by Kelly Prosise. The first person to beat her score on the level she played (Professional difficulty, with 5 balls) will earn an extra point. Note that this is not the difficulty level that will be played for the normal round-- so please be specific when you are posting to beat this score.

"Brick 'N The Wall" (BASIC Bonus Game)

Like last round's "L.T. Little Terrestrial," this round's BASIC game, "Brick 'N The Wall," is another game by WaveMakers (more specifically, it's credited to Mike Peace). This is a BASIC version of "Breakout." I don't think that this was originally released on tape, as it was included as a very short, 20 line, type-in program that was originally printed in the June 1982 "Arcadian" newsletter (and later reprinted in April 1984). Or maybe this game was on tape first, as this program was included as a free program on some "WaveMakers" tapes (part of a compilation called "Four Famous Freebies"). This game runs in either "Bally BASIC" or "AstroBASIC." We'll be playing the "AstroBASIC" version of the game this round.

post-4925-0-19819800-1459879195_thumb.gif
post-4925-0-98230600-1459879195_thumb.gifpost-4925-0-76240900-1459879196_thumb.gif

The object of "Brick 'N The Wall" is to clear the screen of bricks. The game isn't fast (it actually starts out quite slow). The paddle is a bit sluggish too (but this is typical of most BASIC programs that read the hand controller's knob). I finished playing a complete game last night. It took a bit of time to adjust to its speed, but if I'd typed this in myself in 1982, then I wouldn't have regretted it. Certainly, keep in mind that this is a BASIC program; don't expect the fast speed or intensity of the game "Brickyard." With that thought, bear in mind that this game is only a few scant lines long, which is quite impressive!

I chose "Brick 'N the Wall" as the bonus game because, simply stated, it's another ball and paddle game that uses the knob. You can't go too far wrong with a game like that, right?

"Brick 'N The Wall" doesn't have (or need) a manual. But, since there isn't much documentation related to "Brick 'N The Wall," I consulted my Arcadian archives collection. I came up with Mike Peace's original program submission letter that he sent to Bob Fabris in about March of 1982. I typed it up to share here (this information hasn't been available until now):

"Enclosed is my tape of "Brick In The Wall." It is just a simplified version of the original brick yard. It plays in the same manner using the KN(1) to move the paddle. It will not remove the brick if it is not a direct frontal hit to the brick. I had a version that worked, but it cut the speed almost in half. This one plays reasonable fast enough to keep up your interest and uses only 729 programming bytes. In old basic the only change should be in line 30 instead of MU=62 at the end of the line make it MU=56."

The program listing for the game, can be viewed here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/newsletters/arcadian/arcadian_vol_4/arcadian_vol_4_issue_08.pdf#Page=3

"Brick 'N The Wall" Bonus Points

1) Playing "Brick 'N The Wall" - Just for playing "Brick 'N The Wall" you get a bonus point.

2) "Brick 'N The Wall" High Score - You can earn another bonus point if you get the highest score for this game.

3) Video of "Brick 'N The Wall" - To continue to promote Astrocade BASIC programs, a bonus point will be awarded to the first person to upload a video of "Brick 'N The Wall" containing a full game, plus the game's loading screen. No one was able to make a video of the BASIC bonus game in the last round. Hopefully someone can make one for this round.

The "Brick "N The Wall" AstroBASIC program is available here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/program_downloads/2000_baud_programs/wave_makers/Brick%20%27n%20the%20Wall%20%28WaveMakers%29.zip

Please post all of your scores for both games here. Scores posted on the Bally Alley discussion group will no longer be accepted. If you post a video score, then please note the score obtained in the video-- as this makes it easier for me to keep track of all the scores.

Have fun playing "Clowns/Brickyard" and, if you can manage it, enjoy the near-meditative pace offered by "Brick 'N The Wall". Enjoy your Bally Arcade!

Edited by ballyalley
  • Like 1

The dl link above doesn't work.

Simply go here and select it:

http://www.ballyalley.com/program_downloads/2000_baud_programs/wave_makers/

The link to "Brick 'N The Wall" is correct, but the filename has an apostrophe in it, and that apostrophe is screwing up the URL here in the AtariAge forums. When you click the URL, everything from the apostrophe on to the end of the URL is ignored. I noticed this happened in another post. Is there a work-around for this issue?

Adam

the filename has an apostrophe in it, and that apostrophe is screwing up the URL Is there a work-around for this issue?

The work-around is easy enough. I replaced the apostrophe with the html character equivalent (which is %27). I edited the original post, so now the link to the AstroBASIC game "Bricks 'N The Wall" works okay. The broken link didn't happen in the forum's edit mode-- it doesn't seem to occur until the post went "live."

(BTW: Thanks for pointing out the broken link error, darthkur.)

Adam

• Like 1

Here are the instructions for "Clowns/Brickyard:"

Brickyard/Clowns

Programmed by Bob Ogdon
Audio by Scot Norris

Two exciting and challenging games! Brickyard! Score points by breaking through the wall of bricks. Eliminate the last brick for a big bonus. Two players can even play at different skill levels. Clowns! Get the highest score on the laugh meter as your clown catapults off the teeter-totter to break through the balloons. Up to 4 players.

(For the Bally Arcade/Astrocade)

Brickyard (1 to 4 players)

Break through the colorful wall of bricks and score! Quickly, position your paddle under the ball again and bounce it back up into the layers of bricks.

As the ball hits the paddle, it moves faster and faster. When you knock out the last brick, you get a big bonus, a victory tune and a new set of bricks!

With this exciting action game, you can choose a variety of skill levels, game lengths and scoring options. You can even choose different skill levels for each player.

Starting the Game

Choose Brickyard by pressing 1 on the keypad or by using remote game selection (pull the trigger on hand control #1, turn the knob until 1 appears on the screen, then pull the trigger again).

Select the level of difficulty.

Level Play Action

1. Professional Small paddle, fast ball
2. Advanced Small paddle, slow ball
3. Intermediate Large paddle, fast ball
4. Beginner Large paddle, slow ball
5. Custom Select different levels of
difficulty for each player.

If you select a level from 1 to 4, enter the number of players (1-4) and continue.

If you select level 5, Custom, enter the number of players (2-4), then choose the level of difficulty for each player.

Enter the number of balls which each player will use (1-99). If you enter a number that is less than 9, press the = sign to start the game.

Playing Brickyard

The hand control functions for Brickyard are:

Trigger Releases the ball into the playing area.
Knob Moves the paddle right or left.
Joystick Has no function.

The object of the game is to knock out as many bricks as possible by bouncing the ball upward off the paddle into the various levels of colored bricks. Although the ball moves slowly at first, the speed increases as the playing continues.

After the ball hits a brick, it rebounds back to the paddle with varying speeds and angles. And, like a "real" paddle, hitting the ball on the corner results in steeper angles and faster action.

At the top of the screen is a box containing each player's number and score. The small box in the center contains the number of balls remaining. Players take turns moving the paddle and knocking out as many bricks as possible. The current player's turn is indicated by the dark colored box which surrounds his number. When he misses the ball, the next player's number is highlighted.

Scoring

When the ball hits a particular brick, the point value for that brick is awarded to the current player. The colored bricks have different point values:

Green bricks 3 Points
Blue bricks 5 points
Red bricks 5 points

In addition, 50 extra points are awarded to the player who knocks out the last brick on the screen. The bricks are instantly re-drawn, and normal scoring continues until, once again, only one brick remains. The winner is the one with the highest total score at the end of the game.

Strategies for Winning

The best way to play Brickyard is to keep the paddle under the ball at all times. This increases your ability to react quickly and anticipate where the ball will fall.

Also, whoever knocks out the last brick must think very quickly to keep from missing the ball. This is because the bricks are re-drawn so fast that the ball hits the next brick very quickly.

Playing Again

To play Brickyard again, press the RESET button, and follow the instructions for starting the game.

Clowns (1 to 4 players)

The circus organ starts to play and a clown steps out on the high platform. He jumps! Quick, position the teeter-totter to catch him and bounce him back into the air.

Aim him at the moving rows of green, red and blue balloons. If he hits one, it explodes with a pop and you score. Break the last balloon of each color for bonus points. Then, aim at a completely new row of balloons to keep increasing your score.

Starting Clowns

Choose Clowns by pressing 2 on the keypad or by using remote game selection (pull the trigger on hand control #1, turn the knob until 2 appears on the screen, then pull the trigger again).

Enter the number of players (1-4).

Select the number of clowns which each player will use (1-99). If you enter a number that is less than 9, press the = sign to start the game.

Playing the Game

The hand control functions for Clowns are:

Trigger Starts the game and releases the clowns into the playing area.
Knob Moves the teeter-totter right or left.
Joystick Has no function.

The object of the game is to break balloons by catching a clown on a teeter-totter and aiming him at three rows of balloons. The clown moves slowly at first, but picks up speed until he reaches his maximum.

A clown may move right through the lines of balloons, missing all of them, or he might pop several on his way up and even more on his way down. Several things determine his success. When he first bounces off the teeter-totter, his angle depends on how close to the middle of the board he landed. As he rises, then again as he falls, hitting a balloon changes both his path and his speed. Learning to control these is the secret to a high score in Clowns.

At the top of the screen is a box containing each player's number and score. The small box in the center contains the number of clowns remaining for each player. Players take turns moving the teeter-totter and breaking as many balloons as possible. The current player's turn is indicated by the dark colored box which surrounds his number. When his turn is over, the next player's number is highlighted.

Scoring

Each time a clown hits a balloon, points are scored according to the following table:

Green balloons 1 point
Red balloons 3 points
Blue balloons 5 points

In addition, extra points are awarded to the player who breaks the last balloon on a row:

Green row 20 bonus points
Red row 40 bonus points
Blue row 60 bonus points

The balloons are instantly reset, and normal scoring continues until, once again, the last balloon on a row is broken. The winner is the player with the highest total score at the end of the game.

Strategies for Winning

As you play Clowns, learn how the path of the clown is influenced by where he lands on the teeter-totter. Landing near the middle of the board, he goes straight up and straight down. He breaks very few balloons this way.

Try catching the clown on the end of the board. He shoots up at an extreme angle and will probably pop several balloons. The difficulty with this strategy is that it requires more skill to catch the clown coming down at this angle.

Playing Again

To play Clowns again, press the RESET button on the front of the Bally Professional Arcade, and follow the instructions for starting the game.

press 05 for number of clowns

You can also press the number of clowns or paddles that you want followed by the = sign (which, under MAME Astrocade emulation, is the "Enter" key in the number pad). Either way, if you want less than nine lives (well, in this game: clowns or paddles), then you have to press two keys: either a leading zero or the = sign.

Adam

If you're interested in Z80 assembly language programming for the Astrocade, then you should look at the disassembly of "Clowns/Brickyard" that I did back in 2011. It's not complete, but I did make some good progress. The cartridge is a 4K ROM image; viewing the disassembly is much easier to read than plowing your way through the ROM image in a hex editor! You can view the disassembly, here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/ml/ml_source/clowns.asm

The above code can be assembled using the Zmac Z80 assembler into the actual 100% byte-for-byte identical "Clowns/Brickyard" cartridge.

(I don't mean to get this HSC thread off-track. I do realize that most people have no interest at all in assembly language programming-- but for those that like to poke around and see what makes a game tick, then the disassembly can be fun to play around with.)

Adam

My phone didn't like my TV today, so I'll interpret:

Brickyard: 1018

2016 04 08 16.45.35

Clowns: 580

2016 04 08 17.13.29

Brick in the Wall: 470

2016 04 08 18.19.17

Saying the Basic game is slow is an understatement...I had to think of it more like pool or chess. On the positive side, it was the first program I have ever been able to load through the BASIC cart. I found a good method for this:
1. Download file to phone
2. Upload to a Dropbox or similar account.
3. Play the file through phone.
4. Enjoy.

You can also press the number of clowns or paddles that you want followed by the = sign (which, under MAME Astrocade emulation, is the "Enter" key in the number pad). Either way, if you want less than nine lives (well, in this game: clowns or paddles), then you have to press two keys: either a leading zero or the = sign.

Adam

Thanks, i was having trouble getting it to start with 5 balls/clowns

Saying the Basic game is slow is an understatement...I had to think of it more like pool or chess.

Yes, "Brick 'N The Wall" is slow, there's no doubt about that. What's not apparent, is that this game would run just a tad slower under the original Bally BASIC. As readers of the "Arcadian" and "Cursor" newsletters discovered new "tricks" to program in BASIC, the games progressed and got better. Partially, I think, the reason "Brick 'N The Wall" is slow is because it's such a tiny program. It's not using any features such as machine language subroutines. One of the big breakthroughs in the Astrocade BASIC-era of programs (1978-1982/3-ish) was when users began to learn how to use the built-in machine language routines that are contained in the Bally's 8K ROM. Many of the better-looking BASIC games make use of the same on-board routine to display characters. BASIC was never meant to use these routines, but the BASIC programmers found work-arounds that allowed them to use them. The newsletters helped to spread the word on how these routines worked by publishing articles on how to use the sub-routines in various programs.

I really need to get my Astrocade hooked up to be able to record video. I'd love to make some videos to shed some light on the subject of BASIC.

On the positive side, it was the first program I have ever been able to load through the BASIC cart.

I found a good method for this:

1. Download file to phone

You were able to load your programs directly from your phone? That's good to hear. I've heard other people try this and they've not met with success. This gives me the idea that I should try loading some BASIC programs from one of my Ipods.

Since you've managed to get an AstroBASIC program to load, maybe you should try something else now. Since I was talking about machine language routines, here is the very first BASIC program to use and call machine language routines. It's a program from 1980 called "Critter" and is by Brett Bilbrey. You can download it here:

http://www.ballyalley.com/program_downloads/2000_baud_programs/misc/misc.html#CritterAB

This program was written for Bally BASIC, but I modified it (by changing just a few bytes) so that it would run under AstroBASIC. "Critter" isn't a game, it's just an an example-- but it shows that machine-language speed movement of characters is possible from within BASIC. As a neat side note, Brett went on to work for Apple where he was, I think, the head engineer of a little thing called the iPad.

Adam

I just wanted to say thank you for doing this HSC. I hope it keeps going, even if there are only a few of us. It's a really good way to engage--I can't say that enough! It's especially good for the BASIC games, as there are so many of them to discover.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. I wish I'd bugged Albert more often, and started earlier, to get this Astrocade sub-forum created. I'm very glad that he finally fell for my little plan to slowly take over the AtariAge forums starting from an Astrocade sub-forum. [insert evil laugh here!]

Most of the fun of gaming, for me, is sharing the experience. So, "nd2003grad," even if it's just you and me playing these games, expect to find a new cart game and BASIC game to explore every week until, well, we run out of games to play.

Adam

• Like 1

I finally got a couple of scores for "Clowns" and "Brickyard" that aren't embarrassingly low.

Brickyard - 1,369 (Level - Intermediate)

post-4925-0-52957100-1460222382_thumb.jpg

(My colors on my Astrocade get wonky sometimes-- "Brickyard" isn't supposed to have a purple overscan area-- it's meant to be red!)

I was averaging scores of about 500-600 points in "Brickyard" on "Intermediate" level. Then I tried the "Expert" level. Everything is the same, except your paddle is about half the size. I did fairly terrible, but when I played the "Intermediate" level afterward, my paddle suddenly seemed huge. On my very next game I scored my high score. So, try practicing on the harder levels and then go back to the easier ("Intermediate") level and see how you do: I bet that it improves your score.

I'm not thrilled with "Clowns." This game has a fundamental flaw, which I've never noticed before. If the clown bounces on a wide angle, and lands under the trampoline, there is no way for you to reach it with the proper side of the teeter-totter. You'll lose a clown, even if you're in the right place. That's quite unfair. On the Atari 2600, you can press the fire button on the paddle and it switches your teeter-totter around. This should have been implemented on the Astrocade. Then again, this version of "Clowns" is based on the arcade game of the same name. Maybe they just copied the arcade game. I guess I could load up "Clowns" in MAME and find out.

Clowns - 552

post-4925-0-55838500-1460222384_thumb.jpg

I really like "Brickyard." It's got great control and I feel like I'm always in control of the ball. "Clowns," sadly, isn't nearly as good... but it's not bad-- it's just an also-ran game for the Astrocade.

Adam

I like both, I noticed a similar flaw in Clowns where if you are all the way to the side of the screen it can be impossible at times to not save your clown. I like the weird physics in Brickyard--it's unlike any brick game I've ever played. Do you have some sort of RCA plug conversion? Brickyard on my screen has all sorts of ghosts and mess. It's pretty much only that game, maybe Gunfight a little.

Do you have some sort of RCA plug conversion? Brickyard on my screen has all sorts of ghosts and mess. It's pretty much only that game, maybe Gunfight a little.

Nope, I don't have any sort of RCA plug conversion other than the "standard" adapter that allows you to ditch a TV switchbox. This is the "Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter" that is sold by Radio Shack and many other places (such as AtariAge.com):

https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

Adam

• Like 1

Nope, I don't have any sort of RCA plug conversion other than the "standard" adapter that allows you to ditch a TV switchbox. This is the "Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter" that is sold by Radio Shack and many other places (such as AtariAge.com):https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42Adam

Huh. Me too.

I've always liked the physics in Brickyard. Unlike any other Breakout clone I've played, it features a ball that slightly increases in speed as it nears the bottom. It feels "heavy," as opposed to the static-rate-of-descent ball of Breakout and each of its other derivatives.

Clowns poses an interesting question of arcade origins. It came out a year after the original -- Exidy's Circus -- but it's practically identical. Could Midway have licensed the rights from Exidy and changed the title? I'm not sure why the guys at Exidy would agree to that; maybe they wanted to stop manufacturing Circus machines for some reason.

It's just as puzzling as why the home versions of certain coin-ops were renamed by Astrocade. (Of course, for all I know, this stuff has already been ascertained, and I just haven't looked in the right section of Bally Alley!)

Edited by Chris++

Clowns poses an interesting question of arcade origins. It came out a year after the original -- Exidy's Circus -- but it's practically identical. Could Midway have licensed the rights from Exidy and changed the title?

Until you pointed out Exidy's "Circus," I had not noticed that it looked nearly identical to "Clowns." I suppose one could have a glance through the code of both games and see from that perspective how similar they are to one another, but that wouldn't explain the change of the game's name and the switch-over to another company. I bet this question has come up before and has been answered in an arcade forum. I'm not familiar with arcade forums though, and a quick search just now didn't turn up an easy answer. Then again, if the answer was easy to find, then it probably wouldn't be worth pursuing.

When you start looking into these games, it's interesting to note that the Astrocade is nearly always overlooked for its arcade ports. If you had played "Clowns" in the arcade, then you would have seen this marquee (sorry, it's a rather low-res picture-- but it was really all I could find) and Bezel (this one was retouched in 2014 by someone with the handle "Antny"):

post-4925-0-61263800-1460473660_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-28862200-1460473662_thumb.png

If you'd been in the arcade business, then probably would have seen this flyer advertising the game:

post-4925-0-96104500-1460473668_thumb.jpg

(One look at that flyer confirms that Clowns are scary!)

It's just as puzzling as why the home versions of certain coin-ops were renamed by Astrocade. (Of course, for all I know, this stuff has already been ascertained, and I just haven't looked in the right section of Bally Alley!)

I wish that I could answer why games were renamed on the Astrocade. I imagine that it had something to do with the sale of the system from Bally to Astrovision, Inc-- but that doesn't explain it all. We need to track down and interview these Bally programmers (and others involved with the system)-- maybe they can help answer some of these questions.

Chris, since you don't have a real Astrocade, have you tried playing these games using a mouse (or other analog controller) in the Astrocade emulator yet?

Adam

I played one game of "Brick 'N The Wall." Man, that game truly is slow. I think I'd still be playing it, but apathy set in and I let my final balls slip away. I'm pretty sure that someone with patience could probably play this game forever. I played through about seven or eight boards and the game doesn't speed up at all.

"Brick 'N The Wall" - 1,822 (Real Astrocade)

post-4925-0-77289300-1460517872_thumb.jpg

I did learn a bit about the game. There are three rows of bricks. The bricks or worth: 2 points (bottom row), 8 points (middle row) and 12 points (top row). At least, I think that was the break down of the level. I'm not sure how many bricks are on each screen.

Adam

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thank you for doing this HSC. I hope it keeps going, even if there are only a few of us. It's a really good way to engage--I can't say that enough! It's especially good for the BASIC games, as there are so many of them to discover.

Just wanted to say I hope you guys are enjoying playing and well done to BallyAlley for getting this HSC up and running :thumbsup: I hadn't heard of this system but it looks fun and I might keep an eye out for game ideas for the Atari 8-bit :)

• Like 1