IGNORED

800XE vs 65XE

slx

Various websites differ on specs for the 800XE. So dear experts and master collectors, is there any internal or external difference except for the label between a 65XE and an 800XE (that would require me to have one to consider my 'basic' collection complete)?

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

65XE, at least the early NTSC ones don't have ECI. I believe all later ones though used 130XE motherboards without the extra Ram chips or EMMU but with ECI.

Unsure if all PAL 65XEs have the ECI or only later ones.

800XE is one machine affected by the bad batch of GTIAs. I have one and it has the buggy GTIA which displays some GTIA mode graphics as if the mode wasn't enabled.

My 800XE is one based on the 130XE motherboard, I think it's the 4 Ram chip one but not totally sure.

From a collector perspective really you're just getting a different label. I don't think the OS Rom is any different and the motherboards are the same as generic XEs. Supposedly 800XE exists because Atari went from nothingness to having brand recognition via the 800XL in Eastern Europe and the name helped to avoid confusion.

800XE is one machine affected by the bad batch of GTIAs. I have one and it has the buggy GTIA which displays some GTIA mode graphics as if the mode wasn't enabled.

My 800XE is one based on the 130XE motherboard, I think it's the 4 Ram chip one but not totally sure.

From a collector perspective really you're just getting a different label. I don't think the OS Rom is any different and the motherboards are the same as generic XEs. Supposedly 800XE exists because Atari went from nothingness to having brand recognition via the 800XL in Eastern Europe and the name helped to avoid confusion.

I have a few 800XE computers that are obviously older than the bad GTIA batch. They do discolor more and have also a different type of keyboard mechanic (same as the spring keyboard found on some 130/65xe) ... these do NOT have the faulty GTIA.

At this moment I can not find it, but I have an issue of Happy Computer or Atari User where on the back is a big advertisement of the 800XE (with a picture of Flight Simulator II IIRC). That advertisement was from 1987 or so and not meant for the Eastern Europe audience.

I have always thought what rybags said about the 800xe and the Eastern Europe story; but due to that advertisement and the fact that I have a few 'strange' 800XE computers (without the GTIA problem and the other keyboard and the severe brownish coloring) I doubt it now that there is 800XE because of that market.

Supposedly 800XE exists because Atari went from nothingness to having brand recognition via the 800XL in Eastern Europe and the name helped to avoid confusion.

For sure, brand recognition via the 800XL was the reason the 800XE was introduced, but rather for the Western Europe, where the 800XL was very popular.

I have always thought what rybags said about the 800xe and the Eastern Europe story; but due to that advertisement and the fact that I have a few 'strange' 800XE computers (without the GTIA problem and the other keyboard and the severe brownish coloring) I doubt it now that there is 800XE because of that market.

The 65XE was the most popular 8-bit ATARI in Poland, followed by the 130XE. I have never seen any 800XE in the 80-thies.

As Rybags mentioned, the early 65XEs had no ECI.

Edited by TheMontezuma

Thanks. I think that little difference doesn't warrant anything but an accidental flea market bargain. I firmly resolve not to pursue color variations ;)

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

I have never seen any 800XE in the 80-thies.

That does not count. 800XE is from 1987.

Check also here:

http://www.museo8bits.com/anuncios/index.php?op=Atari&menu=No

http://www.museo8bits.com/anuncios/atari_800xe_2.jpg

http://www.museo8bits.com/anuncios/atari_800xe_3.jpg

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1

It counts, because I have lived in Poland at that time and only the 65XE and 130XE were officially offered there, even in the early 90-thies ;)

The german advertisement, which you found is the best confirmation.

I guess it is an incorrect information on the german Wikipedia, which makes people think that the 800XE was built for the Eastern Europe.

• Like 1

Hello to all,

I have buy a 800xe in round august 1987 it Germany (Kleve) by Quelle it was round 299 DM with X12 taperecorder :), it was made in Taiwan intern has a mainboard with 8x 1bit 64kb chips. I know the latest version where build in Taiwan has de 4bit version 2 chips it can easily upgrade to 128kb (130xe).

But i have last year buy a 800Xe was made Chine the chips AMI 91 week 28-32 maybe bad gtia but i have test it works fine. But i like it I have 130xe is very yellowed.

I friend has the last build 91 week 44-48 :) and works fine :) but i like xl serie to.

In my word 65xe and 800xe are the same all so 130xe. What i know my 800xe it say on mainboard 65/800/130 xe but i must check that long time ago but on the Chine version with 2 chips it says that.

Greetings Marco