IGNORED

Super Pacman Proto my a$$ - I hate this the most

Atari8bitCarts

I am saying that the label itself has prototype on it. I don't consider that lying when it is on the game label lol.

I think the point of contention here really rests with CGA, Inc., which runs the unqualified line "Prototype Game Cartridge" on the item grading label they have affixed, which is disingenuous. The accompanying certificate of authenticity, with its statement that "This item ... has been found to be an authentic example." and the placing of its time period as "1984" (is this even when these were manufactured?) cements the picture. In CGA, Inc.'s defense, "Prototype Game Cartridge" is repositioned as merely the item in question's "Title" on said certificate, but what does that even mean in context? Or that "Atari" is the "Company", which could mean developer, manufacturer, or anything else? One seems to need another document just to decipher the meaning of the CoA. Just sloppy.

Is it lying or merely evidence that undermines (to a woeful degree) the authority of CGA, Inc. that the eBay seller merely passes on unquestioned? It's certainly one of those "eh, if I stand to benefit, I'll stand mute and let the bidders puzzle it out" situations.

• Like 1

As an example, I can grab one of many unreleased games (by using their chips) and reproduce it.

Then it would be my reponsbility to state in the auction that this was a copy of a prototype, and not the orginal. We all see those.

When the seller was notified that this was a copy ( I sent them pictures and information regarding it), and that VGA techically didn't state anything on the cert that wasn't true. That this was warehouse stock sold by Best.

What they didn't do is certify that this cartridge was "the" prototype used to make those copies sold.

Down right misleading for personal gain. VGA knew it wasn't (or at least should know wasn't that their business and reputation), and I suspect labeled this for personal gain (i.e. partnered with someone to see it would sell). I contacted both VGA and the seller.

And then the dirtbag seller uses another account to bid, and then puts it back on eBay (same cert #) a few weeks later since it wasn't sold.

If the seller was honest, they wouldn't have relisted it, nor shill bid on it in the first place. And VGA would have made it damn clear that this loose cart was not the original prototype.

But those idiots know nothing about games to begin with, especially Atari 8-bit.

I understand what you guys are saying but the fact is nobody, vga, cga, or seller are claiming this game is a prototype. Sure it gives that impression because when we see the word prototype we automatically assume pre-production testing game. However the game has the word prototype on It's printed label and you as a buyer have to look at what you are buying.

Sure the seller could avoid confusion and write this is not actually a prototype of said game, prototype is part of the games title or whatever it actually means. I am still unsure what prototype means as I am not familiar with Best much. Was this label the label he used on them all or was this his first testing cart for this game? Did someone print the label and put prototype on it at a later date?

There are too many unknowns right now at least from my knowledge to know if anyone is representing anything falsely here. I see this as being no different than selling "Prototype Xbox 360 game".

I understand what you guys are saying but the fact is nobody, vga, cga, or seller are claiming this game is a prototype. Sure it gives that impression because when we see the word prototype we automatically assume pre-production testing game. However the game has the word prototype on It's printed label and you as a buyer have to look at what you are buying.

Sure the seller could avoid confusion and write this is not actually a prototype of said game, prototype is part of the games title or whatever it actually means. I am still unsure what prototype means as I am not familiar with Best much. Was this label the label he used on them all or was this his first testing cart for this game? Did someone print the label and put prototype on it at a later date?

There are too many unknowns right now at least from my knowledge to know if anyone is representing anything falsely here. I see this as being no different than selling "Prototype Xbox 360 game".

what?

This label was made by Best Electronics. Best had the original chips and copied them. We all have this cart, as hundreds were made.

If I labeled a cart with "prototype" and it's not the original, then I consider that wrong. But that is another post and another time. As we all know Atari 8-bit prototypes rarely if at all ever came in a finished case with a label. They were PCB's with chips. So a real collector would know this. The poor sap thinking that a cert means something will not. It's about protecting the consumer at some level.

There was a time in which someone could buy questionable liquids that stated they treated any ailment. But we stopped those practices.

And here it's just us that love this hobby and want to protect our collections.

EBay only cares about making money. They do not care about what is right. If I can certify that Jesus wore a baseball cap I had in my possession and sell it for big bucks they'll kick back with their greedy little hands and ignore all the complaints.

So knowing what we know. These are lying dirtbags :)

PROTOTYPE IS ON THE LABEL.

Who is lying? It's on the label...

How are they lying? It's on the label...

You have lost me 20 times over.

Let me say this again so you can tell me what the problem is.

It is on the label!

There is nothing wrong with putting what is written on a label in the title of an ebay listing.

That certification is in no way saying this game is a prototype. That certification only says the game is called "Super Pacman Prototype? exactly as that label says.

Go yell at best for putting Prototype on his labels.

That certification is in no way saying this game is a prototype. That certification only says the game is called "Super Pacman Prototype? exactly as that label says.

See my earlier post above. This particular point is not as cut-and-dried as you think.

See my earlier post above. This particular point is not as cut-and-dried as you think.

It is a word, it is as cut and dry as I am making it. Here lets change prototype to Pizza or whatever word you like. Are they still liars if the word pizza was used instead of prototype?

post-25078-0-56354600-1462143137_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-60624000-1462143145_thumb.jpg

heres my copy. Do you think I too can get $500+ :) I was told it's the only one that exists...

No, you need to spend a bunch of money, to get it graded first. And then of course, not receive a grade.

• Like 1

Why is your label different?

It's not different. It was just cut out around the border and then taped on. Best started doing this for some reason. And it has a sicker on the screw (as these are Atari reused housings) that says warranty void if tampered with. I find that funny since they copy chips all the time :) It was a $19.99 cart.

This is the stupidest argument. The guy listing it is an idiot not because he stated prototype in listing title but because he got it sealed and "graded" with a "NG" as in no fucking grade. Its like paying for tickets to a concert, going in and there's no band, then just standing like a moron next to an empty stage...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is the stupidest argument. The guy listing it is an idiot not because he stated prototype in listing title but because he got it sealed and "graded" with a "NG" as in no fucking grade. Its like paying for tickets to a concert, going in and there's no band, then just standing like a moron next to an empty stage..

true, but the VGA seal gives the impression it was authenticated as the real prototype. You just don't notice that they state otherwise (in small print). Dodgy, underhanded.

• 8 months later...