IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Ethernet/FLASH card

Matthias

Hello,

just want to say it once more:

The Ethernet/FLASH-card which i am working on since last year isn't finished. Not from the hardware-part, and not from the software-part.

But a lot of things can be implemented just by changing the software

(the MemoryTrack-part for example).

Best regards

Matthias

Hello!

One question I haven't seen yet... WHERE DO I GET IT FROM!! GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!! :)

That looks awesome.

me wants me wants :)

I haven't started this thread with a "Press release", did i?

There are only few cards built till now, and there might be one or two more prototype-generations necessary before a "mass-production" can be started.

I know it's not availible yet, that was just my way of saying congratulations an a uperbe product an I cannot wait until it is finished, it already looks and sounds superbe.

I saw your message to stone about it using ftp and having to auth etc. perhaps using tftp would be easier to implement, with lower load? Not as secure but you could lock it down either within the config or just to only accepting data from the same subnet.

I wish you all the best with this project. It is probably the most exciting and original thing I have seen being produced so far.

Hey Matthias,

So, you finally decided to let the cat out of the bag, huh? Cool! You've got to let me know how you got around the expensive prospect of buying MAC addresses for the card. As you know, that's the part that killed my ethernet project.

I am sure making the cards humanly configurable wouldn't be an issue. Or perhaps giving all the cards the same MAC address (afterall are you really likley to have them all connected at once?)

For default just nab some low MAC addresses from the Xerox 806 vendor tag, which is listed as unregistered ( http://www.cavebear.com/CaveBear/Ethernet/vendor.html perhaps out of date)..

All that matters end of day is that MAC addresses not likley to conflict are used.. and I think a random stab in the dark would pretty much gurantee that nobody saw a conflict. Perhaps use NeXT MAC addresses? I doubt anyone would be using a NeXT machine for their Jag dev..

That cart of your rocks dude..Long time no tt btw....Get my e-mail from Scott Walters and give me a shout. I am very interested in one...and yes gorf is still in the works....

Steve"Gorfian Empire" Scavone

Ahh...look who finally decided to join up :).

Hehe...Forgive my ignorance (as its been some time for me on a Jag forum) but if some Jag owners dont have a Jag CD how could they use them? Has someone come up with a standard IDE CD ROM to Jag cart port interface or something? OR are you talking about a virtual Jag CD using a PC's CD ROM-via the Ethernet?(that could be cool but everyone with a Jag would need to own a PC). But the PC is certainly in enough households to

make this a non-issue. My few cents.

Steve"Insert Coin" Scavone

That's some pretty amazing work there Matthias. It's only a matter of time until we're online with our Jags :)

-Kevin

Oh man that would be awesome. Figure a way acknowledge the second system as the second player.......

I just can't find the words..

:ponder: Hi Steve, that's awesome you're still working on Gorf...I downloadedd an AVI clip of it some time ago, its only like 15 seconds but the game looks very fun and I liked the music a lot too.... and don't worry, I won't ask when it's going to be done lol, as I've learned that's a bad question to ask a Jag developer... ;)

You've got to let me know how you got around the expensive prospect of buying MAC addresses for the card. As you know, that's the part that killed my ethernet project.

A MAC address is only needed inside one switched segment as long as the ethernet card is behind a router and can not be seen in the internet there is no problem.

You only have to be sure there is no 2nd MAC inside the switched segment.

So you can leave it to the user to set a correct MAC address.

This is surely a no-go for big commercial projects, but sure for a hacker-project like this.

Another solution discussed in c.a.e was to optain old Ethernet cards (there are plenty of 10MB cards around) and re-use the MAC address.

Search also comp.arch.embedded concerning the (re)use of MAC addresses.

Hello LinkoVitch!

Hello!

One question I haven't seen yet... WHERE DO I GET IT FROM!! GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!! :)

That looks awesome.

me wants me wants :)

I haven't started this thread with a "Press release", did i?

There are only few cards built till now, and there might be one or two more prototype-generations necessary before a "mass-production" can be started.

I know it's not availible yet, that was just my way of saying congratulations an a uperbe product an I cannot wait until it is finished, it already looks and sounds superbe.

But if your excitment is expressed in the shape of a question, then i have to answer it. :-)

I saw your message to stone about it using ftp and having to auth etc.  perhaps using tftp would be easier to implement, with lower load?  Not as secure but you could lock it down either within the config or just to only accepting data from the same subnet.

The reverse is true: TinyFTP works, FTP doesn't (or haven't tried it, there is so much hidden in Contiki...).

I wish you all the best with this project.  It is probably the most exciting and original thing I have seen being produced so far.

Thanks,

Matthias

Hi!

Hey Matthias,

So, you finally decided to let the cat out of the bag, huh? Cool!

As mentioned above, after some hints about the card were given in other threads, i decided to tell the audience all available informations about the card-project to stop speculations.

You've got to let me know how you got around the expensive prospect of buying MAC addresses for the card. As you know, that's the part that killed my ethernet project.

At the moment you can type in the MAC-addresses in configuration-dialogs of the software, that's sufficient at the moment.

Regards

Matthias

Hi!

Hey Matthias,

So, you finally decided to let the cat out of the bag, huh? Cool! You've got to let me know how you got around the expensive prospect of buying MAC addresses for the card. As you know, that's the part that killed my ethernet project.

I am sure making the cards humanly configurable wouldn't be an issue. Or perhaps giving all the cards the same MAC address (afterall are you really likley to have them all connected at once?)

You are right, that's what the software currently does: It offers a standard-MAC-address (the same for all cards), but the user can overwrite it.

Thanks for the link to the MAC-address-informations!

Matthias

Hello Gregory!

Hmmm... Ethernet, eh? Does that mean we'll be able to play networked games via the Internet (or local LAN)?

If developers are able to utilize the card (which hopefully offers all desired support for such games), why not?

Matthias

Hi Steve!

That cart of your rocks dude..Long time no tt btw....Get my e-mail from Scott Walters and give me a shout. I am very interested in one...and yes gorf is still in the works....

Steve"Gorfian Empire" Scavone

Have "met" Terrance recently on the sunday-morning chat :-)

Matthias

Hi!

Hehe...Forgive my ignorance (as its been some time for me on a Jag forum) but if some Jag owners dont have a Jag CD how could they use them? Has someone come up with a standard IDE CD ROM to Jag cart port interface or something? OR are you talking about a virtual Jag CD using a PC's CD ROM-via the Ethernet?(that could be cool but everyone with a Jag would need to own a PC). But the PC is certainly in enough households to

make this a non-issue. My few cents.

Steve"Insert Coin" Scavone

I'm not sure if you just wanted to speak about a new idea or if you have misunderstood my descriptions:

If you have a CD-player, then you (the customer) will be happy because the card not only offers a CD-bypass but a MemoryTrack-functionality too.

If you don't have a CD-player, then you have paid for a feature you can't use ;-)

Matthias

Archived