IGNORED

SID Emulation on YM

emkay

There are composing-programs for the ST (SID-Sound-Designer), that are using a partial SID Emulation to get better Musix....

I'm wondering, how this was done exactly.

I know, that there was used a Digi-Sine-Wave for deeper notes, but how fast were the channels updated to get a synth-like sound?

Has anyone an idea?

I'm curious to know how this is accomplished too, as I don't see how an inferior sound chip can emulate a superior one...unless it's through digitization which is how most good music on the ST is done, I guess the YM is good at digitizing.

TEX did a couple of C64 music demos in the dayz. I think they used some sort of SID emulator. But it never really soundes as good as the actuall C64 SID.

I don't think that the PC SID emulators I have listened to manage to get the SID sound completely right either. But I suppose the main reason for that, is the fact that today we have good multi-media PC speakers. Not the miserable built in TV speakers we were used to during the 8-bit age :D . I think those speakers did their part in colouring the sound of the SID chip and making it sound soooo fat! 8)

I'm still trying to learn the basics of chip music but I havent progressed that far yet (Still working on the pokey and the gameboy first). My first theory would be that they bridge two voices for sid effects, ala the pokey, but it looks like all the voices are available..

So I would then think that its a playoutine that runs off the cpu, that modulates the chip much faster or something.

But Im still an extreme novice to this. A better forum to ask might be the one at

www.dhs.nu

Lots of chipmusic coders and programs hang out and are available.

I think, it is a simple (but fast) changing of the loudness of every voice. Doing this dependent on the played Note, you'll get some Effekt, in German is it called "Schwebung", it builds through its own frequency and the played frequency a new resulting one. The "Schwebung" (I don't know the correct english word, maybe it's ment by flanger), builds that C64-like Voice, but with more distortion.

My only question is, how often this is done in a second.

Archived