IGNORED

Random Terrain's Tetraternarium - LG Blu-Ray Player With Wi-Fi

RSS Bot

When I got an Amazon Fire Stick last year, I gave my Blu-Ray player to my mother since my Samsung HDTV only has two HDMI ports. My sister was becoming irritated that I couldn't watch Blu-ray movies, so I thought a good thing to do would be to buy a Blu-ray player that could also play movies and TV shows from Amazon. I could kill three birds with two HDMI ports . . . or something like that.

I bought an LG BP550 Blu-Ray Player with Wi-Fi from Amazon. The Blu-ray part works like any other player, but it's useless for streaming movies and TV shows from Amazon. After updating the software and getting Amazon set up on it, the thing gave me a low quality picture and kept popping up messages about my connection being too slow. What? Too slow? I recently got a new modem/router from the cable company and my speed went from 23 Mbps down to 236 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up to 23 Mbps up. That's supposedly faster than 95% of the USA. My Amazon fire stick became so fast that it was almost like watching cable TV. The spinning circle barely has a chance to spin and I get an instantly clear picture. I went from that to this Blu-ray player giving me watercolor rectangles and constant pop ups about a slow connection.

Even if this Blu-ray player didn't have trouble streaming Amazon, I realized that my favorite buttons to jump back or ahead 10 seconds on my Amazon Fire Stick remote control weren't on the Blu-ray remote control. I use those buttons all of the time, so I'm sticking with the stick.

At least the Blu-ray player works and it's almost half the size of my other Blu-ray player. I ended up getting an HDMI switcher and since this new Blu-ray player is so small, there's plenty of room for the HDMI switcher to sit next to it. Now I have the Amazon Fire Stick, Blu-ray player, and cable TV plugged into the HDMI switcher and there is an empty HDMI port on the back of my HDTV for something else.

Random Terrain

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/120/entry-12887-lg-blu-ray-player-with-wi-fi/