IGNORED

Best cheap joystick?

kiwilove

I'm after a good quality joystick and I don't want to pay too much for it.

So is there any reasonably priced joysticks around?

Or do I end up using a MegaDrive/Genesis joypad instead. I have one around somewhere and have yet to find it.

I only have the fabulous looking Atari joystick, that has the two large buttons on both sides - that are a pain to use because repeated button pressing causes you cramps. If they bothered to field test it - this is so obvious. It's looks truly fab - but they should have shrunk it down a lot so that it would be a pleasure to use, instead of a pain.

I would rate the square black plastic base Atari joystick excellent in design and function - but of course the inner plastic core breaks easily after long term use. Has anyone made plastic cores that wear better?

You would think some one or some company should have produced a better joystick by now?

Maybe I'm better off buying an adaptor? That enables any new USB? joypad to be used instead?

Back in the day - my preference was for a Konix joystick - which has an easy to grip base, and overall was very solidly made. I did have a Wico joystick but the stick was really too long - nice if you had extra large hands?

These are very expensively priced these days and would end up costing as much as an Atari computer. (More so because of the high shipping cost to me).

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

I'm after a good quality joystick and I don't want to pay too much for it.

So is there any reasonably priced joysticks around?

Or do I end up using a MegaDrive/Genesis joypad instead. I have one around somewhere and have yet to find it.

I only have the fabulous looking Atari joystick, that has the two large buttons on both sides - that are a pain to use because repeated button pressing causes you cramps. If they bothered to field test it - this is so obvious. It's looks truly fab - but they should have shrunk it down a lot so that it would be a pleasure to use, instead of a pain.

I would rate the square black plastic base Atari joystick excellent in design and function - but of course the inner plastic core breaks easily after long term use. Has anyone made plastic cores that wear better?

You would think some one or some company should have produced a better joystick by now?

Maybe I'm better off buying an adaptor? That enables any new USB? joypad to be used instead?

Back in the day - my preference was for a Konix joystick - which has an easy to grip base, and overall was very solidly made. I did have a Wico joystick but the stick was really too long - nice if you had extra large hands?

These are very expensively priced these days and would end up costing as much as an Atari computer. (More so because of the high shipping cost to me).

Harvey

Well if you are looking for a fighter style stick you could probably grab a 3 or 6 button Asciiware for Genesis. I use my six button to play Galaga on my 7800 and its a nice touch. If you got local retro store they probably have a few in back as well so you would not have to worry about shipping.

How cheap is cheap?

I've always been a huge fan of the Suncom TAC-2 and the Competition Pro. Both are very durable - I still have a CP from 'back in the day' that has seen a TON of use. Both are very comfortable for long gaming sessions - to my hands, at least. I'd probably prefer the TAC-2 if forced to choose. Nice short throw and very responsive.

The Suncoms go for about $20-$25 on eBay. The Competion Pro is getting a little pricier, if recent auctions are any indicator.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info - I forgot about checking out Genesis controllers. I'm not a fan of those handgrip trigger controllers.

Harvey

Yeah I got a Commander Stick for my 2600 which is nice for Defender and such but I still gravitate to my Sega hardware especially for the 7800. Those 7800 controllers give me blisters.

I still think the gold standard for joysticks, were and still are, the Wico Command Control sticks, either bat-handle or ball, depending on your preference (i prefer the ball-handle ones, just easier to control, but I have both.) These are relatively easy to find used as their were a lot produced in that era.

Wico's are huge, though. I got one as a teenager but found it too large to handle comfortably without a place to set it down. They also have quite large throw. On the plus side they have two buttons which could be converted for the 7800.

I like TAC-2s as well although the Buttons on this type of Suncoms seems to be a weak point.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

If you are in Europe, you may consider the best joysticks ever, the Competition Pro (from a new production run).

I'm sorry but whatever you get do NOT get this piece of crap !!!

It is a total INSULT to the original Suzo Competition Pro joystick ! The built quality sucks completely, everything that made the Suzo the best joystick ever is screwed up in this version...

Try to find a used original Suzo (not fakes from the UK or US !) Competion Pro joystick and you have the best you can get. The most common is the micro-switch version (red handle) but the best of the best is the earlier version with only leaf switches (black handle). This one doesn't have the click sound and feel of the micro-switch version, but some people actually prefer that. I like the leafs better :)

Edited by Level42

I mentioned that they are not as good as the original Competition Pro joysticks, but I would not call them "crap".

They are brand new and this is a big adventage over old (partly not working) joysticks.

I have purchased the Speedlink USB version (I assume mechanically the same as the 9-pin D-Sub offered by Individual Computers).

Due to delay, it was not really usable, but after replacing the cable, it works as a normal D-Sub Joystick.

It is OK, but does not have this great haptic as the original one.