IGNORED

Best Home Version Of Donkey Kong Junior

Doobee-Doobee-Doo  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Best Home Version Of Donkey Kong Jr?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 5200/8-bit
    • Atari 7800
    • ColecoVision (original)
    • ColecoVision (Super DK Jr.)
    • INTV
    • NES
    • C64
    • Other (post)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

First version I had was the 2600 version, then later got the Colecovision version. Since I only have those two to compare, I'm definately going with the colecovision version. I did sink quite a bit of time into the atari 2600 version. Not sure why it's drawing so much hate, it looked terrible, and all in all wasn't anything like the arcade version, but on it's own I still found it fun and playable so long as I didn't try to compare it to the original.

• 1 year later...

I'm going with the NES version, for pure nostalgia. I was too young for Coleco and NES was our first system. My sister and I bought DK Jr from KB Toys. The only other version that I've played on original hardware is the 7800 version. As others have noted, it's very similar to the NES and the gameplay is smoothly executed. However the graphics are just a bit washed out compared to the NES. Obviously the sound is dreadful. They're trying to push an 80s game soundtrack through a 70s chip, and the 70s chip ain't having none of it. The sounds on the NES game are delightful. Over all I love the atmosphere.

I didn't answer this before, but Jin awhile back pointed out what I'm just going to parrot here basically.

I got a free multicade cocktail early in the week I just got up days after. DKJr I've tried a few times so far as it has been probably 20 years plus for the real deal or a MAME early build too. The NES game I've had since the later 80s (Classics 2in1 with DK) so I'm very familiar with it, not so much the Coleco though but I have dabbled. Both are strongly faithful to the original source, but the NES one edges it out. Not so much with the visuals as DKJr isn't complex by any means but the audio is right there. The NES has the benefit of playing all 4 tables, and all 4 from the first run as a more gradual increase of difficulty. The original outside of the first screen is just nasty as I'm having enough trouble with the birds/chains to free DK as circuit one goes right from screen 1 to 4 bypassing the other two. DKJr is just hard, harder to me than the original.

Also as a side note DK3 on the NES same thing really as Jr, it's all there, but it's more gradual in the abuse but otherwise very faithful.

I picked the 2600 version . . . oh wait, I thought the question was for the worst port. Nevermind.

It's been maybe 10 years since I've played 2600 DK. Lousy graphics aside I found the gameplay really fun!

By the way have you seen this remake? It's amazing what modern programming tools can do to make the beast sing.

https://youtu.be/_Y6vhLDN3dI