IGNORED

XEGS Help

Hi Everyone.

So I decided to go ahead and buy an Atari XEGS, and I finally just had the chance to test it out this weekend. Before I say anything else let me just put this statement forward, I am hooking the XEGS up to a small flat screen TV to test it out, and knowing that some old systems and new TV's don't get along well I am using a VCR as an intermediary, something I have to do for my 7800.

Ok, so I hook the XEGS up with and without the VCR as a go between, and in both cases nothing but a green screen with lines on it. It reminds me of turning an 2600, 5200, or 7800 on with the a cart that isn't sitting in it the right way, or may need to be cleaned, yes a lot like that screen, kind of like something wants to happen. In my case though I tried the XEGS with and without carts in it too, and got the same screen.

Yes, the power light is on, and I have tried resets.

I'm hoping its an easy fix or something I'm overlooking, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

sounds like your XEGS is broke, and given that the screen is green, it sounds like the OS isn't even initializing the GTIA registers.

first off, what PSU do you have? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/95416-power-supplies/?p=1157349

if you've got the ingot, chop the atari-side cable off and throw it away. If you've got a way to measure voltage, then check the output first. If it's 5V, this isn't the problem (yet) and if it's anything higher, then we know why the XEGS doesn't work...

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

Try the RF- use a rca to coaxial adaptor ( radio shack, eBay $3 ), then try the composite out. If this does not work, it's most likely the ram - open it up, and if the two ram chips say " MT " on it, that's most likely it. Also, keep power to it and see which chips get hot after a minute. That's your culprit. They are a pain to work on.

sounds like your XEGS is broke, and given that the screen is green, it sounds like the OS isn't even initializing the GTIA registers.

first off, what PSU do you have? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/95416-power-supplies/?p=1157349

if you've got the ingot, chop the atari-side cable off and throw it away. If you've got a way to measure voltage, then check the output first. If it's 5V, this isn't the problem (yet) and if it's anything higher, then we know why the XEGS doesn't work...

As far as power I have "The Logo"

As far as power I have "The Logo"

Step 2 is to open it up, and reseat any socketed chips you have (not many in an XEGS).

step 3, you have to know how to desolder and socket 40 and 16 pin IC's, so you might be better off sending the XEGS to someone who does, if you don't know how. keep in mind, atari XE boards in general tend to be really bad and easy to screw up soldering/desoldering.

Step 2 is to open it up, and reseat any socketed chips you have (not many in an XEGS).

step 3, you have to know how to desolder and socket 40 and 16 pin IC's, so you might be better off sending the XEGS to someone who does, if you don't know how. keep in mind, atari XE boards in general tend to be really bad and easy to screw up soldering/desoldering.

Thanks Joey