IGNORED

euro pads

dodge ramman

Love the pads..

They were actually the first 7800 specific controllers I got.. ;-)

I haven't yet figured out a good way to hit both buttons at the same time (like running fast and jumping in Bentley Bear), but I like them much better than the original controllers...

Haven't made the light gun move yet...

desiv

Edited by desiv

My mini-review of the CX78 Joypad:

All things being equal between the joypad and Proline joystick, it's a wash. The joypad is more comfortable to hold and use--provided you have the thumbstick--but it's difficult to play some games with; I keep hitting diagonally when I don't mean to. The side-by-side front facing fire buttons are a nice improvement over the Proline, even if they are positioned somewhat awkwardly.

Which one is better depends on the game, I guess, and even then your mileage may vary. Neither controller is a perfect solution.

• Like 3

My mini-review of the CX78 Joypad:

All things being equal between the joypad and Proline joystick, it's a wash. The joypad is more comfortable to hold and use--provided you have the thumbstick--but it's difficult to play some games with; I keep hitting diagonally when I don't mean to. The side-by-side front facing fire buttons are a nice improvement over the Proline, even if they are positioned somewhat awkwardly.

Which one is better depends on the game, I guess, and even then your mileage may vary. Neither controller is a perfect solution.

Could you tell me some games recommended for the CX78?

Could you tell me some games recommended for the CX78?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I felt that Galaga, Mario Bros., Planet Smashers, Joust, Impossible Mission, and Donkey Kong Jr. (and I imagine Donkey Kong as well, but I actually don't have Donkey Kong for the Atari 7800) played well with the CX78. Essentially, any game where diagonal movement is of little concern. Xenophobe, Dark Chambers, Xevious, and Midnight Mutants weren't too bad with the CX78 either, but I found I had to be a little more careful about my directional input.

• Like 1

Just got my Euro pads and light gun from Best Electronics in today, So happy everything works great and have been playing the 7800 all morning, the euro pads just bring new life to the 7800.

Congrats. Did you get the actual Atari Light Gun or Best Electronics' own gun?

Best has something similar to this "B.E.'s Sega Controller to Atari Systems adapter cable": http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

B.E.'s is cheaper. But how does it compare w.r.t. reliability, etc.? I do not know, as I've not yet used either B.E.'s or Edladdin's. I plan to get a couple.

Bradley at Best recommended the CX78s instead of the CX24s when I ordered a modded 7800 (AV/Asteroids) from him. The ones I like playing with these are Galaga, Xevious and Commando. They are certainly more ergonomic than the big sticks on the CX24.

Too bad he's completely out of 7800 systems right now. No telling whether he'll get any more.

Best has something similar to this "B.E.'s Sega Controller to Atari Systems adapter cable": http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

B.E.'s is cheaper. But how does it compare w.r.t. reliability, etc.? I do not know, as I've not yet used either B.E.'s or Edladdin's. I plan to get a couple.

B.E.'s Sega to Atari cable is only made for one purpose- it allows Genesis controllers which have rapid fire and other extra features be able to actually put those features into use.

Edladdin's Seagull 78 allows Genesis controllers to have two buttons functioning on Atari 7800 games that have two button gameplay.

• Like 1

B.E.'s Sega to Atari cable is only made for one purpose- it allows Genesis controllers which have rapid fire and other extra features be able to actually put those features into use.

Edladdin's Seagull 78 allows Genesis controllers to have two buttons functioning on Atari 7800 games that have two button gameplay.

I wrote Best about that thing once (this was pre-edladdin and thought "oh this thing may give me two buttons!) and was completely mystified by their response (which is akin to what you say here). I have several turbo genesis controllers I use plugged right into the 7800....they all work fine. I've never had a Genesis controller NOT work on my 7800, plugged right in.

Slow motion can't work on the 7800, can it? Even with this thing?

From all I can see, it is the world's most expensive (by length) extension cable! :-D

• Like 1

I wrote Best about that thing once (this was pre-edladdin and thought "oh this thing may give me two buttons!) and was completely mystified by their response (which is akin to what you say here). I have several turbo genesis controllers I use plugged right into the 7800....they all work fine. I've never had a Genesis controller NOT work on my 7800, plugged right in.

Slow motion can't work on the 7800, can it? Even with this thing?

From all I can see, it is the world's most expensive (by length) extension cable! :-D

Same with their Atari Jaguar JagPad-to-DB9 cables.

Actually, you'd think they would've came up with an Atari Jaguar JagPad-to-5200 cable adapter but that probably would've cut into their gold dot business and 5200 controller refurbishing business. I'm mystified why they don't offer a 5200 Paddle controller modding service; seems like it would go hand-in-hand with their gold dot kits and their ultimate 2600 Paddle Pot replacement product. Don't get me started on the website subject.