IGNORED

HSC13 R8: Manic Miner & Best Ports "Tourney Round"

Spectipede no dots 197971

At last some competition! Friday afternoon is now filled :thumbsup:

Reminder this round ends Saturday 21st May so plenty of time to play. I see we have 33 downloads of the disk images so there must be a few more scores lurking in the ether just waiting to be posted :P

• Like 1

Bug Attack - 3104

Bobby Bearing - Nothing :/

DeathChase XE - 41769

Frisky Tom - 14120

Galaga - 41530

Manic Miner - 7089

Metagalactic Llamas -2180

Parsec XL - 2500

Perplexity - Somewhere on level 1

Spectipede - 250

Stampede - 831

• Like 1

I got 55000 on Deathchase, without shooting anything, does that count? :-D

Good point, I knew there were a few things we wanted in that final version that has not arrived :twisted: OK it's now 1pt per level and probably more if anyone beats the game. I've guessed them for the tables so let me know what level you reach. Tables UPDATED :)

p.s. NO! :P

I just tried all the games using the three disks (the two compilations, plus Manic Miner) on my SIO2SD. They all work great on real NTSC hardware, except Metagalactic Llamas (which only runs under PAL-- it crashes really pretty under NTSC!). Thanks for creating the disks with all these games. They will make playing the games much easier.

Adam

• Like 2

It's rather impossible to get a screenshot on Frisky Tom on real hardware (I've only managed it once). Am I missing a high score that will come up at some point? So far, I've managed to score 5,200 points (which is ironic, since this is an Atari 5200 port). The game seems all right, but it's unfortunate that each game starts the same every time (the same pieces of pipe break in the same order). The music is also really repetitive. It's a good thing that there are about one million other games to play this round. :)

(Ah! The music is stuck in my head!)

Adam

• Like 1

Since Parsec plays so fast on NTSC hardware, I thought that it was meant to be played under PAL systems. Apparently not. When I played Parsec under Altirra using PAL mode, the bottom of the game's screen was B&W: the game is using artifacting to get color. Only NTSC games do that, right?

Parsec seems far faster than the original TI/99/4a version of the game. To make sure that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me, I played Parsec under emulation on the Texas Instruments: it plays at a much more reasonable speed there. On the Atari port of the game, once the UFOs come onscreen, they take me out (pretty-much right away) because they keep coming from behind me-- where I can't fire at them. Also, despite looking like a Defender clone, Parsec plays like a Space Invaders game (except you shoot from the side, not the bottom of the screen). Okay, it doesn't play exactly like a Space Invades clone-- maybe a better comparison would be Moon Shuttle.

Bug Attack seems to be a weird cross between Centipede and Space Invaders (I guess I'm seeing that classic game in everything today!). Bug Attack is pretty hectic! I really dig your ship's explosion.

Adam

• Like 1

Good point, I knew there were a few things we wanted in that final version that has not arrived :twisted: OK it's now 1pt per level and probably more if anyone beats the game. I've guessed them for the tables so let me know what level you reach. Tables UPDATED :)

p.s. NO! :P

BTW, I died in sector 8.

- Y -

It's rather impossible to get a screenshot on Frisky Tom on real hardware (I've only managed it once). Am I missing a high score that will come up at some point? So far, I've managed to score 5,200 points (which is ironic, since this is an Atari 5200 port). The game seems all right, but it's unfortunate that each game starts the same every time (the same pieces of pipe break in the same order). The music is also really repetitive. It's a good thing that there are about one million other games to play this round. :)

(Ah! The music is stuck in my head!)

Adam

Yes several catchy tunes in this one. No score after the go. The game is a prototype, persevere and it is surprisingly playable. I've written about it for the next Pro© Mag ;)

Since Parsec plays so fast on NTSC hardware, I thought that it was meant to be played under PAL systems. Apparently not. When I played Parsec under Altirra using PAL mode, the bottom of the game's screen was B&W: the game is using artifacting to get color. Only NTSC games do that, right?

Parsec seems far faster than the original TI/99/4a version of the game. To make sure that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me, I played Parsec under emulation on the Texas Instruments: it plays at a much more reasonable speed there. On the Atari port of the game, once the UFOs come onscreen, they take me out (pretty-much right away) because they keep coming from behind me-- where I can't fire at them. Also, despite looking like a Defender clone, Parsec plays like a Space Invaders game (except you shoot from the side, not the bottom of the screen). Okay, it doesn't play exactly like a Space Invades clone-- maybe a better comparison would be Moon Shuttle.

Bug Attack seems to be a weird cross between Centipede and Space Invaders (I guess I'm seeing that classic game in everything today!). Bug Attack is pretty hectic! I really dig your ship's explosion.

Adam

We PAL players get some nice artifacting too on the CRT TVs - usually more subtle with greens/reds purples/yellows - I think you NTSC guys get more solid colours. After years of playing Ultima III I was shocked to see it was more colourful! I think the artifacting adds to the experience, makes the games look class though some games e.g. High Rise are too hard to see the different coloured areas on PAL.

Get low on Parsec XL when the UFO wave starts. I was about 1/3 away from the left edge for my good go and tried to not move hortizontally too much!

I've used this round to force in a few games that everyone should try, Bug Attack is astoundingly good :)

BTW, I died in sector 8.

- Y -

:thumbsup: Ok It should be 1pt for each level completed. If anyone beats it 10pts!

I'm probably done playing Frisky Tom-- those red mice a just too fast!

Frisky Tom - 10,600 (NTSC, Real hardware)

Adam

I'm addicted, just reached level 5 for the first time - they really start leaping! 27,400 :-o Over time you sort of figure things out - they have some strange logic :ponder:

post-19705-0-07545200-1463235923_thumb.jpg

Perplexity - completed level 5 :)

post-19705-0-91231900-1463235794_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-72424800-1463235793_thumb.jpg

Parsec XL - this is growing on me, made it through the refuelling tunnel alive this time as you just fly through it. Reached the third colour but my firing was going a bit off probably my dodgy button 22,100 :)

post-19705-0-28654700-1463235792_thumb.jpg

Tables UPDATED :)