IGNORED

Waiting in line to play an arcade game 2016 (in Japan)

cimerians

I saw this and can't help but wonder, when's the last time you waited to play an arcade game? I think for me it may have been SFII in the 90's....or maybe Mortal Kombat. It was crazy but its never happened since.

http://kotaku.com/its-2016-and-japanese-people-are-lining-up-for-an-arcad-1773067796?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29

..."anime girls that represent warships". Typical kooky Japanese shit right there. :lol:

And agree about SFII being one of the last arcade games I remember getting all excited about. Cruisin' USA (the deluxe sit-down) might have been the very last I waited in a short line for, come to think of it. Was when Killer Instinct was HUGE, but was content just watching other people play that one.

• Like 1

..."anime girls that represent warships". Typical kooky Japanese shit right there. :lol:

And agree about SFII being one of the last arcade games I remember getting all excited about. Cruisin' USA (the deluxe sit-down) might have been the very last I waited in a short line for, come to think of it. Was when Killer Instinct was HUGE, but was content just watching other people play that one.

That's based on a video game, Kantai Collection, which was then turned into the anime series Kantai Collection: KanColle. It's actually pretty interesting, it's easier to picture something more akin to mechs in a sense than a battleship/human hybrid thing.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had to queue for an arcade game.

Dragons Lair was one and I had to wait for Donkey Kong sometimes but where I lived Dragons Lair was expensive at 50 cents so you didn't see it overly crowded too often.

Funny but because of game hoarding it gave me a chance to try other games. Juno First, Stun Runner, Road Blaster, Rygar, Gladiator and this weird arena fantasy fighter called Hippodrome.

I looked up a video of gameplay and I couldn't even begin to figure out what was going on there. Regardless, it seems to have a lot of people excited. And I've noticed Kantai Collection art has taken a fairly similar trajectory to Vocaloid art, so it's clearly a phenomenon as a property.

But the last time I had to wait in line for a game in the arcades was the early 90s. I remember huge crowds around the Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct machines. After that, there were probably times I had to wait for a guy at the machine to finish, but there was never a line. Mortal Kombat 3 was pretty much the last hurrah of excitement in arcades and the last time I even had to wait for my turn at a machine.

• 5 weeks later...

I personally never waited in line to play a game because if the one I wanted to play was full up I'd just find something else to play. The last game I remember having a huge crowd around it was the first Turtles arcade game. That's not to say other games probably didn't have huge crowds, or even lines, but Turtles was the only one that I paid any attention to.