IGNORED

Stadium Events cib huh

pretty sure that's a form of mental illness.

Correct. I was once like a collectard and all that. Baggie-chasing every version of every game for every platform. Including label variations. And to what end? So far I've been free of the infliction going on 20 years more or less. I still continue to fight against the gotta get'em all attitude, but only once in a great while. It really is good to be free of that burden.

The reward of keeping it in check is that I gain time to actually enjoy the hobby instead of incessantly and nervously searching for every goddamned game or peripheral in sight.

• Like 2

Correct. I was once like a collectard and all that. Baggie-chasing every version of every game for every platform. Including label variations. And to what end? So far I've been free of the infliction going on 20 years more or less. I still continue to fight against the gotta get'em all attitude, but only once in a great while. It really is good to be free of that burden.

The reward of keeping it in check is that I gain time to actually enjoy the hobby instead of incessantly and nervously searching for every goddamned game or peripheral in sight.

Heh I like the collectard term sadly I know a few and one of them works for the local video games store snagging up stock for personal obsession sadly. At some point you have to set aside the desire to have everything and think on real life stuff. I would rather have 10K in gold than a special game personally but so long as people can rationalize out their need for something that can make more sense. Now if your rolling in cash and money means nothing but collecting does then I don't see the harm there just don't buy them all and horde them since others may wan the same opportunity to own it at some point.

• Like 1

I don't understand the point of collecting, really anything. But especially stuff like this, where it has a real purpose (opening the box, plugging the cart in, and playing the game) but collectors refuse to use it for its intended purpose.

Who cares how "rare" a game is, if the game flat out sucks and is unplayable?

I dunno, I guess I'm a weirdo because I just like to play games, don't really care about the physical condition they are in as long as they work, and couldn't give a shit about boxes or shrink warp. What an absolutely miserable, Un-fun life it must be denying yourself the ability to have fun playing games.

Edited by 78001987
  • Like 3

I don't understand the point of collecting, really anything. But especially stuff like this, where it has a real purpose (opening the box, plugging the cart in, and playing the game) but collectors refuse to use it for its intended purpose.

What an absolutely miserable, Un-fun life it must be denying yourself the ability to have fun playing games.

Some collectors don't give a shit about games. They care about their value. You think all the people who collected beanie babies in the 90's played with them all day?

ROM's are easy to come by. And some sealed games should stay sealed. Opening and playing Othello will bring me no joy. Trust me.

Some collectors don't give a shit about games. They care about their value. You think all the people who collected beanie babies in the 90's played with them all day?

ROM's are easy to come by. And some sealed games should stay sealed. Opening and playing Othello will bring me no joy. Trust me.

No, I think the people who collected beanie babies need an intervention.
  • Like 1

No, I think the people who collected beanie babies need an intervention.

They have groups now with meetings BBA Beanie Baby Anonymous. Its sad I went once but all they had were animal crackers, soup, and tea while sitting on bean bag chairs full of their beanie babies.

Edited by Professor Gull
  • Like 1

I collect just because I like having the games :) I am not someone who paid for my collection though. Lucky for me I amassed majority of my collection before prices were high. I bought up every garage sale, thrift store, and craigslist deal I found. Basically if going rate was twice as much as they wanted...in others I paid half or less I bought it. I would then keep some and sell the rest to get free games.

It all was set in motion back in 2004 when I was hurting for money and sold my nes collection. Then when I started rebuilding in 2006 I literally bought everything for every system that was a good deal. My thoughts were if I ever have to sell again I will have a lot to go through before I have to sell stuff I actually want to keep.

So I bought and resold and only kept high valuable stuff I didn't own. Then I started asking myself why am I selling 20 games to make $15 and such started the hoarding. If it was not worth selling then it went on the shelf LOL. It basically flipped to me only selling high valuable duplicates that I owned.

Now we are here and game values have gone up so high I have been selling them from my collection. A game worth hundreds is not worth hundreds to me and with all the fakes in the market I have zero interest in fighting for a 100% authentic copy, so I just repro them now and let other people deal with the fakes.

Same with sealed I use to collect sealed when they were $20-$50 but screw this LOL. I have sold a lot of my sealed games now as well and the fact that back in like 2008 fakes were getting so good I had a hard time telling sealed from resealed on a few that faked the h-seam almost 100% identical I don't even want anything to do with that market today.

The hobby was much better back when games had low values. At any rate you adapt and move on... well I guess for me it doesn't matter as much as people who don't have so many games, so it does kind of suck more for them.

• Like 1

This topic seems to generate excitement everywhere it is discussed. While I love me some NES, and Famicom (and would consider myself a gamer, and collector of that platform)...I am actually pretty indifferent to this title. Stadium Events is (even if there was a sealed case of them) still an absurdly rare title, that would still sell for waaaay more money than I am willing to spend on a title I wouldn't even play. Lol. I understand rarity. I get it. I just don't always agree with it. I used to have about double the NES collection I currently have. I sold a lot of rare titles off when I moved (because I needed space, and they converted to money quick...and some of the local-ish retro stores at the time saw the rarity factor, rather than gameplay issues). Now I collect what I want, not just what I don't have. Lol.

I don't collect as an investment.I argue that anyone who collects purely as such is a) a prospector, and b)would never fully appreciate this hobby, unless they also play their titles. That's just my take on it. I haven't noticed repros dampen the value of rare games. Hell, straight up pirate stuff has been around as long as the systems have. We've also more or less had to be on the look out for well disguised fakes for a while too now.

It's been an interesting thing to watch the market change. I'm also having a hard time believing how this one instance of someone maybe, possibly....but we aren't really sure... turning up several sealed copies of a rare game generating such a shit storm. Either he's actually had them, and the values are inflated due to perceived scarcity, or it's an epic troll. Time will tell. I still remain indifferent because I pretty much don't do sports titles of any kind (with very rare exception). I can see how someone who actually owns a copy of this game would want to know though. I imagine those people are very few, and far between. So, I kinda see it as a lot of people just freaking way out over something that won't ever actually affect them. Correct me if I am wrong (it happens sometimes).

Edited by madhatter667

Before fakes and prices went so high I use to collect sealed but only good condition. The reason being I thought of it as a work of art. The shrink looked so nice wrapped around the nice clean box. It was like hanging a piece of art on display just as you would a picture.

Before fakes and prices went so high I use to collect sealed but only good condition. The reason being I thought of it as a work of art. The shrink looked so nice wrapped around the nice clean box. It was like hanging a piece of art on display just as you would a picture.

No offense, but wouldn't a picture of said item suffice?

No offense, but wouldn't a picture of said item suffice?

No. A picture is flat and not a box. It's all about the entire package. Plus there is just something extra to knowing what it is. I don't collect pictures, I collect games. I have lots of cut boxes and to me they are garbage not worth a $1. I have a cut Mighty Final Fight box that was cut down for a plastic game holder and I should sell it. It is laying around somewhere.

i get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure most people would think that mass produced consumer products are not art. Nostalgia, sure. Comfort collecting, ok. Art doesn't come off a production line.
  • Like 1

You guys are also over thinking it. There were many reasons I liked sealed and collected them, the art thing was just one. People collect tons of stuff, "because we want to". That's it, keep it simple lol. I find it dumb people collect shoes, hats, beanie babies, and so on. To each their own. Just let people collect what makes them happy and what they enjoy. The reasons are irrelevant.

You guys are also over thinking it.

The reasons are irrelevant.

This.

no, I get it. In the boxes they are worth more money to people who have convinced themselves these are rare and important to them.

I don't care what they are worth. I'm not collecting sealed games as an investment. People spend money on a hobby because it brings them joy,not money.