IGNORED

Stadium Events cib huh

I don't understand how a sealed box game is pleasureful to either the owner or itself. It just sits there and takes up wall space. It's dying to get out of the box and be played!

People collect cars that don't get driven, cans of soda-beer that don't get opened or drank, cereal boxes that don't get opened or eaten, shoes that don't get worn, lego sets that don't get built, magic cards that don't get played with, stamps that don't get used, records that don't get listened to, dishes that don't get eaten on, guns that don't get shot, knives that don't get used for cutting, watches that don't get worn, and so on. How does the world still turn?

How can anyone find pleasure in obtaining all this stuff that never gets used?

People collect cars that don't get driven, cans of soda-beer that don't get opened or drank, cereal boxes that don't get opened or eaten, shoes that don't get worn, lego sets that don't get built, magic cards that don't get played with, stamps that don't get used, records that don't get listened to, dishes that don't get eaten on, guns that don't get shot, knives that don't get used for cutting, watches that don't get worn, and so on. How does the world still turn?

How can anyone find pleasure in obtaining all this stuff that never gets used?

Yes.

and all of those people are nuts. It has nothing to do with the products they "collect" (which some people also refer to as hoarding), and everything to do with OCD/uncontrollable urge to fulfill their obsessions.

Yes.

and all of those people are nuts. It has nothing to do with the products they "collect" (which some people also refer to as hoarding), and everything to do with OCD/uncontrollable urge to fulfill their obsessions.

Dude,do you need to talk to someone? You sound upset about how your life turned out.

• Like 1

Dude,do you need to talk to someone? You sound upset about how your life turned out.

Your entire sum total of 16 posts on this site is dedicated to defending the hobby of sealed game collecting from any and all detractors.

I post here on all manner of video gaming and pop culture discussions.

Glass houses, bro.

Edited by 78001987

So I defend my hobby? Ok. And?

Look dude, you dont give a fuck about sealed games. I do. But when you say shit like "people convince themselves it's rare" or "they are all nuts for collecting" its a shitty statement designed to belittle someones hobby. It's all passive aggressive cunty behavior. If that's what you really wanna do with your life go ahead. No one is stopping you.

• Like 1

So I defend my hobby? Ok. And?

Look dude, you dont give a fuck about sealed games. I do. But when you say shit like "people convince themselves it's rare" or "they are all nuts for collecting" its a shitty statement designed to belittle someones hobby. It's all passive aggressive cunty behavior. If that's what you really wanna do with your life go ahead. No one is stopping you.

And the flip side to your opinion is that collectors begat resellers, and the collector/reseller dichotomy ruins the hobby of actually playing retro video games, by driving up the prices of games with insanely inflated fake values, based on nothing but the tweaked opinions of a few OCD people with too much disposable cash, or worse, who are deep in astronomical debt for their "hobby".

I'd like to continue to be able to enjoy retro gaming without looking at retarded eBay reseller buy it now prices becoming the norm, and making me want to vomit.

So yes, I have a problem with braggy collectors. Nothing passive aggressive about it. Collectors suck the fun out of retro games, so they can sit in their hermetically sealed trophy rooms, masturbating over the value of games they will never play. You want to talk about healthy behavior? Take a look in the mirror. You're trying to fill a void in your life that won't ever be satisfied by surrounding yourself with things you're hording for pleasure.

• Like 1

I kinda think this thread should be locked. It was a very contentious subject to begin with, but the flare up with the stadium events carts is long over. Now we have unrelated bickering. (Not Shawn, he's just saying hi to Tim).

I kinda think this thread should be locked. It was a very contentious subject to begin with, but the flare up with the stadium events carts is long over. Now we have unrelated bickering. (Not Shawn, he's just saying hi to Tim).

I see it as just forum debate. I enjoy reading these types of posts because it helps me to understand both sides of the issue.

These kind of threads pop up from time to time. Locking it won't stop another from starting in a few months time. The collecter vs reseller argument won't ever be resolved. Each side has very strong and differing opinions on the subject. I know mine are. I really bite my lip to avoid expressing the extent of my feelings on the subject as that would only serve to further incite a flame war.

So yes, I have a problem with braggy collectors. masturbating over the value of games they will never play. You're trying to fill a void in your life that won't ever be satisfied by surrounding yourself with things you're hording for pleasure.

Never bragged about anything.

Told you I don't give a fuck about value.

Again,passing judgement on someone else's hobby.

Please. Get help.

Never bragged about anything.

Told you I don't give a fuck about value.

Again,passing judgement on someone else's hobby.

Please. Get help.

You admittedly came here to defend your "hobby" from detractors. Can't be much of a hobby if you have to run around the internet from site to site defending it, and/or Tim Atwood. You've called others jealous of him multiple times, on multiple sites. That's called bragging.

You know - it's really ok if we don't agree on this. I'm not telling you that you have to go and sell your collection, or to stop collecting.

I simply expressed my opinion that collectors and resellers have ruined the retro game buying/PLAYING market for everyone else who just wants to play the games. My passing judgment on behavior that inherently harms large numbers of other people (gamers who want to buy and play retro games at fair and normal pricing tiers), and benefits only the wealthiest 1% within a given community (retro gaming) is actually fairly normal. What you call a hobby, others call greed and market manipulation.

Collectors are akin to Corporate CEOs/Gordon Gecko types, and resellers are the Wall Street Hedge Fund managers all manipulating the market, and betting against the regular schlubs, and profiting from others' misery or desperate moments.

I simply expressed my opinion that collectors and resellers have ruined the retro game buying/PLAYING market for everyone else who just wants to play the games. My passing judgment on behavior that inherently harms large numbers of other people (gamers who want to buy and play retro games at fair and normal pricing tiers), and benefits only the wealthiest 1% within a given community (retro gaming) is actually fairly normal. What you call a hobby, others call greed and market manipulation.

That's not true. If all you want to do is play the game then you can emulate or get an everdrive or whatever. You can even get repro's fairly cheap.

This thread has really surpassed it's usefulness and all that is left is arguing and bickering!

That's not true. If all you want to do is play the game then you can emulate or get an everdrive or whatever. You can even get repro's fairly cheap.

This thread has really surpassed it's usefulness and all that is left is arguing and bickering!

See - this is that bullshit.

"You're not a collector, so you don't deserve the privilege of owning a REAL copy. You can emulate, or use this janky multicart, or poorly soldered repro from a sweatshop in China that doesn't completely work right."

and you wonder why people have a problem with the attitudes of collectors. You're basically saying "you don't get to play these games the way they were intended to be played, because you can't afford it."

It's "Poor shaming".

• Like 1

See - this is that bullshit.

"You're not a collector, so you don't deserve the privilege of owning a REAL copy. You can emulate, or use this janky multicart, or poorly soldered repro from a sweatshop in China that doesn't completely work right."

and you wonder why people have a problem with the attitudes of collectors. You're basically saying "you don't get to play these games the way they were intended to be played, because you can't afford it."

It's "Poor shaming".

Make up your MIND! Holy shit man you will make an argument and then spit whatever crap you think supports your opinion at the time you are given information you disagree with.

A reproduction or everdrive or powerpak is played on the same hardware and not all are made in China. They play exactly the same way and feel the same as original does.

Stop trying to make a case out of one you don't have.

• Like 1

Make up your MIND! Holy shit man you will make an argument and then spit whatever crap you think supports your opinion at the time you are given information you disagree with.

A reproduction or everdrive or powerpak is played on the same hardware and not all are made in China. They play exactly the same way and feel the same as original does.

Stop trying to make a case out of one you don't have.

Everdrives don't have 100% compatibility rates. I know - I have two of them. (Everdrive MD and Master Everdrive) The 2600 Harmony is better, but still not 100%.

repros vary wildly in quality, and are notorious for showing up DOA, or having all kinds of glitching depending upon the build quality. also - repro makers often turn an illegal profit on homebrew games that the original coders never get their cut from.

My argument hasn't changed. Prices of retro games are out of control because collectors/resellers have inflated the pricing because of greed/obsession. Stop telling me what to post, or what opinion to have, just because I make points you can't refute.

Edited by 78001987
  • Like 1

Stop telling me what to post, or what opinion to have, just because I make points you can't refute.

LOL thanks for the laugh. Your points are hardly refutable.

You complain about prices being high and it makes it so people can't play the games. I point out multiple ways they can. You just put in more opinions trying to back up your nonsense.

Fact is prices are high BECAUSE PEOPLE BUY THE GAMES AT THOSE PRICES!

Fact is people can play games w/out needing to pay for a high priced game that many consider collectable.

Fact is you have no argument, just opinions.

• Like 1

LOL thanks for the laugh. Your points are hardly refutable.

You complain about prices being high and it makes it so people can't play the games. I point out multiple ways they can. You just put in more opinions trying to back up your nonsense.

Fact is prices are high BECAUSE PEOPLE BUY THE GAMES AT THOSE PRICES!

Fact is people can play games w/out needing to pay for a high priced game that many consider collectable.

Fact is you have no argument, just opinions.

I'm not just talking about high priced rare/collectible games. All retro games have gotten more expensive, significantly in recent years, because collectors have driven the prices up in general. Just because resellers have taken advantage of collectors who have no self control doesn't mean those prices should become the norm.

Yes, people can play on everdrives or emulation. People can also ride a bicycle instead of owning a car, but that doesn't mean every car manufacturer should just jack up the price of cars to unsustainable levels just because a tiny minority of people with too much money and no self control are willing to pay those prices.

The problem is, now it pervades the entire market. local mom and pop game stores that carry retro games use insane eBay BIN prices as their baseline instead of fair and reasonable prices, because they think that's what they can get.

I have my argument, as stated above. You can disagree if you choose. Apparently your only counter argument is "Prices are high because that's the way it is, and I like it that way, so screw you because you can't afford it!" I didn't realize Donald Trump was into retrogaming.

• Like 2

The only people who like high prices are those who are looking to make something from them.

No gamer likes high prices, it makes it harder to play his/her game system of choice. No collector should like high prices... it makes it harder to complete set X, Y, or Z.

The only people I can envision liking high game prices are resellers, and prospectors.

Collect what you want, collect how you want, and play what you want, and how you want... but if all you care about is the value of your collection, you are neither a collector, or a gamer. There are better things to invest your money in if that is the case. Games are fun, not a monetary investment. I can imagine that if you crack is sealed games (whether for display, or because you want NEW), in an aging market... there would be a premium to that, pretty much no matter what. I don't collect sealed, so I am not well versed in what is "reasonable" in that arena. While I understand wanting to display your collection...I don't understand a game collection solely for the purpose of display. To each their own though.

I am disappointed that this thread has turned into a shit flipping match. I am also a little disappointed at relatively new board members popping on, and what seems like simply antagonizing longer standing members. And even long time members butting heads so damn hard over a hobby that ideally should have room for all. Could be just me, but while you can't please everyone, and opinions on the subject are undoubtedly going to differ (I am sure there are folks who disagree with my own)... it's rare that I see stuff get to the point of being uncivil. I know that internet forum are where flame wars tend to happen... but this is Atari Age. Lol. I can't say that I've seen too many by comparison; I do tend to pop in and out though.

I play/collect. It is a lot of fun for me. Yes I am impulsive as hell about it (when I decide it's time to make more acquisitions). Lol. I've never claimed to not be. I know where that tendency mostly stems from, and I deal with it. Collecting fun stuff is a moderately healthy (even if not for my wallet) outlet for it. It's channeling something in a positive direction. I am sure that I am not the only one who does this. I'm just a lot more sporadic about it (rotating hobbies keeps me from burning out on any individual one).

Edited by madhatter667