IGNORED

What happens to your collection after you die?

How should I know, I've never died before. :D

It's just part of the estate. In the grand scheme of things, it has relatively little monetary value so I don't worry about it. If I go first, I assume my wife will eventually sell it at a yard sale or something. Might make some other collector happy to find something someplace other than eBay.

This is sort of a dark and depressing subject. Ghost-icon.png

My classic computer and all it's associated items are cherished and comprise my hobby. Sadly, when I kick the bucket, the items, being of no interest to any of my family members, means the dump, or possibly the Goodwill, where it'll be torn apart and sold off. Now if I get advance warning that the Reaper will come a knockin' soon, I'll try to find my baby a good home before I croak.

Whatever I have left at my death will probably be sold cheap...or just donated to Goodwill. Most of the time that's all the survivors seem to want to do. They divide up what they care about, they throw away the junk, and they donate the rest. If my collection is still on shelves and looking good (it's 99.9% CIB), I don't think my heirs will see it as junk, but they're also unlikely to want to keep any of it. So it'll probably all be donated.

If I don't sell mine, my wife has instructions on who to contact, to help her with the sales. She has a pretty good grip on how much it is worth.

EDIT: You would kind of expect that of someone who gives you a Cubicolor cart for Christmas.

• Like 4

If I don't sell mine, my wife has instructions on who to contact, to help her with the sales. She has a pretty good grip on how much it is worth.

EDIT: You would kind of expect that of someone who gives you a Cubicolor cart for Christmas.

So if your wife bought you a cubicolor i can just imagine what your girlfriend got you.

This. The wife knows not to sell the arcade games without consulting my local collector friends, and to at least check eBay before liquidating the Jaguar and Virtual Boy collections.

• Like 1

At one point, I said to my wife something like. "If I die, you should try to get at least $1000 for my whole collection." And she said something like "You spent almost that much on it this month!"

You know you are a collector when you are thinking about what happens to it after you get hit by a bus.

• Like 3

You know you are a collector when you are thinking about what happens to it after you get hit by a bus.

I dont know about you but if I go by being hit by a bus I hope I get that extra life in Mario at the same moment. I don't something fitting about loosing my life and him gaining a life that just seems comforting.

Not sure what will happen to my collection when I die, since everyone I know who would want it is about the same age as I am and will probably be too busy dying themselves to get much use out of it. I do know that I kept all of it after my divorce. Even the stuff I didn't really want that much.

• Like 1

My wife has zero interest in computers and doesn't much like my hobby, so I wouldn't give it to her.

We're expecting a baby soon, and if it ends up loving the computers too, then it can go to the baby :)

Otherwise, I'll probably pass them to a friend.

• Like 1

My daughter loves playing 2600/NES and watching me play games whenever she can. Hopefully her and her soon to arrive little sister are going to want to continue collecting and enjoying these games.

If my wife ever leaves me I would gift it all to my best friend who would hold everything for me until after the divorce was finalized... but if she hasn't left me yet I doubt she will. It takes a special kind of person to put up with my shit..