IGNORED

Nintendo Nx to be released in March 2017

Bilnick

The most interesting facts are that it's been confirmed that the NX has actually been delayed from an intended December release because the launch line-up wouldn't be ready in time, and that Nintendo is looking at the NX as the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. Most of that stuff has only been speculation to this point.

I agree about having to buy yet another system. In fact I feel like I just bought the Wii U a few days ago. I skipped the New 3DS.

Just don't want anything else ATM, maybe I'll feel different next year.

That article quotes: "brand-new concept."

Not sure if I'm tired of brand new concepts

• Like 1

I would be more excited about the titles they plan on headlining with this one, Better be something fantastic cause i felt lost with the Wii U. And we done need another Super Mario Bros NX :mad: .

Since Nintendo is unlikely to have another casual consumer hit like the Wii (since that's not something you can really plan for), the main thing they need to do to appeal to beyond the ~13 million Nintendo faithful is to have a healthy third party software ecosystem. They do well with the first party stuff, obviously, even if they're probably not as imaginative as they used to be, but they need to broaden their appeal with a more diverse, healthy library. Certainly they have some infrastructure issues to address as well, needing online services parity with Sony and Microsoft, and a proper account system implementation. All of these things add up over time.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong direction. The 'base' market for the NX isn't really limited to the ~13 million Wii U owners. If it's designed to integrate Nintendo's portable and console business onto a single platform then there may be a lot more than 13 million 3DS owners looking for a new system. And, as Vita fades away with no likely successor, the NX might be the only dedicated gaming portable on the market.

Edited by boog
  • Like 6

I think you're looking at this from the wrong direction. The 'base' market for the NX isn't really limited to the ~13 million Wii U owners. If it's designed to integrate Nintendo's portable and console business onto a single platform then there may be a lot more than 13 million 3DS owners looking for a new system. And, as Vita fades away with no likely successor, the NX might be the only dedicated gaming portable on the market.

Yes. And at the same time, with exclusive titles being less popular and people owning fewer consoles due to financial concerns, Nintendo has to really push to make the NX something people want as their primary, or even only console. The days when they could make bank being the second banana are gone, to survive this next gen, they need to make the average person say "I was gonna get a PS5, but I think I like the NX better."

To do that, they need to grab as many of those 13 million current users as they can, but they can't even THINK of stopping there.

Perhaps, but my point was that there's a finite number of dedicated Nintendo fans who we know will buy the platform no matter what in its first few years. If you think that number is greater than 10 - 13 million because of the handheld angle, so be it. The challenge for Nintendo is going to be to reach out beyond their core base of fans (and yes, obvious statement is obvious, but it's an important one). To do that, it needs good third party support, a compelling reason to exist, a good online/account system, etc.

• Like 3

Perhaps, but my point was that there's a finite number of dedicated Nintendo fans who we know will buy the platform no matter what in its first few years. If you think that number is greater than 10 - 13 million because of the handheld angle, so be it. The challenge for Nintendo is going to be to reach out beyond their core base of fans (and yes, obvious statement is obvious, but it's an important one). To do that, it needs good third party support, a compelling reason to exist, a good online/account system, etc.

It would be nice to see Nintendo actually do a good online account system. Their recent tries leave much to be desired and are often more left to the software developers to make decent (Monster hunter comes to mind here). I think they also have a budding tablet market to conquer since kids now a days use those to game more than parents do. I suppose that was the prototype they had sketches of though but agreements with third party and even maybe, and it hurts to say this, google for the play store aps and Apple. Is that something feasible to coddle together?

The most interesting facts are that it's been confirmed that the NX has actually been delayed from an intended December release because the launch line-up wouldn't be ready in time

They confirmed that they were trying to get everything ready for December at one time?

I knew I saw a December launch window in a recent rumor, but it seems awfully late in the Christmas season to ever consider launching new hardware. I would've thought if they were aiming for later this year at one point, that they'd want to get it launched and get the nuts that line up on sidewalks for days at time taken care of, then have time to get stores restocked for the Black Friday crowds.

Edited by Atariboy

From a personal standpoint I'm really excited about the possibilities of the NX and, from Nintendo's long running track record of having every other home console be a big hit, I have high hopes for it. The N64 was a major success, the GameCube flopped, the Wii was their best selling home console of all time, then the Wii U was their worst selling. If the trend continues then the NX is poised to be a major success, and at the moment it's the only current/next gen console I'd consider buying.

I loved the original Wii and am still playing it to this day, but I never bought a Wii U because (in spite of a few standout titles) there wasn't much I was really interested in on the Wii U and I hated the giant bulky tablet controller design. As far as Sony and Microsoft's offerings go, I'm just not interested in anything they have to offer at this point.

I am a bit disappointed that there won't be a NX reveal at E3 this year, but I still plan on stashing away my pennies and saving up for the March NX launch. I'm not sure exactly what to expect from it, but I am hoping that they'll port Star Fox Zero to it as one of the launch titles. That was the one game I really wanted on the Wii U but couldn't justify buying the system for a single game. Who knows whether or not that'll happen, but I will be keeping my fingers crossed. :)

From a personal standpoint I'm really excited about the possibilities of the NX and, from Nintendo's long running track record of having every other home console be a big hit, I have high hopes for it. The N64 was a major success, the GameCube flopped, the Wii was their best selling home console of all time, then the Wii U was their worst selling. If the trend continues then the NX is poised to be a major success, and at the moment it's the only current/next gen console I'd consider buying.

Meh... not so much. Sure, the N64 was a great system with some awesome games, but it's sales success was eclipsed by Sony. The N64 trailed behind the PS1 substantially. Heck, the N64 didn't even sell as many consoles as the Super Nintendo. So, you're "every other" theory isn't completely accurate. If anything, with the exception of the Wii, they have been losing to the rest of the home console competition since the PS1 came out about 20 years ago.

Luckily they have had their handheld market, which has helped pick up the slack in sales of their home consoles. Unfortunately, with a withering handheld market and absolutely dismal Wii U sales, they definitely need to do SOMETHING right with the NX.

Fortunately, Nintendo has every opportunity to give the NX their best shot. Plenty of money from DS/Wii/3DS sales to develop the system and games, millions upon millions of hardcore fans, worldwide recognition of the "NINTENDO" name (even by non-gamers), and plenty of time for marketing and advertisements. I look forward to seeing what they come up with (but I dread the possibility that they may try a bit too hard after the Wii U failure).

Edited by Retro-Z
  • Like 1

I don't think the core base of fans and those who would buy the platform no matter are the same people. For an example, the Virtual Boy failed too and the 770,000 people that bought one were probably mostly made up of people who would buy a Nintendo product no matter what but I don't think at that time that the core base of Nintendo fans was only 770,000 people. There were millions back then. Most of them just thought the Virtual Boy was a piece of shit. What I'm trying to say is that the core base of Nintendo fans could be massive enough that the NX could be successful just by getting all of them and the Wii U could have failed because most of them thought it was a piece of shit too.

To do that, it needs good third party support, a compelling reason to exist, a good online/account system, etc.

Definitely, it's vital unless they are happy with where they are at. After reading this it's pretty obvious they need to change their online presence. On iPhone they are relying on Apple accounts but they need to do this on their own for their own storefront ....and maybe god forbid, offer subscriptions for free games? I would sign up in a heartbeat if they offered a PSplus or GamesforGold plan.

Obviously we're not the only ones who shy away from buying anything on the eshop.

Definitely, it's vital unless they are happy with where they are at. After reading this it's pretty obvious they need to change their online presence. On iPhone they are relying on Apple accounts but they need to do this on their own for their own storefront ....and maybe god forbid, offer subscriptions for free games? I would sign up in a heartbeat if they offered a PSplus or GamesforGold plan.

Obviously we're not the only ones who shy away from buying anything on the eshop.

I think they are indeed at a competitive disadvantage (and a revenue disadvantage if you look at what both companies make off of those) by not having an online/free monthly games subscription to match what Microsoft and Sony does. Obviously, the first issue is what we all know and that's that they need an independent account system that's not tied to a specific console. It seems like that's what they're doing with the Miitomo thing, so that's probably a good sign for NX. However, Nintendo doesn't like giving stuff away even though they have the back catalog to do it, so even if we do get the proper account system implementation for NX (which I HAVE to think they'll do), I find it unlikely they'll do the free game thing. I do hope I'm wrong, though, because I'd be thrilled to pay annually if they did that, just like I'm thrilled to pay annually on the Sony and Microsoft sides.

I still feel like releasing the NX now is just a big mistake. The Wii U wasn't a hardware failure, it was a support failure. A bad first party lineup (rehashed New Super Mario Bros- twice! and no Zelda), poor third party support (Id've bought one over a year earlier than I did, if they hadn't let Rayman Legends slip its release date and go multi-console), and poor marketing (like them or not, I still remember the 'Wii would like to play' guys. I have no recollection of any Wii U ads.)

I'd thought they were getting their act together for awhile- Super Mario Maker may not be the big new adventure we want, but it's still a fun and unique way to see Mario. Splatoon gives us a rare new entry into the first party IP family. And of course, we were finally going to get that Zelda.

Then they go and pull this NX crap. Guys, no- just make good games for the system you have. Why is that so hard for all of the console makers right now? I don't want the newest, fanciest video cards and sound chips. I don't want to pay for a PS4.5 or an NX or whatever console you intend to spam out. I want. Good. Games. Make with the friggin' games already! Seriously, if this keeps up, I'm gonna go take some computer 101 classes somewhere, get a new machine, and finally set up a steam account. It grinds against everything I normally do for gaming... but at least I know Steam will give me my friggin' games.

That blurry pic in the article... are those a bunch of old GameBoy Advance SP's? :lol:

Sadly no- you can clearly see the circle pad under the thumb of the one non-blurred hand. They're 3DSes.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how I feel about this. My Wii has been collecting dust and I only have a PS2 to mainly play a few games I like. I considered getting a Wii U, but just can't get excited anymore. I think it's because so much of the gaming relies on download content nowadays and I really just like a game that is complete from the beginning, not have to download extras or patches. I would say the Game Cube is the last Nintendo system I have really enjoyed.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how I feel about this. My Wii has been collecting dust and I only have a PS2 to mainly play a few games I like. I considered getting a Wii U, but just can't get excited anymore. I think it's because so much of the gaming relies on download content nowadays and I really just like a game that is complete from the beginning, not have to download extras or patches. I would say the Game Cube is the last Nintendo system I have really enjoyed.

I have a fair amount of stuff for my Wii but definitely more GameCube games. I find though i will spring for the Xbox version sometimes over the cube version if the price is cheaper.

My excitement when I got the Wii U was pretty high but that dies off really quick when games did not prompt me to buy more and I don't mind Downloading stuff but it was pretty much the same stuff for 360 or PS3 and I had those as well. Downloading classic stuff was a nice thought but having some of the classic systems just did not prompt me to want to buy more. I think this will be my roadblock for the NX since I do like to have physical copies of games over digital.

I sure hope nintendo gets their act together with the NX. One big, big, big thing the Wii-U was missing was an aggressive ad campaign. Wii-U launched, and all we heard was crickets. The Nintendo directs and Treehouse videos were nice, but that's just preaching to the choir. I can guarantee those Nintendo directs probably did not convert a single gamer since the people watching them already owned the hardware and were exited about the platform.

I will be a day one purchaser regardless. I think if Nintendo gets the account system right, and advertises like hell, there is a chance NX will succeed. If not, then the Wii-U was their Saturn and NX will ultimately be their Dreamcast.

= = = = = = = =

Dear Nintendo,

Please don't "pull a Sega" on us... :sad:

Longtime fan,

Kosmic Stardust aka StarDust4Ever