IGNORED

Little Ninja Hattori-kun Prototype Famicom Cartridge

fkgiggles

So I've recently acquired this prototype cart for a Famicom game called Little Ninja Hattori-kun. To my knowledge, there wasn't any standardization for test cartridges for the Famicom, so companies would typically fabricate whatever hardware they needed at the time. My question here is twofold: does anyone have any idea what the switch on the board actually does? Information on games with these switches seems very scarce, but I did come across a thread here that said that they might be used to delete data of the cartridge, but if that's the case, then why leave the eproms exposed? Also to my knowledge the game is identical to the full release, however on the off-chance it isn't, I'd still like to dump it, so if anyone could perhaps point me in the right direction for that, I would super appreciate it.

post-46439-0-69636900-1461822359_thumb.jpg

post-46439-0-12993500-1461822360_thumb.jpg

post-46439-0-63900900-1461822360_thumb.jpg

post-46439-0-21876000-1461822361_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's appears to be a very recycled cart. Perhaps they put a game on it, test it, play it, use it, etc. then they place it in a UV light fixture box, it erases the EPROMs data, then they have a special edge connector reader device that can reprogram the EPROMs with the next revision or next game without having to open the cart and unplug the EPROMs, etc.

Hence the Windows make that easy and possible, and the switch is to toggle if needed depending on the type of game programmed at the moment in the cart.

Edited by Supergun

Or, following your logic a little bit further, Supergun, it may be that the switch allows the programmer to select between the EPROMs during the reprogramming run. That way, the burner only sees one chip of a type it knows at the end of the programmer adapter. . .instead of two very different chips simultaneously. Note that one chip is a 2764 and the other is a 27256, so they would need to be programmed separately.

• 3 weeks later...