IGNORED

Microsoft is getting Ballsy!

Shift838

I wonder ... the first time I learned about these aluminum foil hats was in the movie "Signs" (2002, the one with the crop circles, with Mel Gibson). Is there any earlier history?

Yes, there has been movies and tv shows over the years that have had them. Can't think of any right now though.

I wonder ... the first time I learned about these aluminum foil hats was in the movie "Signs" (2002, the one with the crop circles, with Mel Gibson). Is there any earlier history?

yes Michael, the earlier history was documented by me, right here on my picture, I think it was around 1970

And in the upper left, you can see that my parents already had one of these early thin-ethernet-plugs

(maybe it was ArcNet)

:grin:

Here's a nice long look at tinfoil hats. The source says the first documented use was in 1927, but I haven't gone back to verify it. I do know that it was a common thing while I was growing up (in the 1960s), so it definitely goes back pretty far. . .

If you happen to go back to verify, please bring me a souvenir. Perhaps a few coins or stamps.

• Like 2

I dunno about history, but I've always wanted to get some heavy duty foil (the sort used for like disposable baking pans) and fold it like a newspaper boat/hat so I could have a properly ridiculous tinfoil hat for use whenever someone cooked up a particularly ridiculous conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

I used to have a cat that loved to play with big tinfoil balls. She liked the sounds they made when skittering across the floor. I was always worried she might try to eat the stuff, but her interest was purely in batting them around and capturing them. She'd be completely wrapped around one of them while playing with it, but she never bit any of them at all.

• Like 1

Debian is great, and I have done a lot of work with it, especially for hobby and home automation. I run CentOS on my servers, and my kids all have Ubuntu on their laptops. Ubuntu is more "Windows-like" and is easier for people who want to switch.

I spend 90% of my time in a shell, where real work is done, and you have a history of all your previous commands which is extremely useful when you need to recall that clever thing you did two weeks ago. To me, a GUI is great for things you don't need to keep track of or ever need to script, and slows down many otherwise simple operations. For example if I need to search my email for something I know I received, it takes seconds to 'grep' through all my mail folders going back almost 20 years. Searching with a mail app is always orders of magnitude slower for stuff like that. Want to find all source files with certain text in them, no matter what level of directories they're in? It's simple to do from the command line. There are lots of cases where I reach for a terminal and get stuff done, especially corner-cases, that would take lots of hunting through menus to accomplish or would have to find some app to do. Hardcore UNIX people know what I'm talking about - it's just a different philosophy on computing. Using lots of simple single-purpose tools which, when chained together, do amazing and powerful things. Once you get good with these and can come up with the right incantations, there is no substitute.

And NO way is the Windows CMD prompt or even Powershell even close to the sheer awesomeness of a real shell. At my current day job, I tried to get by with Powershell since they're a M$ shop, and you cannot BYOD. I had high hopes for Powershell but find it so cumbersome that I ended up installing CygWin and life was good. It's 2016 and you still can't resize a bloody Windows command prompt to use the whole screen, and want to copy/paste to/from it? NOPE. Powershell is a little better but is still weak compared to Bash and UNIX tools.

My workstation of choice is a MacBook. Yes it's candy-coated UNIX, but it bridges the gap between my desire for a true shell and allowing me to run apps which keep me compatible with the modern business world, such as MS Office. I have OpenOffice installed as well, but it is never quite as good and doesn't render things properly sometimes. The last thing you want is to look unprofessional with clients, so I always recommend people to use MS Office proper if they can. And MS Excel is hard to beat for doing things beyond simple spreadsheet work.

I find that most casual users (Not people like us) really think about applications, and couldn't care less about OS and religious fervor about it. They just buy a computer and use what's on it, mostly for watching cat videos and Facebook. Like Greg, I steer people that rely on/force me to support their machines to something like Ubuntu if possible. It's amazing how infrequent that it falls on its face compared to Windows.

All these OSes have their place in the universe, and to each their own!

• Like 1

In terms of PowerShell, I have found it very powerful for administrative purposes where I have to deal with large result sets. For instance, I can store all of the details of every AD user or mailbox in an organization. Even better, yesterday I stored the results of tacking logs for four mailbox servers since January in a single variable, which then allowed me to work with the results over and over as I tried different assertions against the set.

I have done similar with Bash, taking the output of a command and store it in a variable array, but not quite the same as what I can do with PowerShell. One can do the same with Perl scripting, but for the most part I find they are all tools. Everyone has the tool with which they are comfortable for one reason or another. Whatever, eh. I like what I can do with Bash, Perl, PHP, or PowerShell, heck even Rexx, tools is tools and the more the merrier. I really need to get into Python, and I am learning quite a bit using Scapy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

one more small update, a little bit better optic, and you will get a log-file on C:\LOGs

At start, the CleanMGR.exe is asked for, if you say yes it ONLY will be started at the end of the Batch, nothing more happens.

But there in the CleanManager you may want to check that eventual downloaded Win10-files are deleted,

to get more space on the harddisk.

Also the recognition of the OS is optimized now (see "OS4"), as the included VB-Script (in the ZIP)

to hide the KB3035583-"security"-update, only works properly for WIN-7, not for WIN-8.

(Nothing happend on execution by Win8.x, but I decided to ignore the VBS on Windows 8.x now, better is better)

If somebody feels bored, and knows how to change that VBS to run on Windows-8, please do that :)

I am not a VBS-Coder, only DOS-Batch for many years now, and any help or advice is appreciated.

Also, if you get aware on a "special" update that should be uninstalled, let me know.

Take care, your computer is invaded by the manufacturer.

On success on that, later, you private data will be seized.

xXx

WUPD-SPY-Cleaner-v1.19f.zip