IGNORED

Sony's PSN is making more money than all of Nintendo

JamesD

And just think, if Nintendo would get off their asses and make a sane network, they'd probably have an extra 500 billion yen per year.

I've so far completely avoided anything and everything to do with Nintendo's digital network due to their explicit console-tying of purchases instead of connecting them to a gamer tag/user/etc.

And this is not for the complete lack of wanting anything on their stores either - I have browsed the Wii store several times. If they had a proper digital setup I'd probably have spent plenty on them.

As a PS3, PSP and PS4 owner, perhaps Sony would like to pump some of that money into PSN itself then and bring the servers etc upto the standard of XBL?.

Espically since PS+ is now required to play online with PS4.

In the times i've been paying for XBL Gold as a 360 owner, download speeds etc were far faster than those on PS3 and the planned maintance downtime issues that blight PSN never seemed to happen.

That's neat, but revenues aren't what makes a company grow. What about profits? I'll bet Nintendo has much better margins on their sales than Sony does.

Your point about revenues vs. profits is well taken but for the fiscal year ended March 31, Sony at large reports net profits of $1.36 billion (USD) compared to $149 million for Nintendo. This is largely due to the success of PlayStation as Sony's other lines of business continue to struggle.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/ps4-sales-sony-full-year-profit/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/nintendo-profits-down-61-percent

Well good for them I guess. They could use a break since they were doing anything and everything these last few years trying to get out of the red.

But at the end of the day Sony has a long way to go with their competition when it comes to internal games.

No Last Guardian.

No GT7.

Horizon got delayed yet again.

Broken SF5..well the single player anyway.

Meanwhile Nintendo and Microsoft have pretty much supplied this gen with game after game this gen.

Why not take those profits and help Yu Suzuki abit more with getting Shen Mue III? From what I've seen Sony isn't doing much to pull money from their own pockets in that area. Yu Suzuki shouldn't have to use PayPal to get the thing further along. Hate to see that.

So in the end Sony making a profit doesn't mean so much when they dont seem to be investing it as much as the other guys do when it comes to games. I guess VR is something? Meh.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

That's neat, but revenues aren't what makes a company grow. What about profits? I'll bet Nintendo has much better margins on their sales than Sony does.

I already posted profits in another thread. I think it was the one about who would exit the market next.

SONY had higher profits than Nintendo but I'm not looking up the numbers again.

The point is....Nintendo needs to make changes. A lot of them. If they had GamesforGold or a PSplus games for subscription option I would sign up for it (thousands would). I can't imagine them ever giving anything away for "free". They don't have any of that and their account system is still something I'm not on board with. In other words, they need to make changes before I spend a dime on the eshop. Similar discussion is going on here

• Like 2

The point is....Nintendo needs to make changes. A lot of them. If they had GamesforGold or a PSplus games for subscription option I would sign up for it (thousands would). I can't imagine them ever giving anything away for "free".

And the funny thing is, if htey did a GamesforGold type of deal, all they'd have to do is dig up one or two of their old 1st party titles to offer up - it wouldn't even be "free" since anyone getting those games would have to maintain their paid subscription from that point on to continue to play it. They're wasting a LOT of potential profit by refusing to set up a competent network environment.

• Like 1