IGNORED

Need help with NES-001

I just think Game Genies cost too much for what you were doing in that video. If you are going to spend the much on multiple Game Genies you might as well just buy blinking light win or something. I think using a game genie that still pushes into the 72 pin is not really accomplishing the goal. You still have a poor 72 pin zif connection at some point. Unless you are soldering the game genie I would not think you will get amazing results.

In the end it is all up to you, regardless of looks, if it functions in a way you are happy with that is all that matters.

Game genies are as low as 15 dollars on ebay. So not much. And I already had 3 for various projects. But yes it is better. Because the game genie stays in place all the time. So as long as it maintains connection it always will. If I never remove the genie then it is always hitting the pins. Yes if I keep taking it in and out it will break. But if I leave the genie in all the time how can that hurt. The pins never stretch if its in all the time because it stays in place and never bend or moves the pins.

Because its not upright. Its still side loading.

Even though it's side loading, you no longer need to push down, so the cart just goes straight in. This eliminates the stress on the pin connector. What's the advantage of making it upright? Unless seeing the cart labels is important, what's the advantage of upright vs. the BLW tray? Just wondering, certainly not meaning to argue the point.

The nes is my favorite console, so having an inexpensive fix for its biggest flaw is really great.

• Like 1

Well even my NES without BLW installed works without pushing down. I demonstrated that in my video. If I take out the game genies it stays in there and turns on without pushing it down. The upright appeal is for game genie. I suck at games. Even SMB1 was super hard and even with a game genie I needed like 7 codes just to beat it. And Gradius was super hard even as a kid. Part 1 the original for NES. The very first gradius. I remember taking a game genie to a friends house and being amazed how easy it was with a genie. Beat the whole thing in like 10 minutes. With BLW you can use a genie. Well you can have to keep inserting the genie and removing it with each game. The upright appeal is the game genie stays in place. Never remove it. And just take the game out and put a new one. Never remove the whole genie and game . Genie and pins stay in place and don't wear. BLW probably wears out over time with each removal and insertion. And if genie waers out upright just remove it and put a new genie. Like having a whole new connector with out opening it up and replacing the whole 72 pin.

Well even my NES without BLW installed works without pushing down. I demonstrated that in my video. If I take out the game genies it stays in there and turns on without pushing it down. The upright appeal is for game genie. I suck at games. Even SMB1 was super hard and even with a game genie I needed like 7 codes just to beat it. And Gradius was super hard even as a kid. Part 1 the original for NES. The very first gradius. I remember taking a game genie to a friends house and being amazed how easy it was with a genie. Beat the whole thing in like 10 minutes. With BLW you can use a genie. Well you can have to keep inserting the genie and removing it with each game. The upright appeal is the game genie stays in place. Never remove it. And just take the game out and put a new one. Never remove the whole genie and game . Genie and pins stay in place and don't wear. BLW probably wears out over time with each removal and insertion. And if genie waers out upright just remove it and put a new genie. Like having a whole new connector with out opening it up and replacing the whole 72 pin.

Ok that makes sense ?

I almost never use my Game Genie so I didn't really think of that. I imagine taking the Game Genie in and out would probably eventually wear out the BLW connector.

Well BLW is well made. So I doubt it will wear out. Its not like the original connector. But still upright is better. Easier to load and genie stay in place. And if BLW does accidently wears out its hard to replace. Millions of game genies were sold and replacement connectors are cheap as hell on ebay or amazon. Even 15 is not bad for a genie. Half of BLW.

The trick is the right angle connector. Can't someone make one just like they did BLW? Same method?

I'm sorry but you are still losing me on this game genie thing. Just buy a toploader and be done with it. A toploader uses the same type of pin connector as a game genie. You spend a little more and you are done. No nonsense wasting money on game genies and no time wasted making them work in a way the nes front loader was not designed for.

Buy one without a dogbone and you save $20 instantly.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but you are still losing me on this game genie thing. Just buy a toploader and be done with it. A toploader uses the same type of pin connector as a game genie. You spend a little more and you are done. No nonsense wasting money on game genies and no time wasted making them work in a way the nes front loader was not designed for.

Buy one without a dogbone and you save $20 instantly.

Yes I already have a top loader. But top loader has wavy lines and the original was a clean crisp picture hence the appeal of the original.

• 1 month later...

I said I update everyone and I finally got around to ordering a Blinking Light Win.... This thing is freaking fantastic! I've been giving all my games a good cleaning with some watered down Bar Keepers Friend and every game starts up the first time. I need to find a few other regions games to actually be able to testify if it plays them like it says it does but I am definitely sold on the Blinking Light Win and recommend anyone tired of using 3rd party 72 pins to give it a try. My order shipped out in a few days after I paid so the shipping issues they once had seem to be in the past! So excited... now I just need to save up for the HDMI kit and find someone to do the mod for me....

• Like 2

I said I update everyone and I finally got around to ordering a Blinking Light Win.... This thing is freaking fantastic! ...

Blinking Light Win has one fatal flaw though, you'll never have that amazing feeling of pushing that cart in and pressing it down into place :(

Well bedsides being too late to the topic I'll still give my 2 cents. I sold my stockpile of about 15 NES consoles on Ebay last year. I procrastinated for a long time because a dreaded getting them in perfect order so I wouldn't have any complaints or returns. Boiling, bending pins, new pins, lock out chip - I tried everything. All that stuff is completely trash and a waste of time, all you need is this:

028878F0-9C1E-7E8F-B4DF43C59C1DC2D9.jpg

Eliminator Cleaning kit. This exact brand. Wet it with some alcohol slide it in and out with the tray both up and lowered. Take it out and clean the end with alcohol pads and re-insert. You wouldn't believe the crap coming off your pins. It's more abrasive then the junk Nintendo cleaning kits. Sure it will eventually wear down the pins but not anytime soon. I would put my deck up against anybody's including Blinking light Win in a challenge to see who can run the dirtiest cart.

I said I update everyone and I finally got around to ordering a Blinking Light Win.... This thing is freaking fantastic! I've been giving all my games a good cleaning with some watered down Bar Keepers Friend and every game starts up the first time. I need to find a few other regions games to actually be able to testify if it plays them like it says it does but I am definitely sold on the Blinking Light Win and recommend anyone tired of using 3rd party 72 pins to give it a try. My order shipped out in a few days after I paid so the shipping issues they once had seem to be in the past! So excited... now I just need to save up for the HDMI kit and find someone to do the mod for me....

Congrats dude. The BLW is an amazing piece of kit. I have one and do not know how I ever lived without it.

Also I feel bad for all those Genies that were butchered for their pin connectors. Such a waste. The BLW will work with a Genie; you only have to mod the tongue a bit to get it to fit.

8D55EA18-CE40-8304-BBE268394F6DBC9D.png

8C65D7F3-9638-45A4-5E81DDB841AF6814.png