IGNORED

space age joystick

I just tried it on my Atari 5200 with masterplay clone adapter. Works great. Except for star raiders, missle command, and jungle hunt. Great for centipede. Jungle hunt is awesome. Level 1 vines and 2 ocean are good. Just the rocks in level 3 are hard with the space age. Hard to go left and right or go left and then back to jump over the rocks. Can stand still and then keep jumping but still hard to time it just right. And frogger was hard. But once I got the hang of it it was great. You press the trigger and then go up and he goes up. And then again. You can't just press the trigger and then keep moving up. Or you press the up direction and keep it held all the time. Then just press the trigger repeatedly as needed. So easy once you get the hang. And good for pole position also. Except not sure how to switch from high to low.

Edited by 0078265317

Well, on the 5200, Pole Position is a 2 button game... and the Space Age controller only has a single button. You could try a Genesis controller with the Mastetplay Clone and get 2 button support for Pole Position.

Glad you're enjoying your rare controller :)

Edited by ave1

The Atari Space Age Joystick is an interesting little controller. It's actually a repackaged version of the joystick that Milton Bradley developed for the MBX Expansion System for the TI 99/4A (see here). It's too bad that the Atari version removed most of the controller's more interesting features: the full 360° analog control stick, the "control knob" (a paddle control) built into the stick, and the three top action buttons that the original had in addition to the trigger.

• Like 1

The Atari Space Age Joystick is an interesting little controller. It's actually a repackaged version of the joystick that Milton Bradley developed for the MBX Expansion System for the TI 99/4A (see here). It's too bad that the Atari version removed most of the controller's more interesting features: the full 360° analog control stick, the "control knob" (a paddle control) built into the stick, and the three top action buttons that the original had in addition to the trigger.

Very cool...thanks for the link.

• Like 1

Well regarding pole position, with my competition pro the left fire button works to start accelerating the car. The right button does nothing. HI and LO is from the stick. Pressing down does switches from low to hi. Second fire button does nothing.

And maybe if anybody know where I can get cheap 5200 controller cables so I can wire a button. Ebay is over priced. I think foot pedals can be made. Or can sonebody wire me up a single button with 15 pin canle. Descent size I can press with my foot. And I can just tape it to a cheap broken pedal or box.

Anybody?

Are you still looking for 5200-compatible joystick cables? My best advice is to keep your eyes open for 15-pin PC joystick extension cables (be sure to get the molded plastic ones). They turn up on eBay for reasonable prices every now and then; the last time I saw an inexpensive lot, I scooped up eight of them.

Are you still looking for 5200-compatible joystick cables? My best advice is to keep your eyes open for 15-pin PC joystick extension cables (be sure to get the molded plastic ones). They turn up on eBay for reasonable prices every now and then; the last time I saw an inexpensive lot, I scooped up eight of them.

Thats not what I want. I want the bare 5200 cables like the stock sticks use. I want to wire up a couple of buttons.

Thats not what I want. I want the bare 5200 cables like the stock sticks use. I want to wire up a couple of buttons.

Here's another option, from Console5:

http://console5.com/store/neo-geo-aes-atari-5200-pc-controller-joystick-repair-project-cables-4-1-2m.html

It's basically the same as a joystick extension cable without the male end, and with a stress relief boot added.

I can't think of a footpedal controller out there, but if you need more buttons, have you looked at the Genistick? http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-GENISTICK-Flight-Controller/dp/B0088PNFM4 I've had one since they were new, and can say they can take quite a bit of pounding and the buttons are positioned comfortably for my hand.

Pinout is exactly like a 3 button genesis pad, so if you can find an adapter for other Genesis controllers, it'll work for it too. Also, it has suction cups on the bottom incase that matters.

I can't think of a footpedal controller out there, but if you need more buttons, have you looked at the Genistick? http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-GENISTICK-Flight-Controller/dp/B0088PNFM4 I've had one since they were new, and can say they can take quite a bit of pounding and the buttons are positioned comfortably for my hand.

Pinout is exactly like a 3 button genesis pad, so if you can find an adapter for other Genesis controllers, it'll work for it too. Also, it has suction cups on the bottom incase that matters.

This is what I was talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-QuickJoy-Foot-pedal-SV-129-for-COMMODORE-ATARI-AMIGA-CPC-NIB-joystick-/162058204623?hash=item25bb6bf5cf:g:IFUAAMXQWx1RH6nG