IGNORED

Next Atari Flashback?

AtGames is regularly in discussion with various companies about licensing games for use in various hardware and software products, but there won't be any major new partner additions this year, although there is a new third party (not Activision) involved with the Atari stuff.

There will be new features in the two Sega and one (but not the other) Atari product. Unfortunately, it looks like the sound issue (some sour tones) will likely remain in this year's Sega products, but that won't be an issue after this year.

Well, I am sorry I can't correct my list on this site. If I had known I would be unable to correct it, I would not likely have posted it directly, and linked somewhere I could have edited or removed it as needed. Now I am part of perpetuating inaccurate information! <sigh> :)

I think you should start a thread in the Atari Flashback Consoles subforum here (which is, of course, where this thread really ought to have been started) and put your Flashback Games Reference table in the thread's originating post. Then contact Albert via PM and ask to have indefinite edit privileges on that post, so that you can update it as Atari FB consoles continue to release in the future. Heck, maybe Al will even want to sticky the thread, since it seems like the table would be a pretty good resource for the FB subforum to have easily available.

Also, if you want to have your post use a fixed-width font, I recommend using the Code tags, like so (omit the spaces, which I inserted to try to ensure that my text doesn't get interpreted as actual tags):

[ code = auto : 0 ] type_your_text_here [ / code ]
I mean when you have the post field in plain text mode. If you have it in WYSIWYG mode, just click the "Code" button in the toolbar.

There is actually finite ROM space on all the Flashback products.

Backing up what Bill wrote, here's what memory is in the 2014 Flashbacks (excerpted from my website; the original source is the model numbers printed on the chips themselves):

intellivision flashback - 0 ROM, 4 MB NOR, 2 MB SDRAM
atari flashback 5       - 0 ROM, 4 MB NOR, 2 MB SDRAM
colecovision flashback  - 0 ROM, 2 MB NOR, 2 MB SDRAM
(rather than traditional ROM, the systems use NOR flash memory as the storage medium) As you can see, it's actually not all that big. Keep in mind that the emulator itself takes up space, too, and it's got to be a lot bigger than a 2600 game.

Genesis Consoles, three I think, but possibly some variations I am not aware of, at least with full Cartridge Slot.

I don't know for sure how many truly distinct models of Genesis systems AtGames has put out, but I do know their slot-equipped models have been around at least since summer 2008, when Play-Asia.com had the Sega Mega Drive Twin Pad Player available (that's the black model, with green and blue also listed). I have quite a few AtGames Genesis and SMS/GG systems listed in my website's pnpgames*.txt files, but I'll never know if I covered them all, if some are duplicates, if there were variants, etc. Prior to 2012, AtGames was pretty poor when it came to naming/differentiating their products, and just not very good at marketing in general--the initial Atari Flashback 3 box design in 2011 was so bad, I was convinced it was a bootleg product when I first saw it in press coverage. Fortunately, it was revised prior to release.

If they could add a save feature on the sega portable I may need to get another one too playing all the phantasy star games and the shining force series on the go would be awsome

You actually can (legally!) play all the Genesis Phantasy Star games on the go already, with the Sega Genesis Collection anthology for the PSP. And there was Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA, but that had to omit PSIV for space issues (along with other game downgrades to work with the system's technical limitations).

onmode-ky

• 3 months later...

If they could add a save feature on the sega portable I may need to get another one too playing all the phantasy star games and the shining force series on the go would be awsome

The Sega portable has a save feature for the three portable games that are included this year.

I'm not going to do this again going forward, but I wanted to make sure the info got to the right posts, so you'll probably see this in a few other threads...

The Atari Flashback 7, Sega Classic Console, and Sega portable should all be out on or before October 1 (Staples already broke street date). The Atari Flashback Portable will not be out until some time in November.