IGNORED

OFFICIAL - D2K Arcade Special Edition Release Information

With shipping, it's over $153 Canadian.

For 2 new levels of a game.

Is this a joke? Or just a way to prove that this audience will literally pay for anything? I don't mean to sound like such a dick, but.. wow. I thought Blix-mania would bring out the highest level of cynic in me, but this is something else.

Oh well. It's an amazing port, and if Carl is exiting stage left, might as well go out with a bang. :)

• Like 2

I don't think so. If you think so go for it, but in my opinion it doesnt matter. The price is exorbitant. I mean we are already paying 70-75$ für Elektronite releases, because they ask for such a high price. They are already much more expensive than all the other games of other publishers. They are already "premium". Yeah its a gatefold box, but imo the quality of Revs releases is the same, if not better. What did Copter Command cost? 55? And there you got a patch and a metal copter if I am not wrong, at least early birds. So he realizes low prices and goodies.

Here we have a very high price and for what? Just a game. No bling bling, not even new boxes. Artworks were done, no costs on that. And that not even all people get new overlays is pretty cheeky. So if you want a real new game you have to pay at least 150$ and be quick. If you are willing to spend "just" 100$ you just get a recycled version of the game. In fact you only get a new cart and a new manual in a old box with old overlays. Its just way too much money for very little unique content.

Its no crying, because I accepted that I have to skip on some releases and I am fine with that. But its a unmistakable sign that the announcement post of a new game has ZERO (!) likes. I doubt that we had something like that before. I guess it will sell out anyway, but the reactions should hopefully let the people who made that price think about such actions in the future.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 9

I hope this goes well. It gives people a chance to get a copy of the game. But as I already have four other Donkey Kong games (Coleco, Intelligentvision, DK1 and DK2), I can't bring myself to spending that much money on what would be, for me, limited new content.

I do not arrive at this position without much thought -- as I have an extensive collection (as my original boxes got thrown out while in college, I could get a Silver designation for my collection if I ever sought it -- and the only homebrew I am lacking is Blix).

Ironically, had the pre-sale been open rather than invited, I probably would have been much more likely to have bought this.

I look forward to playing new titles in the coming months.

I don't think so. If you think so go for it, but in my opinion it doesnt matter. The price is exorbitant. I mean we are already paying 70-75$ für Elektronite releases, because they ask for such a high price. They are already much more expensive than all the other games of other publishers. They are already "premium". Yeah its a gatefold box, but imo the quality of Revs releases is the same, if not better. What did Copter Command cost? 55? And there you got a patch and a metal copter if I am not wrong, at least early birds. So he realizes low prices and goodies.

Here we have a very high price and for what? Just a game. No bling bling, not even new boxes. Artworks were done, no costs on that. And that not even all people get new overlays is pretty cheeky. So if you want a real new game you have to pay at least 150$ and be quick. If you are willing to spend "just" 100$ you just get a recycled version of the game. In fact you only get a new cart and a new manual in a old box with old overlays. Its just way too much money for very little unique content.

Its no crying, because I accepted that I have to skip on some releases and I am fine with that. But its a unmistakable sign that the announcement post of a new game has ZERO (!) likes. I doubt that we had something like that before. I guess it will sell out anyway, but the reactions should hopefully let the people who made that price think about such actions in the future.

I agree 98% with you. The first 4 words of your post are the remanining 2%.

(off topic: let me say that I especially like when you write "paying 70-75$ für Elektronite releases". it sounds soooo German :) )

• Like 2

D2K Arcade SE is commissioned by 'Homebrew, Inc.' and Carl is being paid well.

The Newly Designed Artwork (designer was paid) for the stickers and manuals for all variations can be viewed at NaberHood.com.

An open invitation to participate in pre-purchase would have generated a larger response than I wanted at the time, so people were asked individually, when I had enough to fund the project, I stopped asking.

The original D2K Arcade is still in demand. I get asked often if I have any copies left. A used one just sold on eBay for $80+. New copies are still selling for over $100 eBay.

D2K SE is a limited edition game with an all new mode. Those who have been asking for the original have been notified and I have received a positive response. I understand that there are those here that already have D2K and DK and do not see a need to buy this.

Here are the features, some mentioned before some not:

Voice defaults to ON

2 Modes - Jumpman Returns mode and Intellivision D2K mode
High score saves on the cartridge - cleared by holding down the clear key while turning on until the main menu

Jumpman Returns mode includes 2 new levels.

It includes new custom climbing and How high can you get? screens

The box has Special Edition stickers added

There is a newly printed manual
The cartridge sticker is new

• Like 1

I appreciate the mention but please dont compare 'Revolution' releases with others. I'm doing releases for fun.

Elektronite's new D2K Special Edition is for hardcore collectors. Which is fine. More power to them and their new game.

• Like 2

The Newly Designed Artwork (designer was paid) for the stickers and manuals for all variations can be viewed at NaberHood.com.

With all due respect, but you just changed the color of the stripes on the manual into yellow and added a small box which says "Special Edition". The "new designed" overlay just juses the artwork from the old cartridge and the "new" cart-label just uses the boxart. Why did you extra spend money for a designer for that? Everyone who can use Paint could have done it. There is not a single piece of new artwork, the old one just got a new coloration.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

The re-use of previous graphics on the new artwork was intentional as there are 2 selling points here. To differentiate it from the original D2K, but also to show you can get D2K Arcade again.

I could not have done the new artwork, that is why a designer did it.

Just something to think about! Not meant to insult anyone in any way.. We live in a free world. If you think price is to high then don't buy, if you think price is fair then buy.

Free Market

an economic system in which prices and wages are determined by unrestricted competition between businesses, without government regulation or fear of monopolies

supply and demand

The law of supply and demand is the theory explaining the interaction between the supply of a resource and the demand for that resource. The law of supply and demand defines the effect that the availability of a particular product and the desire (or demand) for that product has on price. Generally, if there is a low supply and a high demand, the price will be high. In contrast, the greater the supply and the lower the demand, the lower the price will be.

and here's another !

In classical economic theory, the relation between these two factors determines the price of a commodity. This relationship is thought to be the driving force in a free market. As demand for an item increases, prices rise. When manufacturers respond to the price increase by producing a larger supply of that item, this increases competition and drives the price down. Modern economic theory proposes that many other factors affect price, including government regulations, monopolies, and modern techniques of marketing and advertising.

I wonder how many people are buying out of completism?

It will be interesting to see how Intellivision games sell in general once flashcarts become readily available. I just want to play the games I'm interested in on real hardware. I have DK and D2K already, but am seriously considering buying this for the extra stages. I might end up selling the old versions after comparing this new version.

I'd be happy to pay as much as $20 for just a rom of future homerew if I can play it on a user friendly flashcart.

• Like 1