IGNORED

Jumpman hacking

Savetz

• 4 months later...

As much as I'd like to hope so I can't but imagine this year has been nothing but trouble for almost every one, jobs going, sudden need to find people to look after small children, the sickness itself and just worry upon worry..

I'm just stunned how much did turn up...Our thanks to all...

Here's the level demo for the holiday themed level I demoed at the Atari Party. I'm abusing the 4 missiles to create the snowflakes, using DLIs to reposition them as they fall down the screen. I spent some time making making the display list creation stuff general-purpose, so I'll include this capability into the Jumpman level editor in Omnivore (with the caveat that there's no timetable due to COVID messing up our lives).

snowing.atr

Edited by playermissile
clarification
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone.

I've been a massive fan of Jumpman since i was a little kid. Love the work that is being done here and others that are showing the love to this game that very much deserves it. I've been a longtime lurker on AtariAge, but had to login to keep updated on this project!

Mid-2019 my wife and I opened up a retro arcade where I live and I've always had a dream of running Jumpman as an arcade game (its a shame it never was one BITD).

For an arcade game, picking beginner, advanced etc.....as well as the game speed would be too confusing for people that just want to jump into a game. Anybody have any thoughts on how one could go about removing those menus and have the game just have a title screen and when a button is pushed, it starts playing the first level say at speed 3? 

I wouldn't be making any money off this as my arcade is just a cover charge and all the games are set to freeplay. I'm just really wanting to honor my favorite childhood Atari/C64 game here at my arcade.

Thoughts?

Edited by orangewhip

On 2/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, orangewhip said:

Mid-2019 my wife and I opened up a retro arcade where I live and I've always had a dream of running Jumpman as an arcade game (its a shame it never was one BITD).

Nice!

On 2/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, orangewhip said:

For an arcade game, picking beginner, advanced etc.....as well as the game speed would be too confusing for people that just want to jump into a game. Anybody have any thoughts on how one could go about removing those menus and have the game just have a title screen and when a button is pushed, it starts playing the first level say at speed 3?

I haven't completed commenting the code, but I'm sure that would be possible. The title screen and attract mode could play, then on the start button could be made to go right into Grand Loop with a speed of 3. You could even have a 2 (or 3 or 4) player start button and have multiplayer.

Eventually I hope to have a source version that you con compile yourself, but I'm not at that stage yet. So at the moment you'd have to code up some assembly and hack it into the ATR file. At some point this spring I will have time to get back into Jumpman and complete my documentation. At that point, I should be able to help figure this out. In exchange for a day pass to the arcade at some point, of course. :)

On 2/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, playermissile said:

Nice!

I haven't completed commenting the code, but I'm sure that would be possible. The title screen and attract mode could play, then on the start button could be made to go right into Grand Loop with a speed of 3. You could even have a 2 (or 3 or 4) player start button and have multiplayer.

Eventually I hope to have a source version that you con compile yourself, but I'm not at that stage yet. So at the moment you'd have to code up some assembly and hack it into the ATR file. At some point this spring I will have time to get back into Jumpman and complete my documentation. At that point, I should be able to help figure this out. In exchange for a day pass to the arcade at some point, of course. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, a multi-player start option would be cool too, never really even thought of that, but I guess it wouldn't be much different than a single player start.

I know some programming, but assembly is definitely not my area of expertise. But luckily I have a friend that knows it quite well. Maybe I will chat with him and see if he can figure out something. But source code/documentation would be awesome...in exchange for a day pass to my arcade obviously. ;)

Edited by orangewhip
typos

3 hours ago, orangewhip said:

I know some programming, but assembly is definitely not my area of expertise. But luckily I have a friend that knows it quite well. Maybe I will chat with him and see if he can figure out something. But source code/documentation would be awesome...in exchange for a day pass to my arcade obviously. ;)

Oh, as long as you're not a timeline, I'm happy to help out. I plan to have some web pages on hacking with the Jumpman source, so I could use it as an example of how to modify the code or something. It would be great to see Jumpman in an arcade.

1 hour ago, playermissile said:

Oh, as long as you're not a timeline, I'm happy to help out. I plan to have some web pages on hacking with the Jumpman source, so I could use it as an example of how to modify the code or something. It would be great to see Jumpman in an arcade.

No timeline at all...and help would be great! Its going to be great to see this in a real arcade cabinet with a CRT screen!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:48 PM, cwscws said:

Is there any news on the Omnivore editor or the new Jumpman?

Both projects are still alive. I'm going through and documenting Glover's Jumpman code and will be attempting to make a source version that compiles to a bit-for-bit identical copy of the original version. Hopefully that will help me get Omnivore ready, and after that we'll be designing more levels.

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ho ho ho,  Merry  Christmas ! ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Jumpman Snowing on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us for the festivities!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...