IGNORED

Straight cracks from Farb's ATX-Torrent

DjayBee

I cannot thank you enough for doing all of these cracks, DjayBee. My own skills and understanding are certainly not up to the task. It is great that I am now able to use many of these programs for the first time on real hardware because of your hard work.

I second that sentiment!

Btw, looking forward to playing Tail of Beta Lyrae (sp?) that hasn't had it's counter run up and doesn't fade to near black and white. Been a while but I think Philip Price mentioned copies eventually do this and other things.

Frankly, I'm not good enough at games (and arthritis doesn't help) to have noticed the other problems.

Just need to find a joystick that doesn't stress my left thumb.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with Spy vs Spy II - Island Caper?

You are right, there is a problem with my image. I had a delayed check for the code's checksum overlooked.

Please try the attached updated version.

Thanks for helping.

It is great that I am now able to use many of these programs for the first time on real hardware because of your hard work.

:)

This is the exact reason why I do this - besides the fun.

Spy vs. Spy II - The Island Caper (1985)(First Star Software)(US)cr CSS.atr

• Like 6

You are right, there is a problem with my image. I had a delayed check for the code's checksum overlooked.

Please try the attached updated version.

Thanks for helping.

:)

This is the exact reason why I do this - besides the fun.

Funny, it was the first game I picked to play in the archive.

Great project; thanks for the quick fix.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks for all your hard work on these DJayBee.

I tried Bruce Lee and both versions of Montezuma's Revenge on my MiST and they wouldn't boot. Bruce Lee just goes to a black screen after the initial text loading screen and Montezuma says "BOOT ERROR" after a few seconds of loading.

Has anyone else tried these on a real NTSC Atari? I only have access to a PAL Atari at the moment...

Has anyone else tried these on a real NTSC Atari? I only have access to a PAL Atari at the moment...

I'll see if I can give them a look later today. The Olympics have taken over our TV these past two weeks but I might be able to squeak it in this afternoon.

I have a NTSC 800XL and a SIO2SD.

First off, thanks for all your hard work on these DJayBee.

I tried Bruce Lee and both versions of Montezuma's Revenge on my MiST and they wouldn't boot. Bruce Lee just goes to a black screen after the initial text loading screen and Montezuma says "BOOT ERROR" after a few seconds of loading.

Just tried them on my NTSC 800XL and SDrive NUXX. Bruce Lee seems to work fine, but both Montezuma's just sit there at the blue screen after loading for a bit.

Since you asked :)

APE USB
Bruce Lee - crashes, black screen
Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Brothers)(US) - runs
Montezuma's Revenge (1986)(BCI Software)(US) - runs
U1MB/SIDE2 mount
Bruce Lee - crashes, black screen
Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Brothers)(US) - runs
Montezuma's Revenge (1986)(BCI Software)(US) - runs
  • Like 1

Before releasing everything I had tested successfully all images with my PAL 600XL and RespQt.

To verify your probles I copied the images to real floppies and tested from my Happy 1050.

Result:

Everything works fine except Bruce Lee which only works in un-Happy mode. It tries to read sector $8200 which seems to give an unexpected result with an active Happy drive. It also seems not to like modified OSes.

Please try if the attached a version works better. It ignores the status for the read of sector $8200.

Since my Montezuma crack also tries to read sectors >$400 this might do unexpected things as well with some disk.

Please give the attached image a try which works different.

And btw. the Montezuma images from Parker and BCI are identical. So no need to test both.

Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Brothers)(US)!cr CSS alt.atr

Bruce Lee (1984)(Datasoft)(US)!cr CSS alt.atr

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 2

if it's meant to break by purposely excluding the happy, it's still a form of protection. if it's a problem or error in the happy firmware... that firmware needs a fix.

why would a drive have an issue going beyond 1024 sectors... if it's a disk image, could the problem be with the atr, or the devices method of loading atr images?

the right drive always helps... :) can't load an enhanced or double density disk in an unmodified 810, or a double density disk in an unmodied 810/1050, and XF or better is always a winner.

but the xf can choke on some copy protections, not as much as some mods but it happens.

all sio solution devices and pbi/carts should handle single enhanced and double density as well as double sided and high capacity atr. If they don't the firmware needs a fix

Edited by _The Doctor__

I tried all four on my stock NTSC 800XL via SIO2SD :

Bruce Lee (1984)(Datasoft)(US)[!][cr CSS].atr

Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Brothers)(US)[!][cr CSS].atr

Montezuma's Revenge (1986)(BCI Software)(US)[!][cr CSS].atr

Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Brothers)(US)!cr CSS alt.atr

All loaded fine and worked seemingly without issue (although I only played a minute or so into each game). My stock 1050 is packed away for the time being so I did not try real floppy disks. I can pull it out if it's really necessary but it's a bit of a hassle so I only want to do so if I really need to.
  • Like 1

Before releasing everything I had tested successfully all images with my PAL 600XL and RespQt.

To verify your probles I copied the images to real floppies and tested from my Happy 1050.

Result:

Everything works fine except Bruce Lee which only works in un-Happy mode. It tries to read sector $8200 which seems to give an unexpected result with an active Happy drive. It also seems not to like modified OSes.

Please try if the attached a version works better. It ignores the status for the read of sector $8200.

Since my Montezuma crack also tries to read sectors >$400 this might do unexpected things as well with some disk.

Please give the attached image a try which works different.

And btw. the Montezuma images from Parker and BCI are identical. So no need to test both.

Do these two images replace the two in the original .zip or are they additions?

Do these two images replace the two in the original .zip or are they additions?

They were alternatives for testing.

But since they work for Farb on the MiST they are now officialy promoted to be replacements. ;)

And as I wrote above: Montezuma Parker and BCI are identical. So the new Parker image will also be the new BCI image.

• Like 3

If HI speed SIO is breaking, is there still timing protection in Bruce Lee? or does the code get trampled on? or is it just a case of the emulator not handling the conflict between whatever bruce lee is using and the sio patch

Edited by _The Doctor__

I have no idea how this is implemented in Atari800Win.

I am sure that there is no timing protection. In Altirra it works fine with both "D: patch" and "SIO burst transfers" enabled.

As I noted earlier: I have the impression that it checks for "something" in the OS code. Maybe it is related to this.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I can not get Music 1 to work. 2 and 3 work fine. 1 makes the farting noise on track 2 and 35 and goes to the XL diagnostic screen. Have tried both PAL and NTSC. Only thing I have not tried is OS-B. Version from AtariMania does the exact same thing. HELP.

EDIT: As expected, same thing in OS-B. Goes to the Memo Pad screen.

Edited by scotty

I've tested a few of the EA cracks using U1MB's SIDE loader on my PAL XEGS.

Realm of Impossibility and Super Boulder Dash work fine, One on One gets into what looks like a reboot loop on the loading screen (EOA logo comes up, a few seconds of loading, screen goes blank, then back to the logo), while Racing Destruction Set just stops on a red/brown screen after the logo.

I'm not sure if you want to put any work into making these cracks work on my admittedly far from stock machine, but I thought I'd report my findings for posterity :)

I'm having the same issue on my 130XE and XF551. Though it seemed to work a few times, not it keeps doing the loop. Works perfect on my 1200XL and 1050 USD drive.