IGNORED

Straight cracks from Farb's ATX-Torrent

DjayBee

Anyone have Atari Smash Hits - Volume Vol 2? I have it on disk but it's copy protected. It's on a copied disk though. Wanted to make an ATR of it.

Post the ATR then I will send you a program which extracts the needed duplicate sectors to make it work.

Since there are two different protections I need to have the ATR before I can create the tool.

• Like 2

I can not get Music 1 to work. 2 and 3 work fine. 1 makes the farting noise on track 2 and 35 and goes to the XL diagnostic screen. Have tried both PAL and NTSC. Only thing I have not tried is OS-B. Version from AtariMania does the exact same thing. HELP.

EDIT: As expected, same thing in OS-B. Goes to the Memo Pad screen.

Since I do not know which exact version you are trying:

• All MECC Music titles need BASIC.

If there is no BASIC and you are running it on an XL you will end up in the diagnostic screen. OS-B just hangs in this case.

• Music 2 and 3 in version 1.x runs only on OS-B, version 2.x runs also on XLs
  • Music 1 needs OS-B to run because there is only a version 1.x.
  • Like 1

Post the ATR then I will send you a program which extracts the needed duplicate sectors to make it work.

Since there are two different protections I need to have the ATR before I can create the tool.

I should try to make an ATR with all the errors and post it here?

I should try to make an ATR with all the errors and post it here?

Yes, please. The protection is identical between various Smash Hits and can be reconstructed and cracked BUT the disk has some duplicate sectors which contain the menu and therefore vary from title to title.

1. you post the ATR, 2. I check which duplicate sectors it needs and post the tool, 3. you run it against your protected disk and post the two resulting files, 4. I create a cracked ATR.

• Like 2

Here it is.

Boot the attached disk and put your write protected Smash Hits in drive 2. As an example the disk contains the extracted files from Smash Hits 1.

It will extract various sectors and write two files back to MY disk (see screenshot).

post-6495-0-84536100-1538468770.png

If you only have one drive then use drive 1 for source and destination. Take extra care to not overwrite your copy protected disk.

Dos25Extract.atr

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

Here you go!

And here you go. ;)

Have fun.

Did you have read errors on the first two tracks of the disk?

Your image has a few empty sectors in an unused area which seems to contain some former sourcecode. Another ATR of SH2 which I have contains data in these sectors. I have added this data to your image.

Atari Smash Hits - Volume 2 (1985)(English Software Company)(GB)cr CSS.atr

• Like 6

And here you go. ;)

Have fun.

Your image has a few empty sectors in an unused area which seems to contain some former sourcecode. Another ATR of SH2 which I have contains data in these sectors. I have added this data to your image.

Amazing job! Now we have disk 1 and 2. Let's get both these on Atarimania.

And here you go. ;)

Have fun.

Sector 11 is when it starts to have errors... It was on a copied disk so it very well might have old data on it.

Updated with new versions:

Bruce Lee (1984)(Datasoft)(US)

APE USB - works
U1MB/SIDE2 mount - crashes
SDrive NUXX - works
Montezuma's Revenge (1984)(Parker Brothers)(US)
APE USB - works
U1MB/SIDE2 mount - works
SDrive NUXX - works

Bruce Lee does not work on Atari800Win PLus 4.1

-edit- If I turn off SIO patch, it works...

If HI speed SIO is breaking, is there still timing protection in Bruce Lee? or does the code get trampled on? or is it just a case of the emulator not handling the conflict between whatever bruce lee is using and the sio patch

I have no idea how this is implemented in Atari800Win.

I am sure that there is no timing protection. In Altirra it works fine with both "D: patch" and "SIO burst transfers" enabled.

As I noted earlier: I have the impression that it checks for "something" in the OS code. Maybe it is related to this.

Hi.

Bruce Lee actually had 3 different protections if I remember correctly. It sounds like it is the double sector read that is causing the loading issues. This ATX -> ATR has the double sector check removed. Should work on Atari800WinPlus with the SIO Patch on. These work on an 130XE and an 800XL NTSC from aspeqt, respqt, and sio2sd. I don't own a real drive but should work fine.

ReconstructedBruceLee.atr

BruceLeeXEX.xex

Bruce Lee does not work on Atari800Win PLus 4.1

-edit- If I turn off SIO patch, it works...

Bruce Lee actually had 3 different protections if I remember correctly. It sounds like it is the double sector read that is causing the loading issues. This ATX -> ATR has the double sector check removed. Should work on Atari800WinPlus with the SIO Patch on. These work on an 130XE and an 800XL NTSC from aspeqt, respqt, and sio2sd. I don't own a real drive but should work fine.

Because Ute came up with this again, I dug into it.

The reason is that the SIO patch always returns sector CHKSUMs of $00 which fails this check:

091A: A9 00             LDA #$00	; buffer $3800
091C: 85 80             STA $80
091E: A9 38             LDA #$38	; buffer $3800
0920: 85 81             STA $81
0922: A9 01             LDA #$01	; sector $1
0924: 85 82             STA $82
0926: A9 00             LDA #$00
0928: 85 83             STA $83
092A: 20 66 09          JSR $0966	; set up DCB and JSR DSKINV
092D: A5 31             LDA CHKSUM
092F: C9 16             CMP #$16	; checksum $16
0931: D0 1F             BNE $0952
Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

If someone states the disk is from an already copied disk, then the disk is not an original.. this is suppose to be straight cracks from original images and the atx generated from them...

It should be noted to all who are trying to use the cracks or recreate from streams or atx files to always use blank never before used disks or BULK erase/ De-gaused disks!

This means virgin disks or completely devoid or data/format disks folks...

so please make sure the disks are not pre formatted, used etc. if they are you really should bulk erase or degause them...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I agree, I don’t care in my case as I helped bring a missing disk to the community that can be copied and enjoyed. If you find the original disk feel free to do as I did. I think this is a case of beggars can’t be choosers as there’s not a lot we can do if we can’t find the original disk. It seems that the disk that I have was copied using a Happy or other such hardware copier from an original onto a another disk, which is as close as you can get to an original.

Edited by tjlazer

I'm all for any copy we can get if there is no original... but we have to keep track of what is or isn't so the search continues for the original. It's part of the protocol. We want every piece we can find. Just have to notate it's provenance so as to make it all happen.

The info still goes for folks making/reconstituting disks. Make sure to use the UN-formatted truly blank disks... otherwise the it may fail... or turn up later causing an issue..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I agree, I don’t care in my case as I helped bring a missing disk to the community that can be copied and enjoyed. If you find the original disk feel free to do as I did. I think this is a case of beggars can’t be choosers as there’s not a lot we can do if we can’t find the original disk. It seems that the disk that I have was copied using a Happy or other such hardware copier from an original onto a another disk, which is as close as you can get to an original.

Is this related to my comment about source code fragments on your SH2 dump?

They BELONG there. SH1 and SH3 have exactly the same source code in (IIRC the same) unused sectors of the disk. I only asked about bad sectors because a couple of these to-have soruce code sctors are zeroed out in your dump. And this is also not unusual. The current ATX-dumps of SH1 and SH3 also have bad sectors which are irrelevant for the program but seem to belong there.

I'm all for any copy we can get if there is no original... but we have to keep track of what is or isn't so the search continues for the original. It's part of the protocol. We want every piece we can find. Just have to notate it's provenance so as to make it all happen.

The info still goes for folks making/reconstituting disks. Make sure to use the UN-formatted truly blank disks... otherwise the it may fail... or turn up later causing an issue..

If I recover dumps like tjlazer's I usually also create a working ATX with reproduced protection. BUT I usually do not publish them to avoid confusion about what has really been preserved and what is a handmade "fake" or Frankendisk as I call them in relation to Frankenstein's hand-stitched monster.

They also do not have any real use when a clean crack is available.

Because Ute came up with this again, I dug into it.

The reason is that the SIO patch always returns sector CHKSUMs of $00 which fails this check:

091A: A9 00             LDA #$00	; buffer $3800
091C: 85 80             STA $80
091E: A9 38             LDA #$38	; buffer $3800
0920: 85 81             STA $81
0922: A9 01             LDA #$01	; sector $1
0924: 85 82             STA $82
0926: A9 00             LDA #$00
0928: 85 83             STA $83
092A: 20 66 09          JSR $0966	; set up DCB and JSR DSKINV
092D: A5 31             LDA CHKSUM
092F: C9 16             CMP #$16	; checksum $16
0931: D0 1F             BNE $0952

He he, yeah I just had it skip all of the checksum sections.

Is this related to my comment about source code fragments on your SH2 dump?

They BELONG there. SH1 and SH3 have exactly the same source code in (IIRC the same) unused sectors of the disk. I only asked about bad sectors because a couple of these to-have soruce code sctors are zeroed out in your dump. And this is also not unusual. The current ATX-dumps of SH1 and SH3 also have bad sectors which are irrelevant for the program but seem to belong there.

If I recover dumps like tjlazer's I usually also create a working ATX with reproduced protection. BUT I usually do not publish them to avoid confusion about what has really been preserved and what is a handmade "fake" or Frankendisk as I call them in relation to Frankenstein's hand-stitched monster.

They also do not have any real use when a clean crack is available.

I think you raise a really good point. We all want to keep the cracks minimally invasive(And some of the original ones out there are terribly invasive), which would possibly mean keeping them in the ATX format but then we don't know which version is cracked or not. IMO it's less confusing to convert them to an ATR and then we know it's not a preserved copy.

I love cracks as it is definitely a nostalgia trip. I wonder what happened to the clean initiative to remove all protections and to move adjust to run on as many drives and computers as (in)humanly possible... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hi.

Working well on real hardware, tested on 1200XL and 130XE with 1050 and XF551 drives.

• 3 months later...

Bumping up this EXCELLENT thread to bring up a relatively minor issue I ran into last night trying to run The Eidolon from the SIDEloader on my 1088XEL's built-in CF card hard drive; using Jon's firmware, I can mount ATR files in the various D: slots and boot off them, and even write to them. Anyway, it seems that The Eidolon doesn't want to work when run that way - both versions posted in this thread hang when run from the SIDEloader. However, they will load and run from an SIO2USB device or SDrive-Max. And as a test, I wrote out one of them to a physical floppy using a sector copier and it booted up just fine.

When I mentioned this to Jon, he discovered the cause:

Unfortunately Eidolon appears to use an IRQ-driven custom SIO loader and will therefore never boot from an IDE-hosted ATR. Sorry!

Basically, the reason Eidolon doesn't work is the same reason behind most other failures. If a title uses its own SIO loader, it won't work

However, he also said:

An interesting patch would be replacing the Eidolon loader with some code which simply reads the requisite sectors into RAM using standard OS calls. That would fix the problem completely. There's just a little stub of code which waits for a flag at $80 to be set by the IRQ driven loader, at which point a JMP presumably occurs to the start of the game proper.

Is this something some of the resident code-wizards would be interested in doing? If so, thanks in advance. :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 3