IGNORED

Local Retro Game Stores?

There's a good-sized one in my area, called Sound Go Round. They have games going all the way back to the Atari 2600/Intellivision/ColecoVision/Odyssey 2 generation, and up, and a few other things, as well.

One of my other favorites is Jay Street Video Games, which sometimes has cheaper prices than SGR, but I've mainly seen this with SNES games. The only problem is that there aren't any of those near me; the closest one is two hours away.

There's Disc Replay in Flint and a game store in Davison that has limited number of pre-disc era consoles and games. Prices are largely eBay average. $150 for a TG16 game? $400 for a boxed 5200 system? At one time they had a grey N64 Zelda MM cart with not for resale label, they wanted a few G's for it. Granted it's rare but it's higher than the few I've seen on eBay.

I stick to flea market and garage sales, there are still a few sellers who don' (or can't) use eBay or just want to move stuff fast. The last time I had a great deal was from that odd guy who prefers to meet in ally only. He was arrested the next morning, supposedly for B&E, and hasn't been out of jail since then so I can't get any more nice stuff from him.

• Like 1

There's one in the town I work in that I go to pretty regularly. They do ebay prices, though, so I don't often buy much. (Last purchase was Tomb Raider for Saturn for $14.99.) They do seem to listen to me, though, because I remember going in and looking around for a bit and asking them if they ever got in any Master System games. They said they had some in back and brought out an arm load of them. I looked through them and bought a couple (Y's and Alex Kidd). The next time I went in, they had some SMS games out on the shelf. Same about the Saturn games. They didn't really have any out (a couple of more expensive ones in the case, but that was it). I asked them if they got many people asking for Saturn games and they said that they didn't really. The next time I went in, they had more Saturn games out on the shelves. I just kinda laugh and think to myself that I'm steering their inventory. I should start asking about more obscure stuff and see if it shows up.

There are some options.

There's a used A/V store that has a couple locations. Some of the prices were crazypants years ago when I last stopped in. Not all were, and was a good place to nab the occasional obscure NES rarity. Dunno about these days. There's another one out here in a mall. Stopped in. Neat idea. Prices on some of the systems weren't the worst... but comparable to eBay. Prices have gone up a bit it seems over the years. It's been a while since I've actively hunted hardware, so take that for what it is. The games there, were overpriced. Common games under glass with high eBay prices. Granted, good common games that people would recognize, but common none the less. $20 for SMB/Duck Hunt. Good luck with that. If I ever needed a PSU or controller for one of the more common consoles I own, and I needed it NOW, that is where I would go though (lots of the Tomee, Hyperkin, Pelican type stuff).

Mostly, I'll buy from other forum users, or bid my pain point on ePay, and call that good enough these days.

Based on some of their prices that I could see in your video, I wouldn't say that their slogan of "we sell for less" is accurate depending on the customer.

It definitely depends on what you are shopping for but I usually bundle items for a discount. It is nice you can haggle there.

• 3 weeks later...

I like game stores, but honestly... they all ask for far more money than I think I'm willing to pay for most of the stuff. The flea markets (like the Swap Shop here in Sunrise) used to have a lot of stuff about ~15 years ago, but there isn't much now. What is there, is ridiculously expensive... like people charging $10 bucks for the most beat up N64 cartridge.

But, it's fun to look through a lot of this stuff. I sometimes wonder if the stores are more interested in displaying their games, rather than actually selling stuff.

I'm in Boston, and there are a few good retro gaming stores within about a 40 minute drive. Some are comic/toy/game shops with some retro video games, but others are strictly "retro gaming". My favorite is almost certainly Replay'd in Allston. Nice folks, generally pretty good prices, and their stock tends to flow pretty well, so there's almost always a good chance I find something that wasn't in there (or I didn't see) last time. They all have their quirks, but Patriot Games and Sudden Impact are worth mentioning, depending on what you're looking for (or willing to pay).

But boy, oh, boy... do I remember the halcyon days of the early '00s, when I would hit up GameStop with $30 and leave with a big bag of NES/SNES games. Now? Haven't been in one in years.