IGNORED

Local Retro Game Stores?

There's a lot of retro places around me (I'm just south of MetalJesus's stomping grounds), but I spend a lot of time in a hole-in-the-wall called Game Lobster that's walking distance from work. They... are not the store if you're looking for the best, most perfect condition games in an easy-to-shop setup. It's dirty, it's horrifically disorganized, it's run by a lil' Korean lady I don't think plays games and an old Russian guy my brother thinks must be ex-mafia. They also have a reputation for being 'rude'. Personally, I don't think it's justified. Most of the complaints I see on yelp & the like are from people who seem to have expected pristine games and super organization, didn't figure out that's not how it works when they walked in, and don't know how to troubleshoot a non-working game.

Now, if you're the sort who's OK with cleaning your own games, and doesn't mind jumping into someone's junk heap to see what's available, you can get some good stuff (I got my Channel F there, and they currently have an Odyssey & the gun in stock- out of my price range though.) Once the owners get to know you, they soften up on the policies a bit too- I bought a couple games yesterday, and was told "return policy is 3 days, but you're special- you get a week!"

They do charge Ebay-level prices... about on par with the lowest buy-it-now for the game (give or take a couple dollars). Here's the thing, though- I'm OK with that in the right store. Game Lobster keeps a lil' CRT behind the counter, and does test their stuff- in fact, if they've got the system around they'll test anything you want before you buy it. So, unlike Ebay, you can look a game over in-person, and make sure it works, before you put up money for it. If the cost is going to be the same, I'd much rather get the is-person game than the online one.

• 4 weeks later...

A Disc Replay opened in Elgin Illinois. They bought up all the old games in the area, had them priced way above Ebay, closed shop after their 6 month lease. TNT Games in Dekalb closed and so did Play N' Trade in St. Charles.

There's still Disc Replays every where else and Gorilla Games in Naperville and Game Corner and Game Worlds in Rockford. But the prices are too high and they don't have enough cool/rare stuff to make it a fun window shopping trip.

The only way a retro gaming store gets away with having reasonable prices is if they have a ton of new inventory coming in. Otherwise they dry up pretty fast.

There was a store around me that made it really easy to spot a good deal. You just had to look at the sticker price and if it was brown and crusty from age it was a good deal. Pocky & Rocky $12, Knights of the Round $15, King of Dragons $10. Needless to say all their good inventory went pretty quickly.

Edited by Dashopepper

classic game junkie looks like a great store. i am friends and follow online a store called warp zone in ohio. sadly we just have little trade type stores that just carry what the locals have so lots of meh condition stuff and mostly ps2 ps1 and xbox. still its nice to have a place to go and chat and get old stuff without going online and they sometimes have rare stuff just not much. its called vip game store in boise, idaho mom and pop place the other store like it closed and this one is better anyway and has been around a few years now. i support them often i;m in their almost every paycheck

There is a store in my area that I hit up once in a while when I’m in the neighborhood. It’s where I bought my first 2600 when I got into retro games back in 2010 or so. They have a decent assortment of games and hardware ranging from pre-crash up to modern.

Most collectors would probably bristle at most of the pricing, though. Not being a collector myself, I’m not as offended by the prices; the way I look at it is, I just use that place to pick up the odd game or spare controller or whatever, so the premium price is worth it just to be able to walk in, grab what I want, and walk out, without having to deal with internet sellers or seedy local classifieds.