IGNORED

Getting started with the TI

iKarith

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the TI since I picked up a (just about pristine!) silver console at Goodwill a few weeks ago. I'm legally blind, so I'm actually pretty glad that probably most/all of the manuals I'll want to read are probably scanned as PDF.

Some of you met me last weekend at FestWest, I'm the albino/tomato who came with ElectricLab. Definitely closer to tomato by the time I got home, but was totally worth it. ;) I had a blast, and any of you who are in the area and haven't been, you should totally go next time!

I'm not totally new to retrocomputing--I do Apple stuff and actually work on Raspple II with IvanX, which is where we take a Raspberry Pi and turn it into a cheap peripheral for 1MHz computers. BECAUSE WE CAN. :) It's a pretty efficient way to get software onto our beloved machines.

Dunno if the same kinds of things are possible for the TI yet. I did borrow the nanoPEB ElectricLab bought at FestWest and will probably buy it from him when I'm less economically challenged, but what I've been able to glean so far suggests that all of the tools I'll want for loading the CF full of stuff are DOS/Windows. I can probably use dosbox for the former, but as the Pi uses an ARM chip, WINE isn't likely to help with the latter.

Other options I don't know much about yet.

Anyway, I'd like to sort this out, and if I can I'd like to begin writing/revising a n00b howto for the TI. If it winds up being doable on the Pi, maybe we can even cook up something like Raspple II for it eventually, though I've got lots of todo items right now, so a howto may have to serve for the time being.

Whadda y'all think? :)

• Like 2

I've hit my first snag, I think: I connected the nanoPEB and turned on the console… sounds like a touch-tone is being pressed and there's no picture at all. If I disconnect the CF daughterboard it comes up fine. But with the daughterboard present, no such luck. I notice a DC barrel connection on the back of the nanoPEB, and the daughterboard looks like a standard IDE to CF reader part. I'm wondering if external power is required. I probably have a power supply that'd work, having plenty of standard 5v and 12v bricks laying around here, but I don't know if that's the problem or not.

I've looked for documentation and find references back to the "no longer available" page for the CF7+/nanoPEB. Help/manual please? :)

I also tried to get TI-99/Sim running last night on the RPi. Comes up with no sound, and it doesn't seem to want to exit, requiring a kill -9 to get it to close. If I can get TI-99/Sim working, it appears to include some tools for accessing and converting files from the CF7+ image format. I'm totally out of ideas with that—tried compiling my own, but that didn't help much. I could use a hand with that too, but real hardware at least I have some idea what the problem might be. The emulator? Ya got me, without poring over the code I couldn't guess. And it's SDL1.2, too, so other than the fact that most of the code for RPi using SDL uses 1.2, I couldn't guess at what the problem is.

Once upon a time, I actually maintained those SDL packages for Debian. Sound was much easier back in those daze. :(

Any ideas or pointers about anything would be REALKY appreciated, I'm stuck. :(

I connected the nanoPEB and turned on the console… sounds like a touch-tone is being pressed and there's no picture at all. If I disconnect the CF daughterboard it comes up fine. But with the daughterboard present, no such luck. I notice a DC barrel connection on the back of the nanoPEB, and the daughterboard looks like a standard IDE to CF reader part. I'm wondering if external power is required. I probably have a power supply that'd work, having plenty of standard 5v and 12v bricks laying around here, but I don't know if that's the problem or not.

External power is required, won't work without it. Use a +5VDC wall wart to power the board. I'm surprised that the knowledgeable users at the PNW meetup didn't tell you that.

*BUT*

If you have the device that Omega was selling, be aware that it's only barely functional. It has (at the very least) bad solder joints. See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251299-rat-farts/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3488720and http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251299-rat-farts/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3488888 for details, but the executive summary is that this unit (if, indeed, it was the one we were talking about) was known bad prior to PNW and should have been flagged as such.

I did borrow the nanoPEB ElectricLab bought at FestWest and will probably buy it from him when I'm less economically challenged, but what I've been able to glean so far suggests that all of the tools I'll want for loading the CF full of stuff are DOS/Windows. I can probably use dosbox for the former, but as the Pi uses an ARM chip, WINE isn't likely to help with the latter.

Use xvm99.py in https://github.com/endlos99/xdt99/on UNIX/Linux/anything that runs on the rPi. Python-based.

Edit: ralphb is the developer of the xdt99 suite. He knows what he's talking about icon_smile.gif

Edited by ckoba

External power is required, won't work without it. Use a +5VDC wall wart to power the board. I'm surprised that the knowledgeable users at the PNW meetup didn't tell you that.

*BUT*

If you have the device that Omega was selling, be aware that it's only barely functional. It has (at the very least) bad solder joints. See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251299-rat-farts/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3488720and http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251299-rat-farts/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3488888 for details, but the executive summary is that this unit (if, indeed, it was the one we were talking about) was known bad prior to PNW and should have been flagged as such.

Those nice folks at FestWest would've likely told me that and shown me all about how to do it and all, except I asked ElectricLab to borrow the thing "at some point" for writing a n00b howto with it after we got back to Portland and were like four blocks from home. And he and I haven't gotten together since so he could show me anything about using it yet. :)

ElectricLab picked this one up because (IIRC) he killed the serial port on his, and it'd be useful to have another around. It was mentioned that this one has some issues that could be addressed, I do recall that. I just figured I'd have a go at it and see.

Turns out that while I know I have a power supply that'll fit it, I don't know where I have a power supply that fits it. Looks to be 5.5/2.5mm, and I know I have a few of those, but one doesn't come to hand at the moment. So I'll have to play with this later. In the meantime I should be able to extract the CF card from it and try ralphb's tools to see if I can poke at the contents.

If I can get TI-99/Sim going, that'll be something to play with virtually for now, and when ElectricLab and I get together we can get real hardware to cooperate. :)

I think xvm99 is a big part of the solution for anyone who has a working nanoPEB or CF7+ from my OP.

Make friends with someone enrolled at your local community college that's taking basic electronics courses, and ask them to freshen up *all* of the solder joints on the device (especially under the EEPROM). That will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

I've got the PDF manual for the CF7/nanoPEB around here somewhere (the guy making them took down the main page, but not the subpages, so it's still available online). If you can't find it, and no one else steps up to the plate, let me know and I'll send it along.

(everything in xdt99 is fantastic. Screw the Windows tools; portable python is where it's at. I've argued that point several times on these forums in various contexts, especially the Hardware Project That Must Not Be Named, but you're the first proof-of-use case that I've seen. Thanks for that.)

Those nice folks at FestWest would've likely told me that and shown me all about how to do it and all, except I asked ElectricLab to borrow the thing "at some point" for writing a n00b howto with it after we got back to Portland and were like four blocks from home. And he and I haven't gotten together since so he could show me anything about using it yet. :)

ElectricLab picked this one up because (IIRC) he killed the serial port on his, and it'd be useful to have another around. It was mentioned that this one has some issues that could be addressed, I do recall that. I just figured I'd have a go at it and see.

Turns out that while I know I have a power supply that'll fit it, I don't know where I have a power supply that fits it. Looks to be 5.5/2.5mm, and I know I have a few of those, but one doesn't come to hand at the moment. So I'll have to play with this later. In the meantime I should be able to extract the CF card from it and try ralphb's tools to see if I can poke at the contents.

If I can get TI-99/Sim going, that'll be something to play with virtually for now, and when ElectricLab and I get together we can get real hardware to cooperate. :)

I think xvm99 is a big part of the solution for anyone who has a working nanoPEB or CF7+ from my OP.

This is the one he got from me, and it did not come with a power cord. I assumed he had one from his "bad one" :) You can jerry rig 5v off the TI power supply to a cable or just get one of these and use a usb plug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elbow-USB-2-0-Male-to-5V-DC-Power-5-5mm-2-1mm-Barrel-Connector-Cable-Cord-Black-/272087192727?hash=item3f59a91497:g:KQkAAOSwMmBVyBMU

I also tried to get TI-99/Sim running last night on the RPi. Comes up with no sound, and it doesn't seem to want to exit, requiring a kill -9 to get it to close. If I can get TI-99/Sim working, it appears to include some tools for accessing and converting files from the CF7+ image format. I'm totally out of ideas with that—tried compiling my own, but that didn't help much. I could use a hand with that too, but real hardware at least I have some idea what the problem might be. The emulator? Ya got me, without poring over the code I couldn't guess. And it's SDL1.2, too, so other than the fact that most of the code for RPi using SDL uses 1.2, I couldn't guess at what the problem is.s

I don't think I've heard of ti99sim locking up before. My first guess would be an audio issue (a lot of issues seem to be related SDL/ALSA support on various platforms). To see if this is the problem, try running with the -q switch. This will prevent any sdl audio code from running. Normally, hitting the escape key will exit the emulator immediately.

FYI, there is a bug in the cf7+ emulation that will cause the emulator to sit at a blank screen on startup if you have the cf7+ cartridge installed without a proper disk image for it. This will be fixed in the next release (I only just discovered this during testing since I normally have a test image in place). If this does happen, you should still be able to exit by hitting escape, so this doesn't sound like the issue you're seeing.

This is the one he got from me, and it did not come with a power cord. I assumed he had one from his "bad one" :) You can jerry rig 5v off the TI power supply to a cable or just get one of these and use a usb plug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elbow-USB-2-0-Male-to-5V-DC-Power-5-5mm-2-1mm-Barrel-Connector-Cable-Cord-Black-/272087192727?hash=item3f59a91497:g:KQkAAOSwMmBVyBMU

I should have be bunch of them around here, but don't see one now. I might want to pick up a couple of those adapter cables anyway just to have them handy.

Make friends with someone enrolled at your local community college that's taking basic electronics courses, and ask them to freshen up *all* of the solder joints on the device (especially under the EEPROM). That will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

I've got the PDF manual for the CF7/nanoPEB around here somewhere (the guy making them took down the main page, but not the subpages, so it's still available online). If you can't find it, and no one else steps up to the plate, let me know and I'll send it along.

(everything in xdt99 is fantastic. Screw the Windows tools; portable python is where it's at. I've argued that point several times on these forums in various contexts, especially the Hardware Project That Must Not Be Named, but you're the first proof-of-use case that I've seen. Thanks for that.)

Maybe ElectricLab and I can at least test continuity flaky joints and redo any that look like the need it. The stacked 32 pin chips just look like a recipe for headache if the soldering is flaky anywhere. The joints look okay to my eyes, if a little ugly based on the nature of piggybacking chips. I keep wanting some kind of spacer under the CF adapter board to keep it from flapping around.That's got to be a source of some problems somewhere.

Was serious in the other thread when I said I think there'd be interest in a cleaner design.

I don't think I've heard of ti99sim locking up before. My first guess would be an audio issue (a lot of issues seem to be related SDL/ALSA support on various platforms). To see if this is the problem, try running with the -q switch. This will prevent any sdl audio code from running. Normally, hitting the escape key will exit the emulator immediately.

FYI, there is a bug in the cf7+ emulation that will cause the emulator to sit at a blank screen on startup if you have the cf7+ cartridge installed without a proper disk image for it. This will be fixed in the next release (I only just discovered this during testing since I normally have a test image in place). If this does happen, you should still be able to exit by hitting escape, so this doesn't sound like the issue you're seeing.

More interesting problems I haven't really looked at yet:

tjcarter@miho:~$ ti99sim-sdl -q

[ window with a black screen, must kill -9 ]

tjcarter@miho:/opt/ti99sim$ ti99sim-sdl

[ WORKS! beeps sound like they're going through a house fan ]

tjcarter@miho:/opt/ti99sim$ tree

├── bin

│ ├── convert-ctg

│ ├── decode

│ ├── disk

│ ├── dumpcpu

│ ├── dumpgrom

│ ├── dumpspch

│ ├── list

│ ├── mkspch

│ ├── say

│ ├── ti99sim-console

│ └── ti99sim-sdl

├── cartridges

├── disks

└── roms

├── spchrom.bin

├── spchrom.dat

├── TI-994A.ctg

└── TI-994A.dat

4 directories, 15 files

tjcarter@miho:~/Source/ti99sim/ti99sim-0.13.0$ ti99sim-sdl -q

[ works, no sound as expected ]

tjcarter@miho:~/Source/ti99sim/ti99sim-0.13.0$ ti99sim-sdl

[ no sound, locks up on quit ]

tjcarter@miho:~/Source/ti99sim/ti99sim-0.13.0$ tree

├── convert-ctg

├── decode

├── disk

├── doc

│ ├── CHANGES.html

│ ├── COPYING

│ ├── CREDITS.html

│ ├── main.css

│ └── README.html

├── dumpcpu

├── dumpgrom

├── dumpspch

├── include

│ ├── bitmap.hpp

│ ├── bitstream.hpp

│ ├── cartridge.hpp

│ ├── cBaseObject.hpp

│ ├── cf7+.hpp

│ ├── common.hpp

│ ├── compress.hpp

│ ├── decode-lzw.hpp

│ ├── device.hpp

│ ├── disk-image.hpp

│ ├── disk-media.hpp

│ ├── disk-sector.hpp

│ ├── disk-serializer-anadisk.hpp

│ ├── disk-serializer-cf7+.hpp

│ ├── disk-serializer-hfe.hpp

│ ├── disk-serializer.hpp

│ ├── disk-serializer-pc99.hpp

│ ├── disk-serializer-v9t9.hpp

│ ├── disk-track.hpp

│ ├── disk-util.hpp

│ ├── encode-lzw.hpp

│ ├── fileio.hpp

│ ├── file-system-arc.hpp

│ ├── file-system-disk.hpp

│ ├── file-system.hpp

│ ├── file-system-pseudo.hpp

│ ├── iBaseObject.hpp

│ ├── icartridge.hpp

│ ├── icomputer.hpp

│ ├── idevice.hpp

│ ├── idisk-sector.hpp

│ ├── idisk-serializer.hpp

│ ├── idisk-track.hpp

│ ├── ipic.hpp

│ ├── isector.hpp

│ ├── istateobject.hpp

│ ├── itms5220.hpp

│ ├── itms9900.hpp

│ ├── itms9901.hpp

│ ├── itms9918a.hpp

│ ├── itms9919.hpp

│ ├── logger.hpp

│ ├── opcodes.hpp

│ ├── option.hpp

│ ├── platform.hpp

│ ├── screenio.hpp

│ ├── stateobject.hpp

│ ├── support.hpp

│ ├── ti994a-console.hpp

│ ├── ti994a.hpp

│ ├── ti994a-sdl.hpp

│ ├── ti-disk.hpp

│ ├── tms5220.hpp

│ ├── tms9900.hpp

│ ├── tms9901.hpp

│ ├── tms9918a-console.hpp

│ ├── tms9918a.hpp

│ ├── tms9918a-sdl.hpp

│ ├── tms9919.hpp

│ └── tms9919-sdl.hpp

├── list

├── Makefile

├── Makefile.linux

├── Makefile.macosx

├── Makefile.win32

├── mkspch

├── Release

├── roms

│ ├── cf7a+.bin

│ ├── cf7+.dat

│ ├── Gram Kracker.dat

│ ├── Mini-Memory.dat

│ ├── spchrom.dat

│ ├── TI-994A.dat

│ └── tiworkshop379.dat

├── rules.mak

├── say

├── scripts

│ ├── dsk2cf7

│ └── dsk2dsk

├── src

│ ├── console

│ │ ├── gpl.cpp

│ │ ├── Makefile

│ │ ├── Release

│ │ │ ├── gpl.dep

│ │ │ ├── gpl.o

│ │ │ ├── screenio.dep

│ │ │ ├── screenio.o

│ │ │ ├── ti994a-console.dep

│ │ │ ├── ti994a-console.o

│ │ │ ├── ti99sim-console

│ │ │ ├── ti-main.dep

│ │ │ ├── ti-main.o

│ │ │ ├── tms9918a-console.dep

│ │ │ └── tms9918a-console.o

│ │ ├── screenio.cpp

│ │ ├── ti994a-console.cpp

│ │ ├── ti-main.cpp

│ │ └── tms9918a-console.cpp

│ ├── core

│ │ ├── bitstream.cpp

│ │ ├── cartridge.cpp

│ │ ├── cBaseObject.cpp

│ │ ├── cf7+.cpp

│ │ ├── compress.cpp

│ │ ├── decode-fm.cpp

│ │ ├── decode-lzw.cpp

│ │ ├── decode-mfm.cpp

│ │ ├── device.cpp

│ │ ├── disassemble.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-image.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-media.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-sector.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-serializer-anadisk.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-serializer-cf7+.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-serializer.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-serializer-hfe.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-serializer-pc99.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-serializer-v9t9.cpp

│ │ ├── disk-track.cpp

│ │ ├── encode-lzw.cpp

│ │ ├── fileio.cpp

│ │ ├── file-system-arc.cpp

│ │ ├── file-system.cpp

│ │ ├── file-system-disk.cpp

│ │ ├── file-system-pseudo.cpp

│ │ ├── Makefile

│ │ ├── opcodes.cpp

│ │ ├── option.cpp

│ │ ├── Release

│ │ │ ├── bitstream.dep

│ │ │ ├── bitstream.o

│ │ │ ├── cartridge.dep

│ │ │ ├── cartridge.o

│ │ │ ├── cBaseObject.dep

│ │ │ ├── cBaseObject.o

│ │ │ ├── cf7+.dep

│ │ │ ├── cf7+.o

│ │ │ ├── compress.dep

│ │ │ ├── compress.o

│ │ │ ├── decode-fm.dep

│ │ │ ├── decode-fm.o

│ │ │ ├── decode-lzw.dep

│ │ │ ├── decode-lzw.o

│ │ │ ├── decode-lzw.dep

│ │ │ ├── decode-lzw.o

│ │ │ ├── decode-mfm.dep

│ │ │ ├── decode-mfm.o

│ │ │ ├── device.dep

│ │ │ ├── device.o

│ │ │ ├── disassemble.dep

│ │ │ ├── disassemble.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-image.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-image.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-media.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-media.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-sector.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-sector.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-anadisk.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-anadisk.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-cf7+.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-cf7+.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-hfe.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-hfe.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-pc99.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-pc99.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-v9t9.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-serializer-v9t9.o

│ │ │ ├── disk-track.dep

│ │ │ ├── disk-track.o

│ │ │ ├── encode-lzw.dep

│ │ │ ├── encode-lzw.o

│ │ │ ├── fileio.dep

│ │ │ ├── fileio.o

│ │ │ ├── file-system-arc.dep

│ │ │ ├── file-system-arc.o

│ │ │ ├── file-system.dep

│ │ │ ├── file-system-disk.dep

│ │ │ ├── file-system-disk.o

│ │ │ ├── file-system.o

│ │ │ ├── file-system-pseudo.dep

│ │ │ ├── file-system-pseudo.o

│ │ │ ├── opcodes.dep

│ │ │ ├── opcodes.o

│ │ │ ├── option.dep

│ │ │ ├── option.o

│ │ │ ├── stateobject.dep

│ │ │ ├── stateobject.o

│ │ │ ├── support.dep

│ │ │ ├── support.o

│ │ │ ├── ti994a.dep

│ │ │ ├── ti994a.o

│ │ │ ├── ti-core.a

│ │ │ ├── ti-disk.dep

│ │ │ ├── ti-disk.o

│ │ │ ├── tms5220.dep

│ │ │ ├── tms5220.o

│ │ │ ├── tms9900.dep

│ │ │ ├── tms9900.o

│ │ │ ├── tms9901.dep

│ │ │ ├── tms9901.o

│ │ │ ├── tms9918a.dep

│ │ │ ├── tms9918a.o

│ │ │ ├── tms9919.dep

│ │ │ └── tms9919.o

│ │ ├── stateobject.cpp

│ │ ├── support.cpp

│ │ ├── ti994a.cpp

│ │ ├── ti-disk.cpp

│ │ ├── tms5220.cpp

│ │ ├── tms9900.cpp

│ │ ├── tms9901.cpp

│ │ ├── tms9918a.cpp

│ │ └── tms9919.cpp

│ ├── Makefile

│ ├── sdl

│ │ ├── bitmap.cpp

│ │ ├── main.cpp

│ │ ├── Makefile

│ │ ├── Release

│ │ │ ├── bitmap.dep

│ │ │ ├── bitmap.o

│ │ │ ├── main.dep

│ │ │ ├── main.o

│ │ │ ├── ti994a-sdl.dep

│ │ │ ├── ti994a-sdl.o

│ │ │ ├── ti99sim-sdl

│ │ │ ├── tms9918a-sdl.dep

│ │ │ ├── tms9918a-sdl.o

│ │ │ ├── tms9919-sdl.dep

│ │ │ └── tms9919-sdl.o

│ │ ├── ti994a-sdl.cpp

│ │ ├── tms9918a-sdl.cpp

│ │ └── tms9919-sdl.cpp

│ └── util

│ ├── convert.cpp

│ ├── decode.cpp

│ ├── disk.cpp

│ ├── dumpcpu.cpp

│ ├── dumpgrom.cpp

│ ├── dumpspch.cpp

│ ├── list.cpp

│ ├── Makefile

│ ├── mkspch.cpp

│ ├── Release

│ │ ├── convert-ctg

│ │ ├── convert.dep

│ │ ├── convert.o

│ │ ├── decode

│ │ ├── decode.dep

│ │ ├── decode.o

│ │ ├── disk

│ │ ├── disk.dep

│ │ ├── disk.o

│ │ ├── dumpcpu

│ │ ├── dumpcpu.dep

│ │ ├── dumpcpu.o

│ │ ├── dumpgrom

│ │ ├── dumpgrom.dep

│ │ ├── dumpgrom.o

│ │ ├── dumpspch

│ │ ├── dumpspch.dep

│ │ ├── dumpspch.o

│ │ ├── list

│ │ ├── list.dep

│ │ ├── list.o

│ │ ├── mkspch

│ │ ├── mkspch.dep

│ │ ├── mkspch.o

│ │ ├── say

│ │ ├── say.dep

│ │ └── say.o

│ └── say.cpp

├── ti99sim-console

└── ti99sim-sdl

14 directories, 275 files

Now I'm confused. :) Something is being directory-dependent, but what? Hmm.

We'll get together soon Joseph - I just wish you lived a bit closer! What do you think about heading out West? I live a couple miles north of the end of the MAX line. We could spend a Saturday afternoon hacking away at all of these things, and making cables/mods and all that jazz. I have a well-equipped bench with a soldering station. I have access to SMT tools as well.

I think I have a spare 5v supply for that nanoPEB if you don't have one. Why the designer didn't tap the 5 volts available RIGHT THERE ON THE SIDE PORT is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it was to keep people from depriving it of power during writes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

I think I have a spare 5v supply for that nanoPEB if you don't have one. Why the designer didn't tap the 5 volts available RIGHT THERE ON THE SIDE PORT is a bit of a mystery.

The TI console spec says that current draw from the side port is limited to 50mA. Enough for the speech synth, but possibly not for the nanoPEB?

• Like 1

We'll get together soon Joseph - I just wish you lived a bit closer! What do you think about heading out West? I live a couple miles north of the end of the MAX line. We could spend a Saturday afternoon hacking away at all of these things, and making cables/mods and all that jazz. I have a well-equipped bench with a soldering station. I have access to SMT tools as well.

I think I have a spare 5v supply for that nanoPEB if you don't have one. Why the designer didn't tap the 5 volts available RIGHT THERE ON THE SIDE PORT is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it was to keep people from depriving it of power during writes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can certainly head on out to Hillsboro. It'll be a little tight on the MAX because of the repairs, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem once I get as far as Beaverton TC, and I could ride the 58/56 out that far.

The TI console spec says that current draw from the side port is limited to 50mA. Enough for the speech synth, but possibly not for the nanoPEB?

As the nanoPEB works without the CF-IDE adapter, I'd say that the 50mA is enough to power the nanoPEB itself, but not that and a CF adapter.