IGNORED

Is an atari 7800 worth buying for $65?

The Atari Noob1

I don't know much about the atari 7800. My retro game store is selling them for $65 with all cables, a game and a controller that all work. Should I pick it up? And, what are the best games? I already have a bunch of atari 2600 games, and I have NOTHING atari 7800 related. I am only 11, and I am very new to the forums. Oh, and one more thing. "Have you played atari today"?

• Like 2

Only if you plan on getting 7800 games then get one . Tons of great homebrews for the 7800 that can be bought from the Atariage store .

The game library I am not that familiar with. What are the best games? Please, no games more expensive than $20. And I am buying a European controller because my retro game store sells them with American controllers.

The game library I am not that familiar with. What are the best games? Please, no games more expensive than $20. And I am buying a European controller because my retro game store sells them with American controllers.

Look up every game made for the 7800 and go to youtube and look them up . If you think you would like it then buy it .

May I ask where this retro game store is? I live close to the Digital Press store, but anywhere that sells Atari stuff is somewhere I'd like to visit, so long as it's not too far away.

It's digital press! They are hands down the best prices. They seem like they are one of the only retro game stores that are not money obsessed.

Last time I was there, which was last week, they had one.

They have a lot of lose carts and normally have a good collection of homebrews behind a glass case. I purchsed my Harmony cart from them a couple years ago. :)

I'd say get one. And if there's one homebrew I'd recommend above others to supplement your purchase, it's Pacman Collection. Of course you can't get just one as buying homebrew can get quite addictive! :grin:

Ordering online may be a bit difficult though if you are a minor without access to a bank account. Your parents may need to help with that. Do you have a birthday coming up? That always helps.

I find the Disc Replay in my area fair on their prices for 2600 games. Maybe a tad high, but nothing outrageous.

I happened upon a game store in a town I used to live in, so I stopped in. This was the middle of January. He was selling 2600 Empire Strikes Back for $18 or so. I told him this is one of the most common games, to which he said something about the demand caused by the new film.

Oh, he was using an app on his phone to dictate his prices.

I find the Disc Replay in my area fair on their prices for 2600 games. Maybe a tad high, but nothing outrageous.

I happened upon a game store in a town I used to live in, so I stopped in. This was the middle of January. He was selling 2600 Empire Strikes Back for $18 or so. I told him this is one of the most common games, to which he said something about the demand caused by the new film.

Oh, he was using an app on his phone to dictate his prices.

And this app probably used unsold BINs to guage price? Ugg...

For a good profitable retail model, sell at 80% the pricecharting rate and buy back at about 40%. Clean and test the games before putting out. You'll make double your money minus expenses on trade ins and happy customers = more sales and more trade ins. Better yet have systems out so customers can test the games themselves.

Nobody listens to be though as I don't own my own business so I can't create the perfect retro shop.. Most trade in at 10-20% and sell at 150% :sad:

• Like 1

JMO, I would avoid the Euro pad unless it's cheaper than this thing:

http://www.edladdin.com/Seagull-78-Controller-Adapter-ec-2-001.htm

...which lets you use any Sega Genesis controller, which are a dime a dozen, on the 7800 with two buttons. And keep in mind you can use a Sega Genesis pad plugged right into the 7800, but that will only work for one button games. That might be just fine for a while!

So far as good cheap games, I'd say Joust, Galaga, and Choplifter are my favorite "commons".

• Like 2