IGNORED

What made you choose to collect for certain systems over others?

Same here. I've repurchased some systems I had BITD and regretted it. Even systems I played a lot, with games I enjoyed a lot. I sort of understand why I don't care for some systems, such as the ones stuck between the 2d era and 3d era, where the choppy 3d is too distracting to me these days. But even so, there are some objectively really good systems like the Sega that just don't do it for me any more, despite having a number of titles that I still remember fondly. For some reason, actually playing those games doesn't get me going.

Yep, I get that.

The other thing for me, is that there is such amazing support for these machines, which just wasn't around BITD(No internet, what could you do?). For example, I have been modding my Atari ST to add the likes of IDE and 1.44MB floppy support, and fixing up the video output on my 65XE, which is now pin sharp. There isn't so much that you can do with the likes of the MegaDrive (Genesis), so I guess the ability to tinker with the machines plays a part for me.

Some systems have also fallen into my lap, such as a Spectrum +2 and Atari 2600, which I was given, then others which I've just been lucky to get on eBay, such as an ICL One Per Desk, which is a Sinclair QL in a different coat.

And no matter what people say, emulators (I could totally replicate my collection with emulators) are just not the same as the real thing.

Also, historical interest plays a part, because there was the point where we transitioned from the original games consoles, to home computers, and where computers were bringing something new, such as custom chipsets, like in the Atari 400/800/XL/XE series, and similarly later on in the Amigas.

I don't really play a lot of retro games, as I don't really have the time right now, so I guess I'm mostly putting stuff aside for my retirement, so really for me I guess the key factor is "Is it interesting?"

• Like 3