IGNORED

Is anyone else concerned about copies?

Atari8bitCarts

I mean, what he is doing is perfectly legal, isn't it? All the information is there for those who are able to read. So there is no way to stop that kind of people anyway.

Except for the mental awareness of potential customers!

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I mean, what he is doing is perfectly legal, isn't it? All the information is there for those who are able to read. So there is no way to stop that kind of people anyway.

Except for the mental awareness of potential customers!

No, but you can warn people that his prices are exceptionally high for reproductions, and that they are indeed reproductions and not originals. Reproductions like this are generally against eBay's rules, as well. Probably why he's not using the word "reproduction".

• Like 1

Jeez, for $995, you think the shipping would be free! :P

Perhaps AA should start a Store on Ebay (Forgive me if this isn't already the case, I haven't looked) so the legit AA store carts come up in the searches. This would at least help steer buyers to this site and get better prices on legit copies...

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 4

Obviously he is looking for stupid people with too much money in their hands, but IMO that's OK. He is not hiding anything.

Before you pay $140 you should be able to read a few lines of text. If not, is not the fault of the seller.

wow, it is the fault of the seller.

I thought he was the one making these?

Whomever did made them to look like the original with no distinguishable markings, therefore to deceive.

And if you watch the evolution of the postings...they go from Replica to novelty, not in the title, but a small footnote...What the hell does novelty mean! That is meant to purposely deceive.

Then the purchaser will someday sell as original to some poor shmuck.

I'm totally against exact copies. And if they are created, they need to be marked as such.

Perhaps AA should start a Store on Ebay (Forgive me if this isn't already the case, I haven't looked) so the legit AA store carts come up in the searches. This would at least help steer buyers to this site and get better prices on legit copies...

I do plan on selling on eBay again.

..Al

• Like 1

wow, it is the fault of the seller.

I thought he was the one making these?

Whomever did made them to look like the original with no distinguishable markings, therefore to deceive.

And if you watch the evolution of the postings...they go from Replica to novelty, not in the title, but a small footnote...What the hell does novelty mean! That is meant to purposely deceive.

Then the purchaser will someday sell as original to some poor shmuck.

I'm totally against exact copies. And if they are created, they need to be marked as such.

notice how their "collection" are all copies....

Edited by Atari8bitCarts

I do plan on selling on eBay again.

..Al

You could put (Genuine Authentic AtariAge) in the title. And perhaps, for a tiny extra cost, include a laser'd holographic sticker. It could be as simple as the AA AtariAge logo.

My official Nikon camera batteries have these, my 3rd party batteries do not.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

First off, this seller needs to be tied behind a horse and dragged through the desert naked, then burned at the stake, castrated, drowned and then given a papercut between his fingers. (Notice the mean streak I have, saving the worst punishment for last.) :twisted: . Since none of that is really an option in today's society, I'm not sure there's much that can be done. Trying to get eBay to give up their share of the profits from this guy's sales, well, it's just not going to happen. The only thing to do is try and educate the buyers, which is also going to be nearly impossible. Most of the people who shop on eBay have no clue as to what things are really worth. They either can't or won't do any research. I know plenty of people like this. Even with the magic of the internet at their fingertips, there are still people who just can't "do" anything. I try my best to do my research before I buy or sell anything. Research is what brought me to AtariAge to begin with. For a buyer to blindly go shopping for "vintage" or "rare" items is just plain stupid, yet they do it all the time. There's no way to help people like that. I don't like to see people get cheated, but sayings for people like that have been around for years, "A fool and his money are soon parted", and "There's one born every minute." There are others, but you get what I'm saying. I feel bad for the buyers, but I can't force them to educate themselves before making a purchase. :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just getting in to homebrew development. I guess I have a different view on copyright and property. When I make games, I'm going to release not just the binaries but the source code as well. Both will be covered by a "copyleft" licence, which means if anyone ever distributes my games, they will also have to distribute the source code.

Personally I think if you're making a product, you should give it away for free, but I don't have an issue with charging money for a commodity, so long as you also distribute it with its source code. Its then up to that person who bought the commodity to distribute it at whatever price they want.

I think if you've licenced your games under traditional copyright, you should have your property respected, but I think you shouldn't have property in your games at all. The concept of copyright is what this seller is hiding behind in order to produce repros and pass them off as originals.

If you release your games under a copyleft licence, like the GPL or a permissive licence, like the BSD licence, you'd have a way of suing this morally bankrupt seller because he would be claiming private property contradictory to a free software copyleft licence.

Just on the topic of "killer collections", I personally think the value in software (games) is in their function and not their status as objects with rarity. Rarity is just mystical nonsense. Marx called it commodity fetishism. I personally see "counterfeits" and repros as the same as "originals" because they have the exact same ROM data and same function. Repros might even be superior to originals because they may last longer.

But by all means, no one should be allowed to stop you from collecting rare objects, as long as you're not harming anyone.