IGNORED

game like zelda?

eegad

@MrFish

More on the Zelda black screen...

My problem appears to be that the copy I've got truncates the load early. I've tried 4 computers and 4 different methods of loading (MyDos, SDX, and two game loaders). In every case, it dies at sector $5A. I downloaded it from the link shown, then downloaded it again with the same results. How about sending me a copy that works good at your place.

The copy that I downloaded has a 320 sector XEX. Seems rather large for a demo. (?)

Thanks,

Larry

The copy being pointed to here is the same one I'm using. It is 320 sectors, because the map/world size is very big.

Like I said, I'm not using any DOS to load it. I'm loading it directly from an SIO2PC. As to what loader might accommodate it, your guess is as good as mine. Ask Playsoft and maybe he can help you out.

Here's a copy I got out of the Holmes archive. It's different than the one on Atarimania, in that the directory contents are hidden -- and maybe other differences too. I haven't had any problems using it yet, having played through about 4 levels, so maybe it's a better cracked version. I've taken some time and improved the font on this version too. Took a longggg time, as this thing has about thirty character sets that the text is duplicated across. Having put this much work into it already, I may do some more edits to the graphics in the future.

Fury.zip

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Here's a copy I got out of the Holmes archive. It's different than the one on Atarimania, in that the directory contents are hidden -- and maybe other differences too. I haven't had any problems using it yet, having played through about 4 levels, so maybe it's a better cracked version. I've taken some time and improved the font on this version too. Took a longggg time, as this thing has about thirty character sets that the text is duplicated across. Having put this much work into it already, I may do some more edits to the graphics in the future.

attachicon.gifFury.zip

It's beatable. I was able to reach the final boss and destroy him.

I disabled P/M collisions (only) in Altirra. You can't kill any P/M enemies, but they can't hurt you either, and you don't "need" to kill them.

All "End Bosses" -- and many other enemies -- are playfield graphics, and they can't kill you with their missile shots. You CAN die by touching playfield enemies though.

Edited by MrFish

Actually, I was having problems with a key in my inventory that kept disappearing once I approached the door so I couldn't go any further. The other version hopefully fixes that!

I didn't have any problems related to the keys when I played through the game.

but unlike the Sprite cheat it allows you to shoot stuff :)

You CAN still shoot playfield enemies by disabling P/M collisions in Altirra -- otherwise I wouldn't have been able to complete the game. It's only P/M drawn enemies that can't be shot.

attachicon.gifFury.zip

Could you please tell us more technical infos about this really good game?

It seems very fast to be Basic only, especially multicolor sprites movement.

Could you please tell us more technical infos about this really good game?

It seems very fast to be Basic only, especially multicolor sprites movement.

It's hard to call it BASIC only. In fact most commercially available BASIC games could hardly be called BASIC only. I see a lot of USR calls to machine language, so that's a big part of it. BASIC ends up like being more of a manager of the USR routines being called. The multi-colored sprites are formed with characters and animated by flipping the character set pointer. That's why so many are needed (I think around 30). None of the multi-colored sprites move around horizontally/vertically as you may note, but it is nice to see large sprites animate like that. The PM enemies are all single color, and also very small, which helps to speed processing up. And then of course there is no screen scrolling going on. Still, somewhat impressive with all the action that can be going on at the same time.

Edited by MrFish

BTW, you can use the "m" key to disable music during gameplay. You'll still hear sound effects. Annoyingly the sound will return when you go into one of the shops, but will stop once you leave. You can disable it in the current shop you're in by hitting "m" again.

Many of my later Turbo Basic Games became dependent upon USR calls for things like player/missile graphics, sound effects, and screen manipulation. I am not sure how many people used this, in COMPUTE! magazine, they had a set of routines called "PM TOOL KIT" that made writing games with player/missile graphics much easier. I later modified what they did after I learned some ML to do things like 4 missiles to make the 5th player, or save where the player was written and just write 0s there when it comes time to move it.

During the earlier stages developing Tempest Xtreme, I was testing routines from within TurboBasic, routines were written from MAC/65 before porting everything in MADS. I had to use MADS because the person I was working with wanted to use RMT, and because of all the long labeling, it was hard to get that thing to incorporate that thing to be assembled with MAC/65.

There are many things I hope to do with future RPG/Adventure games like larger maps, more monsters, more puzzles to solve, etc. I thought about using my engine to make a close clone of "Legend of Zelda" but passed up on it over concerns about copyright infringement. Nintendo is an active and powerful corporation that is known to go after people. I made Secretum Labyrinth to be original. I might had barrow a few elements from other games like Zelda, like pushing a block to open hidden passages. I know you cannot be sued over things like that because its not using a name of a character or place. I even had the block behave differently by snapping back to its original place right away so no one can say "I stole that from Zelda." I believe many games used the concept of pushing something to open hidden passages.

KJMANN12 wanted me to have it with an over world with steps leading to dungeons in an under world. That obviously be close to Zelda and I did not want to start my game series off by replicating a bunch of stuff from other games. I may do something like that in sequels of Secretum Labyrinth. I made it original by keeping everything in one big dungeon. There are few things paying homage to the 2600 Adventure like you find dragons that are either Green, Yellow, or Red. But they taking many hits to kill and they don't "Eat" your square.

Edited by peteym5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's a start. You might want to answer questions like...

1. Is each room the same size

2. Does each room have the same amount of doors

3. Are their different types of rooms. What is the world settting?

4. Besides monsters, what else will exist in these rooms?

5. Who is the player? What is he equipped with? Can he carry more than one item? Does he have health? Upgrades?

6. Does the game have a goal or goals?

7. Does the character have a backstory

8. How many mosters are their? Are their different types and how do they differ (color, damage, ability).

I could go on all day but this is where a design doc really comes in handy. A technically able game doesn't always mean a good game. Gameplay is the most important thing to do before writing a single line of code. There are games that didn't follow this model but I think it can save a lot of coding later on since you already would have a good idea of the end product.

I was not sure you or anybody else has interests in seeing another role playing adventure game. I am working on other game projects right now and plan to revisit the adventure game scene in the future. I tried not to make Secretum Labyrinth too close to Zelda or even the 2600 Adventure so there would not be any issues over copyright infringement. Nintendo is a very big entity out there. I prefer putting something together more original that I can call my own.

I was not sure what you meant by rooms the same size? Always take up the same amount of memory or some rooms will take up part of a screen, the whole screen, or bigger and need to scroll around.

During development of Adventure/RPG and Secretum Labyrinth, I was not sure what medium a game will be distributed on, so I have all the assembler flags for Executable Files and different cartridge types like Williams, XE Super Carts, Atari Max, and SIC!. I never finished all the programming for the SIC! cartridge. KJMANN12 jumped in and told me those were unreliable.

I was hoping to have KJMANN12 onboard as part of the design team, but discovered he had lack of interest. So I ended up porting some music myself. I am open to bringing others onboard for a future game, but they have to agree to some of our terms about non-disclosure and distribution. It will be copyrighted material and protects all parties involved. Makes sure everyone that helped with the game their share.

Some of the engine upgrades I am looking at is having more rooms, monsters, items, and needing to do more things besides going to each room and killing monsters. I keep it flexible and generalized so multiple games can be game with common subroutines.

Edited by peteym5

During the earlier stages developing Tempest Xtreme, I was testing routines from within TurboBasic, routines were written from MAC/65 before porting everything in MADS. I had to use MADS because the person I was working with wanted to use RMT, and because of all the long labeling, it was hard to get that thing to incorporate that thing to be assembled with MAC/65.

I was wondering about this - has anyone moved RMT across to MAC/65?

I was wondering about this - has anyone moved RMT across to MAC/65?

When I was starting Tempest Xtreme, I started to try to convert everything in the RMT player to 6 character labeling, but that would had been tons of work. Decided it was easier to convert what I started in MAC/65 over to MADS and do the remaining work on the PC. Maybe someone can port RMT to be assembled in MAC/65 on real hardware, I would like to see it. At the time, RMT was being updated every couple of months, if you port an entire old version, you will need to figure out what was modified for you MAC/65 port.

You can also assemble it as a binary and use INS to load it when MAC/65 assembles You will just need to just convert RMT external labels and memory locations.

Getting back to Games like Zelda. A question is what people want to see? A clone that is very close or an Adventure/Role Playing Game with similarities. When designing Secretum Labyrinth, I did not want to do more ports myself, because I feel I was taking too many risks already with prior tiles. I wanted to do something more original. I have another Adventure RPG in the planning stage right now, but I am certainly not going to make Zelda because Nintendo is an active and very powerful company right now.

• Like 1

I am surprised Nintendo did not sue Sega over this SMS "Golden Axe Warrior". Might be because there were not as many Sega Master Systems vs NES.

Beyond Oasis is different, enough where I cannot say it is a rip.

http://arcadesushi.com/best-zelda-clones/

How much of a battle would I have to do with AtariAge Members if I made the next Secretum Labyrinth much closer to a Zelda game.

As the programmer you are in complete control of what you want to do - within any game project.

Nintendo doesn't own the Adventure Action RPG game format.

Just look at Soul Blazer on the SNES - it is Zelda like, Zelda influenced and special in it's own way.

Also Turrican was always a simplified clone of Metroid, so you can get away with being influenced by a

game and still mirror parts of it, while doing your own variant on it.

You're not going to satisfy everyone with what you do - so it's always better to do something for

yourself, that you enjoy playing.

A Zelda like game is a whole lot of work - and it was done by a very experienced professional team as

such - and even an A8 version as such is still enough of a complex project to undertake.

Harvey

• Like 1

With Harvey here, the choice is yours, just look at Oceanhorn, its Zelda down to a tee but its still out there because the gameplay ethics of Zelda cannot be copyrighted, as long as you don't use any trademarked items, its an open word game with dungeons etc ie zero copy right.

Personally Petey, I'd say modify to your hearts content, a Zelda inspired game would go down a treat here and as Harvey says, just look at the titles spread across the Snes etc, these are not clones, they are cleverly created homages to the quality that is Zelda or Metroid.

Pete,

I think you are being a bit paranoid on the Zelda thing. Dont create any graphic elements or storyline that is the same as Zelda and you're fine. I think you should look at Adventure II on the 5200. A nice rich and detailed landscape should be a minimum requirement for your next RPG. Secret Labyrinth was essentially the same square room across the board - you need a more varied terrain landscape IMHO.

I agree most are not clones of Zelda. I made a point about graphics similarities with "Gold Axe Warrior" being much closer to NES Zelda to the point it being something Nintendo could had perused legal action . With Secretum Labyrinth 1 & 2 I avoided the doing the overworld and multiple dungeon thing. I also left out doing that screen by screen scrolling thing. We know it can be done on the Atari.

Another game I like is called "Dark Hearth of Uukrul" on Apple II and IBM PC (DOS).

I actually favor adding more "Dungeon and Dragons" elements into the next generation of my Adventure RPG engine. I won't go overboard with character attributes that probably have little effect on game play like Charisma or Constitution. I use a hit point, experience point, and skill level system.

Edited by peteym5

• 1 year later...