IGNORED

MicroSolutions "BackPack" cdrom

I just picked up this Backpack cd-rom cheap for my laptop PC, it's an external cdrom that plugs in through the parallel port. I still need to get a proper powerpack for it, and a cable, so I haven't used it yet, but I was wondering if this thing would work on an ST too? Does anyone know of any cd-rom drivers for the ST that are made for cdroms that plug in through the parallel printer port? It sure would be cool to be able to have a cd-rom for my ST too...

I just picked up this Backpack cd-rom cheap for my laptop PC, it's an external cdrom that plugs in through the parallel port. I still need to get a proper powerpack for it, and a cable, so I haven't used it yet, but I was wondering if this thing would work on an ST too? Does anyone know of any cd-rom drivers for the ST that are made for cdroms that plug in through the parallel printer port? It sure would be cool to be able to have a cd-rom for my ST too...

There is trouble that ST and PC parallel port differ a lot. The ST port works with both directions whlie PC has 4 additional signals which are used for 4 bit communication from device to computer. Newer PC has printer ports which alow 8 bit communication. I do not know if there is some packet which allow to use CD-ROM for PC parallel port on ST.

There is trouble that ST and PC parallel port differ a lot. The ST port works with both directions whlie PC has 4 additional signals which are used for 4 bit communication from device to computer. Newer PC has printer ports which alow 8 bit communication. I do not know if there is some packet which allow to use CD-ROM for PC parallel port on ST.

I wouldn't exactly call my laptop PC "newer" it's old enough that it's only a pentium 1 running at 200mhz, with HD and a 3.5" floppy, which is why I need the external cd-rom, so do you think the parallel port on such an old PC would still be all that different from the ST's? I do know the backpack cd-rom will work on it however, because I bought it used, and it already had the backpack driver built into it; whenever I boot up, windows/msdos looks for the backpack and comes back with a "backpack not found" and asks me to make sure it's plugged in and turned on, or to press [esc] to continue without it. I left it set up this way just in case I came across one of these MicroSolutions "backpack" cdroms, which I have! I guess my question is, were there ever any cdrom solutions released for the ST that make use of the parallel port. since the ST's are capable of using harddrives, floppies and cdroms from PC's, I'd probably only need a standard parallel port cdrom driver to use the backpack...

If you want CD-ROM in ST, you can contact with Grzegorz Pancherz (Paskud). His relased a IDE interfeace to connect via cartridge port in any ST one HD and one CD-ROM. His page you can find at:http://www.rsi.pl/paskud/

While that's very interesting Sikor, I'm not looking for a HD/cdrom solution for the ST right now. I'm just wondering if I can use what I have as a solution. I will keep that in mind though, should I not be able to get my backpack to work with my ST.

There are no known CD-ROM drivers for the Atari ST that work with the parallel port. Only IDE and SCSI drives are supported, with one or two offshoots that plugged into the cartridge port. The cartridge port CD-ROMs were never popular though as they only worked with the CD-ROM that was attached to the cartridge adapter.

thnaks. I thought I'd heard/read somewhere that some cd-roms had been attached through the parallel port...guess I'm mistaken. :sad: But, I'm having some trouble just getting this thing to work with my laptop right now anyway...it already had the drivers in it, so the previous owner obviously used a backpack for it too, but I can't get the PC to recognize it...I've done a trouble shooting list that's at MicorSolutions' homepage, with no success so far, but I have downloaded some updated drivers to try out... :ponder:

So, I see only one way for this while: use PARCP or Ghost Link programs. ParPC connecting any ST/TT/Falcon vvia printer port (is faster than Ghost Link, but I newer use it), Ghost Link use standard null modem cable and You can see any PC disk (including floppy and CD) as GEM Partition on your ST.

Archived