IGNORED

Ebay without paypal

So ebay doesn't work at all without a paypal account? I guess the only other option is to find a sell that will accept a money order in the mail? I don't think anyone does that anymore.

That's against eBay policies (you and/or the seller can get in trouble for it), so you may want to avoid eBay entirely if you don't want to use PayPal.

The reason that eBay requires PayPal for all purchases is that eBay owned PayPal until mid 2015. The PayPal-only option probably won't last forever now that PayPal is an independent company, but for the near future it's unlikely to change.

You realize there are many other companies that do terrible things far worse then PayPal, right?

Really, EVERY company has done something like this.

I'd say get over it and use PayPal without feeling guilty about it.

(Also....I'm guessing based on what the OP said he lives in Charlotte -- there HAVE to be retro stores all over the place in a city like that! And what about Craigslist?)

• Like 2

That's against eBay policies (you and/or the seller can get in trouble for it), so you may want to avoid eBay entirely if you don't want to use PayPal.

The reason that eBay requires PayPal for all purchases is that eBay owned PayPal until mid 2015. The PayPal-only option probably won't last forever now that PayPal is an independent company, but for the near future it's unlikely to change.

This is incorrect I believe. eBay required that you offer Paypal as a payment method in all auctions, not that it HAD to be the only option by which you could pay.

PayPal is the only option as a seller through ebay. You can take a Money order/check as a selller, but the buyer has to prove that they even paid if there is some sort of a problem with the transaction.

actually ebay now allows sellers to use their own checkout system, I ran into this when the sellers own system was down and they did not accept paypal without going thru their system..emailed the seller (2.60 item) and they did not reply,instead opened an non paying bidder on me, I called ebay and this was how I found out as I too thought paypal was required..

I need to look into this "own credit card" thing. I found out last year over an argument with pp that ebay forced us to use pp and he said that's not true and showed me a list of crap we could use instead.

The fees would not be the reason to NOT use pp. Getting away from all the screw seller in the ass policies is why I would want to accept different payment methods. Even if the fees were slightly higher it would be worth it.

My son wants an SNES or some games for his 3 in 1 SNES emulator. We are looking on ebay, but I don't want to use paypal. I have seen ebay gift cards. I just want to make sure before I buy one, that I can use that to pay without going through paypal. Can I?

When I didn't have Paypal a few years back, I had the nerve to hit up the sellers on eBay through the PM's and ask if they'd take a money order instead.

You'd be surprised,some sellers still take MO's if you ask.

Funny story about Paypal... I recently bought a new Jaguar power supply on Ebay, and put in my card info, thinking I was just paying with my card. I hadn't bought anything on Ebay in years, so the card info that was on file was out of date. Well, I started getting emails from Paypal, saying that there had been some unusual activity on my account and that I needed to verify my identity or my access would be limited. I ignored it for a while because I didn't even remember setting up a Paypal account and figured it must be a scam. I finally decided one day to go to the Paypal website (without using links in the email) and see if I even had an account. Well, apparently I did have one, because, when I couldn't remember my password, I tried creating a new account and it said I couldn't because there was already an account tied to that email address. I went through the "forgot my password" and it offered to send a temporary password to my phone. However, it was an old phone number to a phone that I haven't had in probably 15 years. So I can't get my password because it has an old phone number, and I can't change my contact info because I can't log in without my password. So I end up having to call them. I explain the situation to the rep, once I get one on the line, and they end up transferring me to someone else. The second rep goes has to go through some questions to verify my ID on the phone. So she starts asking me questions... and they are all about either my ex-wife post divorce or my dad (who has the same name, I'm Jr, he's Sr.). I mean, the first question is when I last registered my watercraft. I don't have a boat, my dad does. Okay, there's a question about what address I lived at with my daughter (how they knew her name, I don't know) and she gives a multiple choice... one of which is my ex-wife's current address. She asks when I bought a Mercury Grand Marquis. I never have, my dad owns one. She asks what year I bought a house at... and gives my dad's address. She asked several other questions, but never one about me. She finally kind of gave up, because I was able to answer most of her questions even though none were about me. So anyway, I have full access to my Paypal account now... maybe I'll use it again before another 15 years have passed.

Wow lot of headache. Yeay sometimes it happens. I have had few issues with them nothing major lately. It is a scam in email so I ignore it and go to the site directly and login and see if I have a frozen account or what. I responded to email once it was a scam. They asked for pin number. Ebay said they never ask for pin number so I had to cancel all my cards. But ebay toolbar (don't know if they still make it) detects scam website they said. Will tell you if its a genuine ebay page or not.