IGNORED

Master System Joystick on 7800/2600

DiscoDr.Bones

Hi,

I have come into possession of an ASCII Stick Alpha for the Sega Master System. I have done some Google/Atari Age searching and have come to a limited understanding that trying to use it on a 7800/2600/800XL might be a bad idea, but I don't understand why and under what circumstances (if any) that it might work. But then I have a buddy who swears that he has played some of his Atari games using a different SMS controller for decades and it hasn't caused him any problems. What happens when one tries to play his or her Atari with a Master System controller?

Thanks for your time,

--SilvaHaloOne

ascii2.jpg

• Like 1

I tested with a new* Master System controller and it didn't work.

These new controllers have a long cord, I'm not aware of any other difference.

* In Brazil, Tectoy was licensed to produce Sega systems. They still make the Master System controller!

If I'm not mistaken, won't the Edladdin Seagull78 adapter make master system controllers work with both buttons on the 7800?

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision

If I'm not mistaken, won't the Edladdin Seagull78 adapter make master system controllers work with both buttons on the 7800?

It's not compatible, but can be made compatible by plugging in a Sega Master System Autofire adapter between the Master System controller and the Seagull78.

• Like 1

I am quite interested in knowing more about this. I have an Epyx 500XJ joystick for the Sega Master System which works perfectly with the Redemption 5200 Sega Genesis adapter, so I assumed that it would also work (as a Sega Genesis controller would) on the 7800 with the Seagull adapter. Can someone tell me more about this Sega Master System Autofire adapter? What is the easiest way to make an SMS controller compatible with the Seagull 7800 adapter? I was just ready to order a Seagull adapter but will hold off until I can get some more info.

I did some more research and digging and found pertinent info in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238049-new-discovery-get-master-sys-ctlrs-to-work-w-edladdin-seagull78-adapter/

Very useful thread, as it contains pictures, so I could make sure I was buying the right thing.

So it looks like the way to go, in addition to the Seagull adapter, is to get the Sega Rapid Fire Unit, which I found on eBay for $20 (plus $5 shipping), new (well, new old stock) and sealed, which seemed pretty reasonable. Went ahead and ordered that, along with the Seagull adapter. Cost a bit more than $53 combined, but not too exorbitant. Seems worth it if I can use my beloved SMS 500XJ controller.

Edited by k8track
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...