IGNORED

Atari Jaguar: Strange Video & Audio Problems

jt505001

Hi, I just bought an Atari Jaguar for $174.99 in the box and for the first 4 days it worked fine, but now I'm getting bizarre problems with the video and audio. At first I thought that it had been the composite cables, however, the same thing happens when I use RF also. This doesn't happen all of the time and when it stops I can play for long periods of time and swap out games, but I was just wondering if there was a simple fix for this.

20160516_164453.mp4

Edited by jt505001

Sorry I don't have a solution for you but I do remember a similar issue with the first Jaguar I bought in 1994. I had to return it twice due to lack of sound on my first unit and bad video and sound on my second. The store clerk told me the first few shipments of the Jaguar they received were faulty. I wounder if there were more faulty units that made it out. The stock RF had lots of issues. After 4 replacements I finally sprung for some A/V cables. Good luck and hope you get it working.

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably return the Jaguar for a replacement.

But do come back and join us at AA when you get a working one!

Someone may have a fix if you give it some time, then again some fixes are easier than others and sometimes things really are unfixable. I personally don't know which is the case in your situation but someone on here may well. Give it a day or two.

Well the fact the system does work for periods of time means there is not a catastrophic failure and that all parts of the systems are essentially operational.

It could just be an intermittent bad joint problem that comes and goes with PCB expansion and pressure when cartridges are inserted but trying to find that would be difficult, the best you can do is put pressure on different areas of the PCB and hope to narrow your search down to an area.

Does it always happen at the point shown in the video as opposed to part way through playing?

If so, as you appear to be getting "Jaguar" in big lettering and I cannon see any sign of the tumbling letters or spinning cube it looks like you are getting Red Screen of Death (RSoD).

As the AV for the RSoD and the cartridge encryption check is the responsibility of the BIOS chip (in conjunction with a good cartridge connection) that would focus my attention to the cartridge port or the BIOS chip and I would be leaning more towards the BIOS chip as that may also account for the system working fine once the game has loaded and is running as I may be wrong but by then I would think the BIOS chip would play little to no part in proceedings.

Edited by Stephen Moss

I don't think that is the Red Screen of Death because I've seen the letters tumble and I've heard the tune that plays. Games play, however, the image is black and white and the screen rolls. I would have posted that part also, but the file size was too big. Thanks for the tip about PCB pressure though!

Edited by jt505001

I've just opened the Jaguar after removing some hot glue that was holding the back two screws in and I took a picture to see of anyone could find anything noticeably wrong with it.

post-46657-0-58273300-1463696180_thumb.jpg

Edited by jt505001