IGNORED

1200XL OS to 400 / 800 OS

Ok, I would like to know if I'd change out my 1200XL OS to the 400 / 800 OS does this make the 1200XL lose compatibly with XL/XE software?

Yep.

Rather than change the OS, install an Ultimate 1MB board or something similar so you can switch OS's at will. The U1MB lets you swap between any of 4 selections, for instance. I have one in an 800XL and use one of the 4 slots for a 400/800 OS for full-compatibility with a handful of software; the other slots are filled with a stock XL OS, a stock XE OS and a hacked "high speed" XL OS.

• Like 1

If you just want a simple way of switching between different OS ROMs, the APE Warp+ 32-in-1 OS works great. Once installed you can switch between 31 different OS ROMs (the 32nd is the menu system itself), by holding down Select at power on at which point you get a menu to choose from.

• Like 1

Yep.

Rather than change the OS, install an Ultimate 1MB board or something similar so you can switch OS's at will. The U1MB lets you swap between any of 4 selections, for instance. I have one in an 800XL and use one of the 4 slots for a 400/800 OS for full-compatibility with a handful of software; the other slots are filled with a stock XL OS, a stock XE OS and a hacked "high speed" XL OS.

Dr Venkman would it be possible for you to upload a zipped file containing all 4 of those OS ROMs? that sounds like the perfect combination .

- Michael

If all you want is to be able to select between 3 or 4 different OS's, without all the extra features of the U1MB or all the extra OS's available in the APE Warp+ 32-in-1, there are a couple of alternatives at bitsofthepast.

If you have original OS chips then the re-imaged Ramrod-XL is a good choice($35+shipping), it allows switching between 3 different OS chips.

If you have the ability to burn an EPROM then the 4-in-1 OS adapter is a lower price alternative($15+shipping), switch between 4 different OS's programmed onto a 27512 EPROM.

PS: All these options require modification of the 1200XL to use a single 16K ROM, rather then the 2-8K ROMs that it comes with. Many 1200XLs already come with the 28-pin sockets needed for this modification.

The bitsofthepast upgrades also require a 600XL/800XL MMU, plus a BASIC IC if internal BASIC is wanted. The 32-in-1 OS for the 1200XL comes with both, and they are built-in to the U1MB.

Edited by BillC

Dr Venkman would it be possible for you to upload a zipped file containing all 4 of those OS ROMs? that sounds like the perfect combination .

- Michael

Well, I've hacked the 400/800 OS with a hex editor so that MEMO PAD says "HELLO VENKMAN" instead ... :)

Well, I've hacked the 400/800 OS with a hex editor so that MEMO PAD says "HELLO VENKMAN" instead ... :)

I can do the same, and have it say "Hello Michael" or if you can simply point me in the direction of a similar 400/800 OS that would be suitable.

Edited by mytekcontrols

• 2 weeks later...