IGNORED

Need Help With Laser, PSX

I have a SCPH-1001. The laser seems to have issues with FMVs, mainly when a game starts. Audio and video skips, and ANY movement, even a gentle tap on the system with your finger, and the system will downright freeze. Sound can sputter in the beginning of the levels as well.

I'm assuming my audiophile PlayStation needs a new laser. It seems like it's easy to replace, but with which laser, I'm not sure.

Also, it seems there are many Chinese laser assemblies out there that are notorious for ... well... essentially having the same issues as my dying stock laser. So I'd like to avoid that if possible.

If someone knows where to shop for the best quality/price, or has a spare one that will work with my unit, I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks

Don't know how good replacements are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Optical-Block-Laser-Lens-KSM-440-BAM-with-Cable-for-PSX-PS-One-1-/261871274033?hash=item3cf8be8831:g:k-MAAOSwcwhVQeWh

Better to just get another used station. I have one I am not using I got from good will in good shape. But not sure what its worth.

What model is the one you're not using, if you don't mind me asking. Any chance, if the laser is compatible with my system, you'd part with it (if it's fully operational)?

Anywho, that replacement laser you linked to is for a ps one (white mini system), which is why it has a grey top, and that's the one that has a terrible reputation. The reason why I'm cautious about this is because I noticed a disassembly video on Youtube, where instead of the black laser assembly being at a 45 degree angle, his was perfectly horizontal, which leads me to believe that there are multiple lasers available for the PS1 grey.

Also, compared to his (believe his was a 9000, didnt seem to have an I/O port), I not only have a copper colored ribbon cable, but I also have a small wire cable with white plug ends that connects from the laser assembly to the system as well.

I just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong one. This is the one I'm currently looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KSM-440ADM-Generic-for-PlayStation-1-Laser-Lens-KSM440ADM-Optical-Pickup-/120968687273?hash=item1c2a4baea9:m:mtzeaDx3bO8Ky417OUmWMjw

Basically my choices are:

1. Repair this system. I love the system otherwise, it's mint in condition and it's the 1001, which is quite a bit nicer than any other model.

2. Return it to the store. The crappy store (Fallout Games in Phoenix) won't simply let me take the laser out of a working unit. He'll either just trade me the system with a scratched up 5000 model or give me my money back (something he didn't even offer, despite the "one year warranty" until I beat him up about it. Why I can't just change out the laser in the store in front of him is beyond me. Either way, he ends up with a broken system, so I don't get it.

3. If I return it, I have to find a new one. I got this with a mint controller and cables for 20 bucks. I'll never find a 1001 for that price online, especially considering I have shipping to worry about.

Personally, I got the system because of the fact it's a 1001 and the condition. So if I have to spend more to fix it, that's fine. I'll spend more than 18 bucks on shipping from other system, so I might as well get the new laser. But again, if I get the wrong one I'm REALLY in the hole. If anyone has direct experience fixing 1001 models, PLEASE let me know which I should buy.

Thanks!

Edited by MotoRacer

The same one you mentioned. Except mine has the red white and yellow jacks in the back. I got it at good will for 10bucks with 1 controller and tiger woods 99. Not sure why I got it, Because I have the mini white one I got (in 2001 I think it was) in California from a gamestop for 40 bucks.

But I don't like the taking it apart idea. If you get another original grey unit then just use that. Why take a part another good unit just to fix yours. If mine or ebay or what ever works then just use that.

That's the model I have, with the RCA jacks in the back. If I could get another one like mine, I wouldn't take it apart. The only reason why I considered doing that, is that it's harder to find that model than the ones without, thus gutting it would likely be necessary.

If you're willing to part with yours, I only need the system. It would have a good home, and I wouldn't need to gut it.

Lemme know.

Well the ones with the av jacks in the back are less common. Not sure if I'd say rare. But maybe. Even ebay has many so its not too rare. But ebay$$ is always over inflated unless you really need something. Or once in a while you get lucky and get a good deal. Or a untested item that the seller does not have time to test or does not have all the parts like ac adapter to test with. And sometimes you get lucky and it works. But still no guarantee and sometimes they lie. I would ebay but the hassle of listing cost and haggling with ebayers about shipping cost or bidds is too much some times.

But mine def works. And I will check again soon just to be sure. So the question is how much is it worth?

2. Return it to the store. The crappy store (Fallout Games in Phoenix) won't simply let me take the laser out of a working unit. He'll either just trade me the system with a scratched up 5000 model or give me my money back (something he didn't even offer, despite the "one year warranty" until I beat him up about it. Why I can't just change out the laser in the store in front of him is beyond me. Either way, he ends up with a broken system, so I don't get it.

So this will sound pretty horrible, but have you considered buying the working one with the scratches, swaping the lasers when you got home, then returning him the scratched up one with the broken laser? Just a thought.

So this will sound pretty horrible, but have you considered buying the working one with the scratches, swaping the lasers when you got home, then returning him the scratched up one with the broken laser? Just a thought.

Yeah, I considered that. But I kinda can't do that now as I already asked him if I could just swap out the laser in the store. So if I just went in and bought it, I think he'd be suspect as it's currently on hold for me to trade in for the broken system. And it's the only ps1 they have at any of their locations. (Are PS1's now getting rare?).

This whole situation just... sucks.

Or here is a good deal and he says tested. And you get a cool bag. Or resell it and the cords and controller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-1-console-with-original-bag-/172208230079?hash=item2818690ebf:g:bmEAAOSwxfNXOTLx

And he has make offer button.

That's a 9001. They have longer ribbon cables for their drives. And I couldnt use that system as I need the Parallel I/O port.