IGNORED

XE Monitors?

jasenr

Very sad that it never happened. Having a monitor back then was a big thing. When I got my 800 back then I actually only had a b&w tv. I kinda userped the 13" color tv from my mom but I actually knew someone with a monitor for their 800. Such a sweet setup and I don't think the kid really appriciated it.

Disappointing, since there was already a monitor for the ST line that could have worked with the XE's. Considering the company was struggling though, something had to suffer.

It's more of a surprise that Atari never produced a monitor back in the heyday of the 400/800, when it was their only computer line.

• Like 1

In the early 90's I made very little money, or at least not much left over after normal living expenses, so my first color monitor was found at a flea market (still cost me $50). I remember it was kinda odd looking, like something that was intended to be mounted in another cabinet. But beggars can't be choosers, and in those days that was a great price for anything that could display in color. Anyway I rushed home and hooked it up only to discover that it had a severe screen burn of a couple of lines of text in the center saying "Please insert card and then enter your passcode". Need less to say, that wasn't one of my better flea market finds.

However things got brighter when a month latter a friend of mine gave me a commodore 1702 that had stopped working (he had a better money situation than I and simply bought a new replacement). Well with a bit of luck I discovered what the problem was and got it working again. It turned out to be a beautiful monitor for my A8! I ended up putting an Atari emblem on it (I forget from what?) and for me it was the closest thing I'll ever have to something that looked like it could have been an XE monitor.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Best you can do is get an SC1435 and put 1084S guts in it (they're both the same Philips monitor inside) having drilled out the blanked off holes for the Y/C jacks. Someone once did this and it looked pretty good. Or leave it as is and hook a VBXE up to the RGB port.

• Like 3

I had a cream coloured Taxan 12" monitor with a smoke-coloured anti-glare plexiglass screen for my 800. It doesn't get more 70s than that easily and an Atari label would not have looked out of place on it.

Maybe Atari didn't sell monitors because TVs could do 40 columns, they didn't offer 80 col and even used 13" Trinitrons for their own offices.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Best you can do is get an SC1435 and put 1084S guts in it (they're both the same Philips monitor inside) having drilled out the blanked off holes for the Y/C jacks. Someone once did this and it looked pretty good. Or leave it as is and hook a VBXE up to the RGB port.

Let's not do stuff like that to SC1435s because they're rare and ST and Jaguar owners still have an interest in them. Better to do it to 1084S models because there's obviously more of them out there and then you can remove the curse-ed Commodore branding and substitute Atari branding if one is so inclined to do so. :)

• Like 1

Let's not do stuff like that to SC1435s because they're rare and ST and Jaguar owners still have an interest in them. Better to do it to 1084S models because there's obviously more of them out there and then you can remove the curse-ed Commodore branding and substitute Atari branding if one is so inclined to do so. :)

Heh, yeah, but I'm not advocating changing the branding or outward appearance of the SC1435 in any way (it already matches the XE well enough): all it's getting is the Y/C jacks which IMO it should have had all along anyway. RGB is still there, so it remains 100 per cent compatible with the ST and Jaguar and anything else which output 15KHz RGB. You could even - if a technical wizard - populate the vacant spots on the original mainboard with the necessary components to facilitate Y/C operation.

You could even - if a technical wizard - populate the vacant spots on the original mainboard with the necessary components to facilitate Y/C operation.

I was planing on doing this myself but I could never find a parts list. The only other option is buy the Philips version and make a parts list from that.

Mitch