IGNORED

Ms. Pac-Man Inprovements

MrFish

Thanks, that's all I needed. Reminds me though, I think I'd prefer to be hacking the Atari version rather than the CCE branded version. I'll change it over soon, but here's the CCE version with a black background for now.

Ms. Pac-Man Improvements Black (5-22-2016).bin

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

A little variation, to see how she looks being a little more rounded:

[Edit: Removed... need to correct a few editing mistakes.]

Alright, as it turned out I didn't make any editing mistakes. The problem was that the original Atari version has part of the animation sequence when Ms. Pac is facing down out of order. I only picked up on it now because I was examining things a little more closely with today's tweak. So I've reordered the animation sequence to be like it should, and applied the fix to the previous two versions I was working on as well.

Ms. Pac-Man Improvements - Rounded (5-24-2016).bin

Ms. Pac-Man Improvements - Atari Black (5-24-2016).bin

Ms. Pac-Man Improvements - Atari Blue (5-24-2016).bin

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Nice job, MrFish...A humble 2 cents here respecting monster colors...

INKY
Currently = $B8 --> Seagreen
Update Suggestion = $A8 or $AA --> Turquoise/Aqua
BLINKY
Currently = $46 --> Magenta
Update Suggestion = $32 or $34 --> Dark Red
PINKY
Currently = $58 --> Lavender leaning purple
Update Suggestion = $4A or $4C --> Pink
SUE
Currently = $26 --> Orange/Pumpkin
Update Suggestion = $28 or $2A --> Brighter Orange/Pumpkin
"SCARED" MONSTERS
Currently = $96 --> Sky/Baby Blue
Update Suggestion = $82 or $84 --> Midnight/Navy Blue
First suggestion is for the Blue background - Second suggestion is for the Black background.
  • Like 1

Nice job, MrFish...A humble 2 cents here respecting monster colors...

INKY
Currently = $B8 --> Seagreen
Update Suggestion = $A8 or $AA --> Turquoise/Aqua
BLINKY
Currently = $46 --> Magenta
Update Suggestion = $32 or $34 --> Dark Red
PINKY
Currently = $58 --> Lavender leaning purple
Update Suggestion = $4A or $4C --> Pink
SUE
Currently = $26 --> Orange/Pumpkin
Update Suggestion = $28 or $2A --> Brighter Orange/Pumpkin
"SCARED" MONSTERS
Currently = $96 --> Sky/Baby Blue
Update Suggestion = $82 or $84 --> Midnight/Navy Blue
First suggestion is for the Blue background - Second suggestion is for the Black background.

Thanks... I hadn't even thought about messing with the colors yet (other than the suggestion for a black background).

I did a quick tweak and used:

Inky - A8

Blinky - 40

Pinky - 5C

Sue - 34

Blue Ghosts - 84

But before I go too far with things, I'm wondering: what is considered the best palette for use in Stella?

Are people just using the default, or are there others that are considered better? I don't want to waste my time

tweaking colors if I'm using an inferior/inaccurate palette.

I do a lot of tweaking on the Atari 8-bit computer games; the palettes seem close, but I'm seeing some differences,

which is why I ask. I'm currently just using the default Palette for version 5.0.2 of Stella.

Ms. Pac-Man Improvements - 8-bit eyes, colors (12-20-2017).bin

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

Speaking of hacks, I have a list of some of the best ones here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-harmony-cartridge.html#hacks

You might find another hack that you can improve on.

Yeah, I'll start looking at the hacks first before I start improving on anything in the future.

I was already considering improving on the Dig Dug Arcade hack per some of the changes I'm making in this 8-bit computer version hack:

Dig Dug (1983) - Graphic Improvements

Should work out pretty good for the 2600 version.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I'm having a problem with the NTSC and PAL60 versions in Stella.

Somestimes more than half the screen turns black and animation/movement will slow down. It's always when bouncing food is on the screen.

PAL version seems to be fine.

Is it happening during the first screen or later screens? I haven't played it much past the first screen and haven't had any problems so far.

What version of Stella are you using? If it's the very latest version, the person working on Stella will probably want to know about it. I'm using Stella 4.6 at this time.

Seems to be either a VSYNC or WSYNC issue. The affected frame only has ~148 scanlines, hence the 'short' frame and half the screen turning black. Someone else with more experience with this code will have to look at it, to determine if it is a ROM error or an emulation error. The best way is probably to test on real hardware.

Is it happening during the first screen or later screens? I haven't played it much past the first screen and haven't had any problems so far.

What version of Stella are you using? If it's the very latest version, the person working on Stella will probably want to know about it. I'm using Stella 4.6 at this time.

It happens on any of the screens, but only when the bouncing food is on screen, and it seems to happen more when Ms. Pac is on the upper part of the screen (maybe more ghosts have to be there too).

As I mentioned above, I'm using Stella 5.0.2.

Seems to be either a VSYNC or WSYNC issue. The affected frame only has ~148 scanlines, hence the 'short' frame and half the screen turning black. Someone else with more experience with this code will have to look at it, to determine if it is a ROM error or an emulation error. The best way is probably to test on real hardware.

Yes, if someone can verify on real hardware. I don't have any way to test it on real hardware (no multi-cart, etc.).

• Like 1

I can't get it to happen on real hardware (light sixer), but I do notice that the screen jumps very slightly under the above conditions. So there is definitely something happening here on a real console too, but not to the extent as in Stella. I will create an issue for it.

• Like 1