IGNORED

Ms. Pac-Man ROM & full source now available FREE

On the jzintv site, Joe wants people to use the Stable Dev version, which is newer than that Beta 4 version.

It is on the lower right corner of the page

Thanks, I will try that one. The other beta 4 did the same thing for me (blank screen). Are there any particular settings that need to be switched as well?

None of the binaries on the jzintv site will work on a raspberry pi. You could compile from source but that looks like an old version. For raspberry pi there is the jzintv that comes with Retropie and there is one in the package from intellivision.us. Not sure which one is newer or how to tell what version you have.

Not that it should make a difference, but do you have the ecs switch (-s) on? Maybe post your command switches.

Edit:

If you have trouble, try it with no command options/switches.

Edited by mr_me

None of the binaries on the jzintv site will work on a raspberry pi. You could compile from source but that looks like an old version. For raspberry pi there is the jzintv that comes with Retropie and there is one in the package from intellivision.us. Not sure which one is newer or how to tell what version you have.

Not that it should make a difference, but do you have the ecs switch (-s) on? Maybe post your command switches.

Edit:

If you have trouble, try it with no command options/switches.

That is correct. The versions on the site are not for the Pi, but Joe has told me that the version for the Pi is based on the Stable Dev version.

That is correct. The versions on the site are not for the Pi, but Joe has told me that the version for the Pi is based on the Stable Dev version.

I believe you need to go with the "development version" off of Joe's site in order to get the build of jzIntv that will play Ms. Pac-Man.

Is there a gui version for Windows of the latest version?

You can just use Windows Explorer as a GUI. Put the game roms anywhere you like. Drag and drop a game file onto jzintv.exe/bat/shortcut to play; or double click; or open with.

Carl, as DZ asked, what are the terms of the code/ROM release?

Burn it to serial-numbered carts and make up some repro boxes, and you're all set.

In all seriousness, people will go and do that if you don't at least make an attempt to describe licensing/release terms. Hell, they go and do it anyway.

Burn it to serial-numbered carts and make up some repro boxes, and you're all set.

In all seriousness, people will go and do that if you don't at least make an attempt to describe licensing/release terms. Hell, they go and do it anyway.

Carl owns the code but not the name, graphics, or music. His terms for using the code are on his web site.

Exactly. What's the point of stating terms when people are going to do what they want with it anyway? There's nothing to prevent people from stealing the code and using it for their own purposes. How am I going to know?

Obviously, you do not have my permission to sell the game in any format (in fact it belongs to Intelligentvision), but you can freely distribute it. Rather than hosting it on your website, I would prefer that you linked to my blogger page, however.

The thing about getting credit, is that I don't care that much. I'd just like to know that it's being used, and that it was helpful. So if somebody does use some of the code, send me an email and let me know how it was useful to you.

There is a lot of useful stuff here, if someone takes the time to peruse it and study.

Carl

• Like 2

Carl owns the code but not the name, graphics, or music. His terms for using the code are on his web site.

That's debatable whether or not I own the graphics. I painstakingly drew all of them with my own voice, so I consider them my creations. I do not own the characters portrayed, obviously.

I agree that I do not own the music, since I did not compose it.

Anyway, nothing to argue about. I'm aware what a court of law might determine that I "own" is no doubt different than what I feel I own.

Carl

• Like 3

Obviously, you do not have my permission to sell the game in any format (in fact it belongs to Intelligentvision), but you can freely distribute it.

Thanks Carl. Now I know how to respond to anyone who wants a copy of it in its original form, or a hack of it.

Exactly. What's the point of stating terms when people are going to do what they want with it anyway? There's nothing to prevent people from stealing the code and using it for their own purposes. How am I going to know?

Obviously, you do not have my permission to sell the game in any format (in fact it belongs to Intelligentvision), but you can freely distribute it. Rather than hosting it on your website, I would prefer that you linked to my blogger page, however.

The thing about getting credit, is that I don't care that much. I'd just like to know that it's being used, and that it was helpful. So if somebody does use some of the code, send me an email and let me know how it was useful to you.

There is a lot of useful stuff here, if someone takes the time to peruse it and study.

Carl

So... the code is not in the public domain, nor released in any open source license, gotcha. It's just common courtesy to state specifically what it can or cannot be used for, so that we may understand your intentions. For instance, if your point was to share the code for others to re-use and extend in their own creations, then that's very good and should be prominently stated. If the point was to allow look-but-don't-touch (like Microsoft), then who'll bother?

Perhaps you can invent a brand new license: the Angry Carl License Of Spite (ACLOS). :lol:

It pretty much states: "I don't give you permission to do anything, but since I know you will do it anyway, then what the hell. Here's the source."

Edited by DZ-Jay

These posts are starting to become rude, which I find inappropriate considering the guy just posted the ROM and full source code.

It's not in response to posting the source code, it's in response to his attitude. I think Carl's comment was a bit rude, since the people that would be interested in his source code are programmers that may want to learn from it, myself included. Suggesting that they would try to steal his code is harsh, and changes the tone of the release from a nice, community-aware gesture to spiteful.

I think that may limit the appeal of the code, which is a shame since I'm sure there's a lot of gold in there. I personally won't touch it now, and I bet you I'm not the only one. Oh well.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

He certainly showed some cynicism at the start of his post and the remainder could have been more clear, but responding with sarcasm is a good way to derail the thread. I think politely asking for some clarity would have been the way to go. He posted the source for the reason, so all we needed is a clear explanation of what is and isn't allowed with it. What I read from his post is that we can take pieces from his code but he would like us to let him know we did. He's posted it to help out other programmers. I personally fine it very helpful.

• Like 1

It's not in response to posting the source code, it's in response to his attitude. I think Carl's comment was a bit rude, since the people that would be interested in his source code are programmers that may want to learn from it, myself included. Suggesting that they would try to steal his code is harsh, and changes the tone of the release from a nice, community-aware gesture to spiteful.

I think that may limit the appeal of the code, which is a shame since I'm sure there's a lot of gold in there. I personally won't touch it now, and I bet you I'm not the only one. Oh well.

-dZ.

Absolutely, legit programmers are one group of people that would be interested in the source code.

Another group would be those looking to make bootleg copies or a quick hack for a "new" game release. Those are the types of people I interrupted Carl to be referring to respecting his statement: "There's nothing to prevent people from stealing the code and using it for their own purposes."

The fact that he stated in the same post, "There is a lot of useful stuff here, if someone takes the time to peruse it and study", related to me a spirit of helpfulness and generosity, nearly imploring programmers to learn from it.

Thanks Carl, for sharing the source and binaries with the community. It is appreciated.

He certainly showed some cynicism at the start of his post and the remainder could have been more clear, but responding with sarcasm is a good way to derail the thread. I think politely asking for some clarity would have been the way to go.

Some of us did:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252928-ms-pac-man-rom-full-source-now-available-free/?p=3515894

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252928-ms-pac-man-rom-full-source-now-available-free/?p=3520416

The response was cynicism. That's a way to derail the thread.

Another group would be those looking to make bootleg copies or a quick hack for a "new" game release. Those are the types of people I interrupted Carl to be referring to respecting his statement: "There's nothing to prevent people from stealing the code and using it for their own purposes."

I don't see any evidence that this has happened with any other game -- including those who have been released in source or ROM before.

-dZ.

It takes more than one post to derail a thread. :)

Point taken.

In any case, my point was that Carl should lighten up. Releasing the source code to a game is a very good and commendable thing, but the context in which it is done is equally as important. Sharing the code for others to gain insight and be able to leverage it for future projects should be the primary motivation; pointing out any other cynical view of potential exploitation -- especially in response to those who specifically want to respect his work and wishes -- comes out as spiteful and does not endear the community.

That's it, just something to consider for future community engagements.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I'm confused. Who has copyright on the code Carl or Intelligentvision. On the website it says "If you use any (or all) source code, please give me credit in any published work"; indicating people have permission to use the code in their works. But then says here "you do not have my permission to sell the game in any format". Does this mean someone cannot use part of this code in a different game that they plan to sell? I admit, I'm a little out of my league on this.