IGNORED

Ms. Pac-Man ROM & full source now available FREE

I'm confused. Who has copyright on the code Carl or Intelligentvision. On the website it says "If you use any (or all) source code, please give me credit in any published work"; indicating people have permission to use the code in their works. But then says here "you do not have my permission to sell the game in any format". Does this mean someone cannot use part of this code in a different game that they plan to sell? I admit, I'm a little out of my league on this.

It's amazing how one post could be so misunderstood and taken out of context.

If you look at the post I'm responding to, the person is suggesting that people will take the Ms. Pac-Man ROM, burn their own run of cartridges, and sell them.

My post was not intended to be cynical, this is simply what I would refer to as "stealing" -- taking the code wholesale (probably hacking in their own name to the title screen) and selling it for profit.

Let's use common sense here… My intent in posting the source was not for this purpose. It's for people to learn from and use. If they do, I would like to know about it and those are really the only terms.

Carl

• Like 6

I don't see any evidence that this has happened with any other game -- including those who have been released in source or ROM before.

-dZ.

if you ask in the atari 2600 section this has happened and in a good amount. One guy was raking in a lot of money selling bootleg carts of other programmers homebrews. Juice whatever his name is was selling bootleg coleco sgm modules that were originally made by other programmers here. Edited by pimpmaul69

if you ask in the atari 2600 section this has happened and in a good amount. One guy was raking in a lot of money selling bootleg carts of other programmers homebrews. Juice whatever his name is was selling bootleg coleco sgm modules that were originally made by other programmers here.

People in this community burn commonly-available Mattel ROMs to cart all the time, just so that someone "can complete the collection". Or "have it on cart". Or because someone hacked one a little. And as far as I can tell, people sell them at a profit too.

I'm not aware of it happening to a homebrew yet, but in at least some cases it's not for lack of trying. If people will pay money for an extremely minor graphics hack to Lock n Chase just to own it on a cart, then I'm pretty sure they'd pay money to actually be able to play an entirely new game that isn't available in ROM format at all, and is hard to find cheap on cart.

Personally I hope the multicarts get enough exposure that we don't see widespread commercial piracy in this community, but we'll see. Keith would get crucified if he tried to stop some of the more blatant stuff that I've seen here; I only hope that the "basement programmers" don't have to deal with this too.

People in this community burn commonly-available Mattel ROMs to cart all the time, just so that someone "can complete the collection". Or "have it on cart". Or because someone hacked one a little. And as far as I can tell, people sell them at a profit too.

I'm not aware of it happening to a homebrew yet, but in at least some cases it's not for lack of trying. If people will pay money for an extremely minor graphics hack to Lock n Chase just to own it on a cart, then I'm pretty sure they'd pay money to actually be able to play an entirely new game that isn't available in ROM format at all, and is hard to find cheap on cart.

Personally I hope the multicarts get enough exposure that we don't see widespread commercial piracy in this community, but we'll see. Keith would get crucified if he tried to stop some of the more blatant stuff that I've seen here; I only hope that the "basement programmers" don't have to deal with this too.

here is one thread on someone doing it. I will dig up some more.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252453-is-anyone-else-concerned-about-copies/?fromsearch=1

Edited by pimpmaul69

Might be because its hard to dump from a modern Intellivision cartridge. And its hard to make Intellivision cartridges. If it were as easy as the other systems you might see counterfeit spiker cartridges, just like you see fake spiker boxes. And people have made unauthorised boxes for Intellivision homebrews.

Might be because its hard to dump from a modern Intellivision cartridge. And its hard to make Intellivision cartridges. If it were as easy as the other systems you might see counterfeit spiker cartridges, just like you see fake spiker boxes. And people have made unauthorised boxes for Intellivision homebrews.

Maybe so, but I don't think that barrier to entry is lowering by releasing source code, is it?

• 1 year later...

Just noticed a bug I think. I set the options to five lives and bonus at 10k. As I'm playing, I hear what I believe is the extra live sound around 3k points, but I don't hear any sound when I get the extra life at 10k. It's happened both times I've played it so far.

Tried it this morning and had the same thing happen to me, going to see if it happens on the physical release as well when i get a chance.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Vindex said:

Why not more free? 

Because it takes a lot of time, effort, and work to design and code these games.  Having them do it for free would be like taking your car with a blown transmission to your local mechanic and asking him to fix it for a smile.  Not going to happen.

Make sense?

8 hours ago, mr_me said:

There's a handfull of cartridges that conflict with ecs rom.  If you are using an ltoflash I thought it had a way to work around it.

I am using the LTO flash but still get the big block ms Pacman.     Works great on the LTO without the ECS