IGNORED

7800 blue power connection plug - where to find?

Chandler

That's actually a lot cheaper than I remember as what I last saw was $50 so consider it a deal! I don't think you're going to find this proprietary connector off the shelf not to mention for cheaper though it would be interesting to learn such connectors exist to repair damaged ones.

This guy has this same request posted in the wanted section where I informed him that the "blue plug" is a proprietary plug by Atari. I guess

he didn't like that news and thought the answer might change in a different section of the forum. Well OP, there you go, answer is still the same.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This guy has this same request posted in the wanted section where I informed him that the "blue plug" is a proprietary plug by Atari. I guess

he didn't like that news and thought the answer might change in a different section of the forum. Well OP, there you go, answer is still the same.

Others have said that they found the same connector on a Texas Instruments adapter and AtariGuide has a listing for some 3" leads that were sold new without the adapter.

It's a crappy connector. They wear out and get loose. Usually just when you are kicking ass in a game. :(

That one is on my list along with the standard USB connector. Crappy design.

You must be confusing "Standard" with something else. "Standard" USB "B" connectors are tank built.

17m9wsbic8y4zjpg.jpg

Minis are fairly reliable. Micros are absolute rubbish. Nothing like owning a $600 tablet that is trashed because you can't charge it because the power connector broke off. And they usually thermo-seal those things to make tampering or repair impossible. :ponder:

And I second the "just buy an Atariguide adapter" bit. The OEM Atari supplies have notoriously brittle wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Got pics? Cause I've never seen or heard or such a thing.

He may be referencing what someone else mentioned ["...an old 3V power adapter for a TI calculator."].

The item linked going back to Radio Shack is not valid (any longer).

There's a list of AC-Adapters and Chargers for the Datamatch Calculators. Also, a historical breakdown of the TI calculators, including:

1985 = TI-30 Galaxy
1986 = TI-60
1987 = TI-12 Math Explorer
1988 = TI-68
1990 = TI-81
I didn't find any pics or anything described matching the 7800 adapter, although that does not mean it does not necessary exist; would love to see it myself as well.

Regardless, $15-$18 you get the whole power supply brand new. Don't quite see the value in splicing, screwing up the voltage, or/and some bad wiring, ending up with a fried console or worse with those prices. :?

I guess as the old saying goes, to each their own. :)

I also saw what I think is a three-pin version of the same power connector at Goodwill on some random product. I have no doubt that it exists in component catalogs, I just have no idea how to know which to order. Obviously, AtariGuide figured it out. ;)

He may be referencing what someone else mentioned ["...an old 3V power adapter for a TI calculator."].

The item linked going back to Radio Shack is not valid (any longer).

There's a list of AC-Adapters and Chargers for the Datamatch Calculators. Also, a historical breakdown of the TI calculators, including:

1985 = TI-30 Galaxy

1986 = TI-60

1987 = TI-12 Math Explorer

1988 = TI-68

1990 = TI-81

I didn't find any pics or anything described matching the 7800 adapter, although that does not mean it does not necessary exist; would love to see it myself as well.

Regardless, $15-$18 you get the whole power supply brand new. Don't quite see the value in splicing, screwing up the voltage, or/and some bad wiring, ending up with a fried console or worse with those prices. :?

I guess as the old saying goes, to each their own. :)

UTSSMPl.png

I scrolled down that list and searched for the first 3.3v one I saw. Heck, one of them on eBay even has a blue tip.

The point here is that you can keep your eyes out for these plugs in the wild so you can get them for spare parts. Obviously, if you need one now, it makes sense to buy one now.

Edited by CZroe

I scrolled down that list and searched for the first 3.3v one I saw.

Interesting...The list of calculators it supports is from the mid-late 70's:

TI-1600, TI-1650, TI-1680, SR-51-II, TI-57 (1977), TI-58, TI-58C, TI-59

1976-1977: SR-40, TI-30, TI-31, BA

Too busy focusing on the 80's line of calculators...lol.

Didn't think they would hit a 70's adapter plug for the 7800 design. Perhaps it was the first 'different looking' adapter they came across when comparing the standard 2600 plug design versus what else was present during that time period; considering the reason for the unique design of the 7800 plug was so as not to be confused with other (2600) power adapters.

Interesting...The list of calculators it supports is from the mid-late 70's:

TI-1600, TI-1650, TI-1680, SR-51-II, TI-57 (1977), TI-58, TI-58C, TI-59[/size]1976-1977: SR-40, TI-30, TI-31, BA[/size]

Too busy focusing on the 80's line of calculators...lol.

Didn't think they would hit a 70's adapter plug for the 7800 design. Perhaps it was the first 'different looking' adapter they came across when comparing the standard 2600 plug design versus what else was present during that time period; considering the reason for the unique design of the 7800 plug was so as not to be confused with other (2600) power adapters.

Yeah, but that was when they were big and bright and usually took replaceable batteries instead of small internal coin cells or solar, so AC makes a lot more sense for those old 1970s LED models. I had a solar-only Big B Drugs-branded freebie credit card calculator around 1985 so I'm not even sure why they bothered having an AC adapter with the more modern ones. :) Edited by CZroe

• 1 month later...