IGNORED

How rare is Up'N'Down for the Commodore 64 ?

CPUWIZ

I imagine the cartridge one would be rare....cartridges in general were pretty rare in the UK, although there were games released on cartridge towards the end of the C64's life. The game itself wasn't rare though.

Those are just fantastic to see. I'm now wondering which other games were released on cartridge in the US, that weren't in Europe. Were cartridge releases on the C64 fairly common in the US, even if in scarce quantities per game?

I was always under the impression that cartridges and tapes were more popular in Europe than they were in North America, since the disk drive was more popular over here (for whatever reason).

There was also the whole C64GS thing... which inspired some companies to make cartridges since that's all that the GS would play. Due to it's (lack of) success, it was a wasted effort, but at least everyone could still play them. I was also under the impression that the GS was more popular in Europe, and essentially non-existent here in NA.

Of course, I could be completely wrong on both of those beliefs...

--Zero

Tapes were by far the most common medium in England, where the C64 was bundled with a tape deck and disk drives were very expensive, although that wasn't necessarily the case in the rest of Europe. Cartridges were never really "common". There were some cartridge games when the C64 first appeared, and then again at the end of it's life, but there weren't a lot of games on cartridge.

None of the Sega cartridges were released here in the UK. However many of the games WERE released on tape/disc by US Gold along the way so we still got the programs. I can think of Spy Hunter, Tapper, Up 'n Down Buck Rogers and Congo Bongo to begin with. Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon were NOT... however the Synapse and HES versions of said programs WERE. And Star Trek never made the journey either.

Sega labels also tend to suffer a bit from Actiplaque, hence the slightly mottled and dirty nature in the pictures. Keeping them out of sunlight and air is a good idea! :P

@PaulEMoz... there were a HUGE number of cartridges for C64 that were only released in the US. Thanks to the net/eBay I've been able to get most of them. Manufacturers such as TSI, Sega, Activision, Spinnaker etc only released them on cart in the US. Sometimes the programs would make it on tape/disc to the UK... such as Activision, HES, Fisher Price and a few others.

@Video Game Addict... as editor and sole head of the C64 section of the Digital Press guide, you'll be pleased to know that at some point in the time between guide #6 coming out and now, I'd upped the rarity on the Up 'n Down cart to a 4 instead (value $10). It's probably worth $30 if you find it boxed with instructions though... hell a LOT of C64 carts at least triple in value if complete over loose...

Oh and my C64 copy of Up 'n Down ;)

post-986-1051474657_thumb.jpg

@Video Game Addict... as editor and sole head of the C64 section of the Digital Press guide, you'll be pleased to know that at some point in the time between guide #7 coming out and now, I'd upped the rarity on the Up 'n Down cart to a 4 instead (value $10). It's probably worth $30 if you find it boxed with instructions though... hell a LOT of C64 carts at least triple in value if complete over loose...

What's a boxed Visible Solar System worth then? I have tons of loose carts but that's the only boxed one for C-64 I own.

What's a boxed Visible Solar System worth then?  I have tons of loose carts but that's the only boxed one for C-64 I own.

As VSS isn't a game (in such) then actually it doesn't currently have an entry in the guide. Maybe I'll add it for the hell anyhows ;)

But on my personal judgement, a loose one is a sure fire Combat common worth $1. Boxed and complete... hmmm... still not that rare really... I'd say $8 max...

Archived