IGNORED

2016 Hardware Poll

Omega-TI

2016 Hardware Use  

43 members have voted

1. 1. F18A Video Enhancement

• I own at least one and have it hooked up to my computer.
    • I do not currently own one, but plan to purchase one within the next six months.
    • I do not own one.
  2. 2. Super AMS 1 Megabyte Card

• I own at least one and have it hooked up to one of my systems.
    • I do not currently own one, but plan to purchase one within the next six months.
    • I do not currently own one.
  3. 3. SD Cartridge (Flash ROM 99)

• I own at least one of these devices.
    • I do not currently own one, but plan to purchase one within the next 6 months.
  4. 4. Lotharek HxC

• I own at least one and have it hooked up to my system.
    • I do not own one.
  5. 5. USB Keyboard Adapter

• I currently at least one and have it hooked up to my system.
    • I do not currently own one, but plan to obtain one within the next six months.
    • I do not own one.
  6. 6. HDX Interface (RS-232 Modification)

• I currently own at least one and have it hooked up to one of my systems.
  7. 7. Lantronix UDS-10

• I currently own at least one of these items and have it hooked up to a system.
    • I do not currently own one, but plan to purchase one with the next six months.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A lot of goodies have been released for, or adopted for use with the TI in the past few years.

In just the last month alone we've had not one, but two new major items released.

It appears people have been upgrading at a furious pace as well, which pretty much makes any poll taken in the last year or two totally obsolete... so it's poll time again.

This time the focus is only on add-ons devices, so if you are a real iron user, please participate, even if you do not own any of the devices, please participate as it gives us a better view of the entire community.

• Like 2

Don't own the SD cartridge yet as I'm waiting for the kit to arrive from Germany. Can't wait! (edit, looks like something arrived from abroad today, but needed to sign for it so the postal carrier did_not_leave it by the door) ARGH!

Sold my CF7+ a while ago and opted to do Mark's 32kb internal memory and go the multi-cart route instead.

No PEB box, HxC or any of that as the new SD flash card will suit my modern storage needs just fine. Probably no reason to even consider reacquiring a PEB at this point and the cost of them (not to mention the sheer bulk) sure are helping to solidify that decision. Have used the TI for decades just fine without one.

No F18A either and not really sure I need to go *there* with my TI just yet.

Another selection is required for each item in the poll:

- I have purchased but am awaiting delivery. (or ...but have not yet installed)

I had to lie on two items as a result, since technically I do own them but, being fairly new goodies, they haven't made it across the border to my front door, so they are not installed in my machine.

The Lotharek and HDX additions depend on oil prices continuing to increase (bringing the Canadian $ with them). I've just been a very bad boy in the spending/saving department in the last few months (all of it on the 4A), and have to take a break (although a healthier dollar will allow me to take a break from the break)

• Like 1

Sorry Tursi,

I had considered it, but decided to limit the poll to things 'more recent' and relative easy to obtain or currently available. Sadly, AFAIK, one cannot just order one pre-assembled like the other things mentioned above.

For the record I love your PS/2 keyboard adapter and would never give mine up for anything, :lust:

• Like 1

I had considered it, but decided to limit the poll to things 'more recent' and relative easy to obtain or currently available. Sadly, AFAIK, one cannot just order one pre-assembled like the other things mentioned above.

Ah? I didn't realize the USB one could be ordered... I thought it was just the PCB that you could get made... I'll go look at the thread again.

the spirit lives on in the usb since you helped him so much :)

I help lots of projects, it doesn't mean I have any credit in their creation. Advice is nothing next to the effort to finish. ;) I do it cause it's fun to think through the problems.

• Like 1

Ah? I didn't realize the USB one could be ordered... I thought it was just the PCB that you could get made... I'll go look at the thread again.

I help lots of projects, it doesn't mean I have any credit in their creation. Advice is nothing next to the effort to finish. ;) I do it cause it's fun to think through the problems.

I haven't actually signed up to build to order the USB adapters, but I do have parts to build 3 more, and a handful of printed pcboards beyond that. The way I designed it, it still requires soldering onto your TI keyboard, and the way I see it, if you can do that, you can build the rest of it. ( And I'm really not interested in having anyone ship me their consoles... )

I built one for Shift838 so I could rope him into testing it. He built his second. And Greg built his. I shipped a blank pcboard to somewhere in the UK.

I'd actually love to see a comprehensive hardware poll... something that includes all the manufactured and mod-based hardware going back 30 plus years. But my DISC personality is a C.

I understand that desire, @Matt. I'm an ENTP on Meyers-Briggs. . .of course the "E" part is a bit life-trained, as I started out as a definite "I" on that scale. Then I discovered in my 20s that I actually have to interact with the beings in the world around me once in a while. :)

• Like 3

If you saw my bank account... ;) Nah, I've got to hold off of anything not real cheap (and even more than a couple things that are) until after KansasFest.

I'd been saving to go, but didn't think I could save enough (I'm basically unemployable given my medical history, to say nothing of the disability), so when my fiancee fumbled her iPad off her lap when she turned around in her wheelchair and it cracked, I surprised her with a shiny repaired one. And then the Apple peeps surprised ME with a ticket to KFest. So all spare funds are committed for a few months because it's a 3 day trip by car from Portlandia to Kansas City. (No, I'm not the one driving. My efforts will be spent trying to keep myself from getting skin cancer in the passenger seat again...)

40th anniversary of Apple (not that they know or have cared that we exist since about 1984), so this is kind of a once in a lifetime experience. And I don't even know who to thank for it. (Then they told me on the zelboraf study that going conflicts with their newly changed schedule and I told them to figure it out because I AM GOING TO KANSAS CITY. I'm not sure they get it. But Katie does.)

So I have to hold off buying (m)any fancy toys until after I'm safely back from that and have paid my existing debts. I did get to kinda just show up at FestWest this year, and have promised to be a good retrocomputing nerd and use the forum now and then so I'm all on the list and everything next year. :D

• Like 2

I have wanted one for a while now, but cannot make my own boards. I am getting better at soldering though... Will you make a kit?

I can't procure most of the cables to make the nice plug and play kit I wanted to. But if it's just a question of ordering PCBs and shipping them out with the AVRs, clocks, and pins ready to assemble, and telling people to get to it and have fun, I've always been willing to do that. It even said so on the PS/2 download page for a decade (though in fewer words). ;)

You would need to either procure cables for the keyboard (I actually use half of a floppy cable myself), the PS/2 port (they were once plentiful, now they seem tricky) and the power, though you could also solder the power directly (which is what mine has). But I did one proof of concept build that was all cabled and it worked. :)

Omega, you built one, didn't you? What did you use for the cables?