IGNORED

Who Remembers "The Safe"?

VectorGamer

According to KLOV this thing was made in 1974. I can remember this cabinet hanging around the arcade still in the early 80s. If memory serves you had to guess the combination. I just can't remember what prize was inside. I know I solved it at least once. I think you had to put your ear up to the door just like you see on TV.

1297018364.jpg

1158191059.jpg

I frequented many arcades in the early to mid 80s. Sadly I never saw that thing, though without a monitor and any kind of actual gameplay, I might have passed it up if I did see it.

Looking at it now though, it looks pretty neat.

I was in Las Vegas last week and went to the Pinball Hall Of Fame. They had one there. It is the first time I had seen it, I made a mental note, but didn't actually play it. I was also there in January and they didn't have it yet, so it must be a new add to their collection.

Bill

I was in Las Vegas last week and went to the Pinball Hall Of Fame. They had one there. It is the first time I had seen it, I made a mental note, but didn't actually play it. I was also there in January and they didn't have it yet, so it must be a new add to their collection.

Bill

That's neat, I'll be going there in August as my girlfriend lives in Henderson. I'll report back and give my thoughts on it :)

Note that it is the "Pinball Hall of Fame" and as such, it is around 90% pinball machines, from really old, to the newest ones (Jersey Jack's, Stern). It has one row of arcade machines, maybe a dozen or so.

post-188-0-55704000-1465051203_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-53853700-1465051217_thumb.jpg

It does have the Atari Superman pinball machine. It might have the Atari Middle Earth pinball machine. It does not have the massive Atari Hercules pinball machine.

Also in the same parking lot is a used video game store. I always stop in to see what Atari 8-bit carts they have in stock.

post-188-0-07922300-1465051233_thumb.jpg

Regards

Bill

Oh I know there's not a lot of arcade machines, but the assortment they have still looks pretty cool.

Granted when I go I'll probably be spending a lot of time on the Pinball machines, but I'll take my time for a game of Spy Hunter and Super Mario Bros.

According to KLOV this thing was made in 1974. I can remember this cabinet hanging around the arcade still in the early 80s. If memory serves you had to guess the combination. I just can't remember what prize was inside. I know I solved it at least once. I think you had to put your ear up to the door just like you see on TV.

1297018364.jpg

1158191059.jpg

That thing is AWESOME!

I messaged Todd Tuckey to see if he remembered what/how the prize was given when you opened the door:

It dispensed a special token which you could redeem for a prize...you could also put something inside too

but you would have to replace it each time!

• 1 month later...

I came across one of these back in 2009 when I was working with a partner on a new arcade that never opened. It was in Bountiful, UT and the landlord had purchased a huge bundle of games from a CA auction back in 1999 but never did anything with it. I was brought on to help get things going and there were many rarities on hand, including Open The Safe.

Most everything there didn't work but Open The Safe mostly did. It was very cool, with the voltimeter and LED lighting to help you figure out the right combo. The prizes inside where these large coins - not sure if they were the original prize or not but it seemed like it.

It's really too bad that project went like it did - we had to end up junking a lot of stuff but there were still dozens of cabinets remaining, including a working Steeplechase.

• 1 month later...