IGNORED

Vic 20 printing question.

I have recently acquired a Vic-1525 that is in good working order. I was wondering if anyone on here knows if it is possible to print from a word processor program using the Vic-1525 on the Vic-20? If so, I'm always open to learn. I know how to print out lines of text from the print#3 command (or whatever designated number the printer is assigned under). Thanks for taking time to look this post over.

You mean a domestic word processor running on the VIC? I would assume so, it depends on the program of course. If you're talking about a word processor on the PC, you would likely need to save your file in a format w.r.t. carriage returns, line feeds and possibly ASCII -> PETSCII conversion that is appropriate to read sequentially and print on the VIC.

You access the printer with OPEN 1,4 or 1,5 depending how it is set up. Then you either PRINT#1 individual lines or use CMD1 to redirect screen output to the printer, so LIST will send its content to the printer. Use a final PRINT#1 without content to end the CMD command, then CLOSE 1.

(OPEN 4,4 etc works just as fine, as the first number just is your file designator, while the second is the device address)

Edited by carlsson

I have Vic Typewriter which was a .TAP file I put on a cassette to use with my datasette, and I have one that was preloaded on an SD card I purchased with my sd2iec called speed script. If I have the printer under the cmd1 and I enter the command list, that will simply print the code of the program in basic I have loaded at the time, will It not? Is it possible with a Vic-20 domestic word processor to print a document you make with said processor? I'm sorry if these questions seem naive, I'm just trying to figure out what is possible.

Actually I never looked into the printing options of any word processor. Possibly some of them just save in a format that you could import into another system for typesetting and printing, but it definitely is a question that is worth looking into.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I decided to try speedscript 3.2 and I can get it to print a full line of text, however if I try to write a paragraph the printer acts like it's about to go Into position to print but nothing happens, the screen simply displays "Printing..." But it never prints the paragraph. Perhaps I have a bad copy of it on my SD card. I thought maybe it's the printer, but I have an actual copy of Money Decisions II and the printer works with it fine. So I'm not sure, but I thought you'd guys like to know about any progress.

This Thread brings back memories. My Educator 64 has an 80 Column board so the impact printer printout would match the screen layout. Remember the resolution of 9 pin vs 24 pin dot matrix ribbon printers? The Vic 20 only has 22 letters across, the printer margins would play havoc. It can be done, just have to sort out the justifications.