IGNORED

Atari SC1224 with stuck volume and brightness knobs

I have a few stored away displays and found the SC1224 has stuck knobs. Otherwise it still works but volume a tad loud. Went to lower it and knob will not budge. All 3 knobs in fact are stuck. The one I own looks like this model.

See attached picture.

These knobs are on left side bottom as you look at the display. 3 knobs.

Any advice on how to unstick and get them moving again?

TJ

post-26160-0-18834500-1464321156_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariSociety

I also have one of these also with stuck knobs. The settings on mine are where I like it but would be interested to know if these can be fixed. I am suspecting they rusted in place.

I have never taken the monitor apart to confirm.

I had this problem a few years ago and rectified it by spraying electrical parts cleaner behind the knobs. I let it sit for several minutes and things loosened up.

I'm not in anyway qualified to tell you if this is recommended or not, but it worked for me.

Oh, and there are electrical parts cleaners that are safe for plastics. See if you can find that type to be sure you don't damage the case or knobs.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

So I take it you had enough gap between the monitor case and knobs to shoot the cleaner inside?

I will have to flip mine over and see.

If the case was easy enough to remove I guess it would be better to go at it from inside but with flyback transformers ready to zap you, I never like to open displays. ;-)

TJ

I had this problem a few years ago and rectified it by spraying electrical parts cleaner behind the knobs. I let it sit for several minutes and things loosened up.

I'm not in anyway qualified to tell you if this is recommended or not, but it worked for me.

Oh, and there are electrical parts cleaners that are safe for plastics. See if you can find that type to be sure you don't damage the case or knobs.

Edited by AtariSociety

Its been a while, but I seem to remember just turning the unit on its back and dispensed the cleaner from the can via the attached plastic tube. I bought a contact cleaner that said it was safe for plastics so I didn't even remove the knobs. I did my best to not get too much cleaner on the plastics anyway just to be safe.

I then let things soak in for several minutes, the knobs were then able to move. I worked them back and forth for a bit and repeated the process just to be sure that any corrosion was addressed.

I waited a few minutes just to be sure that the cleaner was fully dried and then turned it on and all seemed to be okay.

Once again though, I'm not sure this method is in anyway suggested but it worked for me. If you are unsure about trying it, I would see if there are any old TV repair people in your town who might have better advice.

-Pete

ahh.. I have a different version of the 1224 with knobs on the right side.. the on/off and volume control are one.. so I guess thats never a worry. Would you think corrosion? Also if the monitor has been sitting on the shelf for years.. there is no issue with caps being charged inside.. and usually when you remove the back cowel you can expose what you need to see without danger.. There is a service manual online for one.. I downloaded it a few weeks back.

James

Yup, but did use it now connected to my newly acquired Mega STe.

But yes, know well enough to just stay away from parts but some days I opt just not for the extra chances of going inside stuff.

I may try the quick spray option. If that fails, will open her up.

hehe

TJ

ahh.. I have a different version of the 1224 with knobs on the right side.. the on/off and volume control are one.. so I guess thats never a worry. Would you think corrosion? Also if the monitor has been sitting on the shelf for years.. there is no issue with caps being charged inside.. and usually when you remove the back cowel you can expose what you need to see without danger.. There is a service manual online for one.. I downloaded it a few weeks back.

James

• 3 months later...

hi,

I rewrite a previous message, hoping you can help me :

I use a 1040 ste with two monitors (sm 124; sc 1224) without switchbox.

I've now facing a sound problem with only the sc 1224 I don't understand : the monitor sound speaker is weak and " blowing ". The stranger is that the sound is also bad from external speakers linked to the stereo rca port of the STE....(If I connect the monochrom monitor, the sound is good from this stereo rca port...).

So, what's the problem ?