IGNORED

Nintendo, What Went Wrong

Scavenging or hunting for food and weapons, while not decreasing the time spent foraging, actually adds a layer of realism to the game.

But I don't want realism, I want Zelda! *pouts*

I'm not really upset, actually- like I said, I will reserve any serious judgment until closer to release date, there's still lots of time for things to change. Or just for them to sell me on a new direction. I guess, if anything, I'm just annoyed at the AAA-type games homogenizing into 2-3 archetypes. It makes it boring to check out new games, and frustrating if you're not a fan of one the Chosen Game Styles. I already feel like I'm losing out on half of modern gaming because I don't like FPS/multiplayer and I'm impartial to Uncharted-style action games. Nintendo may copy themselves ad nausem, but at least it was different than everyone else! I'm gonna be very disappointed if a 'fresh new Zelda' ends up meaning 'Monster Hunter Clone'.

I seriously doubt it. While I am excited about the new Zelda, I'm also frustrated with the direction they are taking the new Paper Pario. Everything I hated about Sticker Star is back. I and the other 2 million Thousand Year Door diehards are sorely disappointed.

I think the new Zelda has the potential to be epic like OOT. But really how is scavenging food much different from slashing vegetation to find hearts? Only that the former is more believable.

I'm sorta interested in Zelda but the open world concept puts me off along with the conventions that come with that.

I'm not big on crafting in games. When I played Minecraft on my 360 before all the updates, I enjoyed it as I could focus on exploring. Now with the food meter the game became a bit of a chore as I have to "craft" meals for the most benefit. I just want to play.

While the necessity for crafting and hunting adds a level of realism to a game, I personally play games for escapism. I cook for my large family in real life, I don't want to have to do that in a game. If I want to forage herbs or plants for food, my family does that now in real nature.

I think Nintendo is following suit with the other big games like a Skyrim or a Witcher to try and grab a slice of that audience. Or perhaps win some ofvthat group back if they cut their teeth on Zelda games past and wanted something with more sophistication.

• Like 2

Ditto. Super Paper Mario was a nice diversion and a truly fun game, but I expected them to return to their roots with Sticker Star. I was excited to learn that they had returned to a turn based battle mechanic, until I bought the game and realised it was totally devoid of any personality. Mario has no partners whatsoever, not even a bog standard jump and hammer attack, but instead has to collect stickers to use in battle. What's worse, more powerful attacks take up 4x the space in your album. And woe be unto Mario should he use up all his stickers in a battle and forced to forfeit. In the classic series, Mario didn't simply give up if he ran out of items or Flower Power. He used every last trick in the book, partners, star power, jump and hammer, whatever it took until he either fell or defeated his nemesis. And the new Paper Mario for Wii-U seems to rely entirely on a card mechanic that replaces the role of stickers in Sticker Star. No evidence of partners in any of the screenshots. Sorry but at $50-$60, that's a pass in my book. :sad:

Do we really have a say, or does Nintendo just think the occasional VC release (whether we own the physical media or not) will shut us up?

wtf Nintendo :(

• Like 1

^^I wish Redbox carried first party Wii-U games. I'd love to test this out over a weekend for a couple bucks to see how lame it is. But I am not spending $60 on this... icon_confused.gif??:

I have a little bit of hope but I wont hold my breath seems most people are upset. I'm going to wait for reviews but yeah I wish I can just try it out first. I keep reading rumors about a Thousand Year door remake or re-release....I really hope that happens cause it would be cool to play again on an HD set:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/16/nintendo-might-remaster-paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-if-fans-are-vocal/

I have a little bit of hope but I wont hold my breath seems most people are upset. I'm going to wait for reviews but yeah I wish I can just try it out first. I keep reading rumors about a Thousand Year door remake or re-release....I really hope that happens cause it would be cool to play again on an HD set:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/16/nintendo-might-remaster-paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-if-fans-are-vocal/

I hope so. BTW I watched the source video and unless there's some additional mention of remasters not otherwise mentioned, I'd put that in the salt mine. That said, nearly every Zelda has been remastered now, both 64 titles on 3DS and both Game Cube titles on Wii-U. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 got remade and so did Pikmin 1 & 2. Now that Nintendo has run out of Zeldas, the idea of remastering Sunshine or Thousand Year Door seems like a good prognosis. Every pre Game Cube Mario Title has been remastered or reissued in some form or fashion. SMB 1, 2, 3 each go remastered twice (All Stars, GBC, and GBA) followed by SMW and Yoshi's Island (GBA) and Mario 64 (DS). New Super Mario Brothers has been tapped out for the time being, so Sunshine and Paper Mario TTYD seem like logical next steps. I would especially love to see a 2-in-1 remaster of PM64 and TTYD.

That said, nearly every Zelda has been remastered now, both 64 titles on 3DS and both Game Cube titles on Wii-U

Only the 3D efforts of course.

I'm hoping to see Skyward Sword HD eventually, but I suppose that hinges on if the Wiimote or equivalent will be part of Nintendo's future or if they'd revamp it for traditional controls.

I wouldn't call the New Play Control lineup remakes. They were almost 1:1 ports with the additions largely limited to 16:9 modes and Wii motion controls. Nintendo has done very few remakes or remasters, concentrating largely on ports with minor changes.

Edited by Atariboy

Only the 3D efforts of course.

I'm hoping to see Skyward Sword HD eventually, but I suppose that hinges on if the Wiimote or equivalent will be part of Nintendo's future or if they'd revamp it for traditional controls.

I wouldn't call the New Play Control lineup remakes. They were almost 1:1 ports with the additions largely limited to 16:9 modes and Wii motion controls. Nintendo has done very few remakes or remasters, concentrating largely on ports with minor changes.

Remake, remaster, port, it's all pretty much the same thing. An old game is given a facelift with new HD visuals, art, etc and possibly new control scheme. In short it's still the same game, occasionally with a bit of extra polish or new areas to explore.

Compare those to sequels. Link Between Worlds was the first Zelda game I actually completed, and was based largely on the setting of Link to the Past, even using the much of the same World map. Yet it was technically a spiritual successor, and entirely new game.

New Super Mario Brothers are distinct games despite reusing the same assets until it ran the seies ragged. NSMBU + Luigi U is still the strongest entry in the series IMO. However if they copied the physics and level design of Super Mario Brothers exactly, it would simply be Allstars with NSMB artstyle.

One great DS game reused the best stuff from Mario series, even taking Wario's ground pound and M64's wall jumps, and three games later they've really added nothing new. Now they're modelling the 3D games off the NSMB design rather than creating imaginative worlds.

And the less said about the current direction of the Paper Mario series, the better. We can only hope for a remake or spiritual sequel to The Thousand Year Door. But I digress.

Back to the point, remake or port =/= sequel or spiritual successor. I hope that makes sense.

Not to me.

A port is when a game is brought to hardware it wasn't originally planned for with minimum changes, such as Twilight Princess on the Wii or the New Play Control line. A remaster is when it's given a new coat of graphical polish such as Super Mario All-Stars while leaving the underlying game largely alone. Then you have your remakes like Metroid Zero Mission that take an earlier game and rebuilds it from the ground up for modern hardware.

Not that it matters much. :)

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 5

Looks like they changed the graphics style for the new zelda game compared to their original trailer from a few years back. Kinda doesn't really feel anything at all like the original trailer. After 2 year of waiting since the initial showing, with it not being out til 2017, I'd have to wonder if I'm really that excited for it anymore.

I thought the opposite if you're referring to this, but I tried to only view 5-10 minutes from E3 since I didn't want to spoil it any. Still looks like a hybrid of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword's graphical styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAmIQSFl8I

Either way it sure looks good from an artistic standpoint although I agree with Austin and think that the Wii U is perhaps showing its age a bit from the technical side.

Edited by Atariboy

I thought the opposite if you're referring to this, but I tried to only view 5-10 minutes from E3 since I didn't want to spoil it any. Still looks like a hybrid of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword's graphical styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAmIQSFl8I

Either way it sure looks good from an artistic standpoint although I agree with Austin and think that the Wii U is perhaps showing its age a bit from the technical side.

Well they have confirmed an Amiibo based on that monster from the e3 2014 Zelda trailer so it's not a "beta" element. Also do I get the Wii-U or NX version of this title? Decisions...

And LOL on the 2015 bit! I wouldn't consider 2015 a particularly slow year with Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Wholly World, but a brand new Zelda would have helped. Nice they gave us Twilight Princess as well.

I'm "meh" on Paper Mario as well. Gimmicky controls? Yeah.. I'll wait for the reviews. Shame is, Redbox doesn't carry Wii U games. I'd be happy to rent a game to try it out and take it back the next day if I had the option.

I really hope Nintendo's next system doesn't rely on a unique control setup. I'm getting tired of this forced-gimmick nonsense just to justify the fact the system utilizes a specialty controller.

I picked up Star Fox last week on a whim and already wish I hadn't. The controls and gimmicks are horrible. I feel like Nintendo's losing sight of what once made them great--highly polished games that focus on good, simple fun. Mario Galaxy was a nice change of pace nearly ten years ago, but please, can we get back to "normal" already? :|

• Like 3

I picked up Star Fox last week on a whim and already wish I hadn't. The controls and gimmicks are horrible. I feel like Nintendo's losing sight of what once made them great--highly polished games that focus on good, simple fun. Mario Galaxy was a nice change of pace nearly ten years ago, but please, can we get back to "normal" already? :|

Mario Galaxy (both titles) were the high point in the Mario series as far as I'm concerned. It's gone downhill since, although Mario Maker is excellent even if the user made levels are highly inconsistent.

Apparently there was an 8 hr line to play Zelda at E3, and a 4 hr line to WATCH someone play. Perhaps they're not as big as they once were, but it seems there's still plenty of interest and enthusiasm in the fanbase.

8 hours to play; 4 hour line to watch? Pass...

I feel bad for anyone who arrived late to the booth (like after lunch) and waited in line all day long until e3 closed. :sad:

• Like 1

A shame that the high sales didn't actually mean much to actual gamers, or devs, since most Wiis sold rarely sold any other games after the hardware - the casual crowd were getting it as a party game and that was about it.

If "no one bought software", then the Wii wouldn't have sold 900 million games on 100 million consoles sold. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

I know the Wii has that reputation, but the facts don't support it. There is an element of truth though in that software could struggle on that system.

For a console that sold as much as it did, 3rd party games didn't perform as well as expected given the install base and hardcore games could struggle as well. There are definitely examples of 3rd party titles and hardcore titles being million sellers, but there are plenty of surprise flops too.

It became a bit of a vicious cycle too ... if the games didn't pull the numbers expected, the developers didn't put the effort into the games. I definitely remember a number of developers decrying the system as a GameCube 1.5, but then turning around and delivering a GameCube 0.5 level game on the machine.

I don't think Apple would know what to do with them. They never really supported games. Their "benign neglect" of the App Store is the best thing they've ever done, building an ecosystem and marketplace but leaving the creative stuff to developers. People who don't enjoy it can say it's a toilet, but the good stuff in there is where I like to spend my gaming time and attention nowadays. It's the true heir to classic gaming as far as I'm concerned.

I initially thought Apple and Nintendo would make a great fit ... more about end user and less about tech for the sake of tech. They're also both surprisingly small in terms of headcount relative to their revenues. When the Apple TV fourth gen came out with apps, i thought a Nintendo acquisiton would give them killer apps they could make exclusive and the companies would fit well together.

Reality - now that I've had Apple TV for a few months - is that it seems devoid of apps and is almost like a forgotten platform.